View Poll Results: Which play should sum up SB 47?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • TD Pass to Boldin

4 5.88%
  • TD pass to Pitta

1 1.47%
  • TD pass to Jacoby Jones

16 23.53%
  • Jacoby Jones 108 yard KR TD

7 10.29%
  • Joe Flacco audibles to pass on 3rd and 1 to convert

22 32.35%
  • The 4th down goal line stand

15 22.06%
  • The final play punt return

0 0%
  • Other

3 4.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

What was the signature play of Super Bowl 47?

Just a fun little exercise....if you had to pick one play that, in 15-20 years, would sum up Super Bowl 47 in a nutshell, what would it be? For example, in the Colts-Saints SB, I'd pick the onside kick to start 2nd half. In the Steelers-Cardinals SB, I'd pick the Holmes TD catch.

Choices

1. TD pass to Boldin
    2. TD pass to Pitta
    3. TD pass to Jacoby
    4. Jacoby's KR
    5. Joe audibles on 3rd and 1 to a pass
    6. The 4th down stand
    7. The final play punt return
    8. Other play (list it)
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: What was the signature play of Super Bowl 47?

I opted for the goal line stand, because that was the closest thing to the play which you didn't list: the clock-eating intentional safety.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Good poll, I like it. Interesting question as it's "signature" play, not necessarily best or most important or game changing play.

I went with the TD pass to JJ12. Mainly because it echoed the one in Denver (eerie similarity) and its the one that pops into my head most often when recalling the game.

The rest of the world will remember it for the blackout. Which is kind of appropriate for a team named for a poem, which contains the "signature" line: "Darkness there, and nothing more."

Blog Entries

Yeah, which is why I put down the onside kick for the Saints-Colts game...to me, the PLAY of the game was Porter's Pick 6. That was what pretty much decided the game. BUT, that onside kick was that moment of "we're going balls to the wall" and they got it. Probably in the mix, had we picked it up, would be Tucker's fake FG run. That was a gutsy move, just like our current leading play, which is the Flacco audible.

I chose the Jacoby TD because it showed our relentlessness. Jacoby gets a deep pass, goes to the ground, and DOESN'T GIVE UP ON THE PLAY. He could've easily just taken the huge gain and Joe gets a TD or Ray Rice gets a TD in the next few plays. But he bounced up, JUKED out a DB, and then beat another DB to the endzone.

The intentional safety...eh, to some point, it would be in the discussion, and certainly I think it was a brilliant coaching decision, but half of that was the call for everyone to hold in the endzone, knowing a penalty would give us the same outcome, AND the NFL rules don't state that time would get added back for the 49ers. My close 2nd to the Jacoby TD was the 4th down stand, with 3rd and 1 audible being 3rd.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

I am going to pick a play that happened early in the game that took points off the board and tilted the momentum to the Ravens side. It was the Ravens 7-3 with SF driving easily and Upshaw forced thier RB to cut a run wide and that forced the runner to cut inside and then he was hit AGAIN by Upshaw trailing the play (never stopped pursuing) and forced a fumble that the Ravens recovered. Huge play that changed the game early on. Rewatched the game a few times and that play always stood out to me as a momentum and game changer and proved big later on with those points taken off the board. So I voted other. I don't know if people remember that incredible play by Upshaw or not, never gave up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    I am going to pick a play that happened early in the game that took points off the board and tilted the momentum to the Ravens side. It was the Ravens 7-3 with SF driving easily and Upshaw forced thier RB to cut a run wide and that forced the runner to cut inside and then he was hit AGAIN by Upshaw trailing the play (never stopped pursuing) and forced a fumble that the Ravens recovered. Huge play that changed the game early on. Rewatched the game a few times and that play always stood out to me as a momentum and game changer and proved big later on with those points taken off the board. So I voted other. I don't know if people remember that incredible play by Upshaw or not, never gave up.
    I actually almost put that one in. And the Ed Reed pick. That fumble was big, but because of how early it came, it didn't seem quite as "epic" to me. The Pierce FF in the Pats game would be a better example, because at the end of the game, relatively close score, with the Pats driving, it literally flipped the momentum to the Ravens, who never gave it up.

Upshaw running down the runner after forcing him inside is a nice highlight reel play for him.

First down to Q that kept the last field goal drive alive.

We don't convert there, there is no FG, the score is tied and who knows what happens in OT.

Blog Entries

I have to go with the 3rd down pass to Boldin. That was the play of the game under the current circumstances IMO. When Joe dropped back to pass I said "aww shit he's passing....YEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!"
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

I went with the goal line stand. The way San Fran was moving the ball throughout the 2nd half, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that they'd score there.

One of the most important plays of the post-season was the 3rd and 13 from our own 3 in OT in Denver. We don't make that first down, Denver likely scores a game winning FG, and our season ends on January 12.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    I have to go with the 3rd down pass to Boldin. That was the play of the game under the current circumstances IMO. When Joe dropped back to pass I said "aww shit he's passing....YEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!"
    so did Harbaugh on Sound FX. He sees Joe audible out and goes "he's going pass?????.....(Boldin makes the catch) Wow...."

I picked "other". The play that stands out to me is the Ed Reed pick and the subsequent fight at the end of the play. It sums up the game - veteran contribution, defense by the Ravens, first pick thrown by a 49er in Super Bowl history, and the scappy/chippy attitude of both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    so did Harbaugh on Sound FX. He sees Joe audible out and goes "he's going pass?????.....(Boldin makes the catch) Wow...."
    Agree with this. And don't forget what Ray Lewis said while he was sitting on the bench watching......"that's a bold statement".