Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith

Furthermore, I always thought Clayton would be a good fit in a WCO...he just wasn't a good fit in Cam's. I also thought that as a #3 receiver, Clayton wasn't too bad.

That knee injury really killed his career though. But hey, he hung around a lot longer than most guys do.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Clayton really was looking like he finally was going to be the player people thought he was when he ws drafted, in St. Louis. He was lighting it up in thewide open style thy were playing. It's a shame he tore his knee up.

I always thought clayton was solid but not utilized properly. If he were still here and didnt injure his knee i think youd have a totally different opinion. He did have a few good weeks with the rams before blowing it out and really made it look like we might have let go too soon, really.

As far as speed, i never really thought clayton was slow, so its not really shocking to me. You can certainly train up for the 40 but he was drafted as a deep threat but didnt have the same abilities torrey does outside speed.

Torrey may not have had the statistical year i expected but he really impressed me with his improvement, particularly catch radius which ive been critical of. Hes a better football player than clayton but i do agree if clayton had a time machine to play with joe now i think it would be closer than some feel.
    -JAB

No first round draft pick should have had that many drops.

That alone places him in the bust category. He was a class act for sure but he was one Ozzie's very few misses.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Take that, Terry Owens!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Always liked Mark Clayton the person. Mark Clayton the player... Always found a way to not make the play.
    I feel the same way. He was a great guy off of the field, by all accounts, and a great teammate. When Derrick Mason became upset that McNair was throwing to Clayton more than him, you didn't hear a single negative word from Clayton.

However, at the end of the day, he just rarely got it done.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Yep. Big difference between running fast in shorts and running fast with 30 pounds of equipment on.
    Even before the weight of the equipment, the equipment itself restricts your flexibility and comfort.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

That alone places him in the bust category. He was a class act for sure but he was one Ozzie's very few misses.
    Yep. I put him in the same category as Travis Taylor. And we all wanted both those guys to succeed. I would have loved for either of them to live up to their 1st round status. They just didn't.

Blog Entries

When you see a WR drafted in the first round, you expect a guy that will make your QB look good, even better than he really is.

I always remembered Clayton having some kind of nagging injury. I believe he had nagging minor hamstring issues early on in his NFL career that crept up a few times. If my memory is correct that could affect his ability to get separation and show his speed. As others said, 40 times are really like track running while running in a game is different especially with pads, contact, and making cuts and moves while running.

He was a bust for Ravens but Travis Taylor was a bigger bust as Taylor was selected higher and seemed to show less signs of producing versus Clayton. Also Clayton looked very good when he was with the Rams until his devastating injury.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Even before the weight of the equipment, the equipment itself restricts your flexibility and comfort.
    Like Calvin Johnson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    I've always thought 40 yard dash numbers can be misleading for WR's. Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 and I don't think that ended up hurting him.
    Exactly but all coaches swear by the time. Suggs dropped to us because of his poor 40 time. Phil Savage was at that workout at ASU and called Oz and said Suggs just dropped to us. Only Phil and Ozzie knew his greatness was in his first step across the line. That's where he beats everyone.

I'M A FOOTBALL PLAYER, NOT A TRACK STAR. T. SUGGS.

I don't care how fast a WR is, I care that they can catch the football.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Exactly but all coaches swear by the time. Suggs dropped to us because of his poor 40 time. Phil Savage was at that workout at ASU and called Oz and said Suggs just dropped to us. Only Phil and Ozzie knew his greatness was in his first step across the line. That's where he beats everyone.

I'M A FOOTBALL PLAYER, NOT A TRACK STAR. T. SUGGS.
    Well remember we ended up with Suggs by default after the Minnesota trade debacle. If things had worked out the way the Ravens wanted we would have ended up with Leftwich and not Suggs/Boller.

I do remember Terrell saying something along the lines of "I've never had to run down a QB for 40 yards."

Blog Entries

Billick was talking about the 40 yard dash for o-linemen today. He said something like "When QB's start dropping back 40 yards to pass, I'll worry about 40 times for o-linemen." lol