Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Mark Clayton was a bust to me long before he left the Ravens. From dropped passes against the Patriots to never being able to get open even though he was fast. He was a first round pick that never worked out.
    Hmm. I always wonder how much of it was Clayton and the other not-Mason receivers never getting open or Flacco not trusting them unless they were wide open (3-4 steps). Perhaps it's just my faulty memory, but outside of Heap and Mason, the only time I recall Flacco throwing to anyone those first two years they were at least 3 steps on a defender, generally speaking. With Mason and Heap, you'd see him throw into tight coverage, but no one else.

A receiver's job is to get open, and the QB's job is to throw him the ball. If the QB doesn't trust a wide-out enough to throw it when the receiver has just a step on a defender- which in the NFL is open- that's not really on the receiver. Part of it might be, of course. That lack of trust comes from somewhere. But Flacco was a young guy thrust into starting with a "manage the game, don't turn it over" approach coming from the head coach and the offensive coordinator. Mason gained his trust. Mason was a great receiver. Heap, when he wasn't held back in max protect, was a great tight end. Everyone else? I wouldn't call 'em great.

I think that view was somewhat justified by the success, relatively speaking, Clayton had in the more-open offense of the Rams. I don't think Bradford is a better QB than Flacco, and overall their offense isn't better talent-wise.

With the combo McNair-Boller throwing to him in '06, Clayton had his career year, with 67 catches for 939 yards. That was mostly McNair, of course, but Boller had a few games coming off the bench where he did fairly well in that capacity. And that's in Billick's offensive scheme, which made Cameron look like Mike Martz.

Always liked Mark Clayton the person. Mark Clayton the player... Always found a way to not make the play.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    Easy, put on pads and a uniform. It's a whole new ball game.
    Yep. Big difference between running fast in shorts and running fast with 30 pounds of equipment on.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Yep. Big difference between running fast in shorts and running fast with 30 pounds of equipment on.
    30 pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    30 pounds?
    Really only about half of that. The helmet is 7-8 pounds, the shoulders are 3-5, thighs, knees, shoes, and cup are maybe 3 between them.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post

Really only about half of that. The helmet is 7-8 pounds, the shoulders are 3-5, thighs, knees, shoes, and cup are maybe 3 between them.
    Not even that. The Revo Speed helmets and DNA helmets are 5 or less depending on the facemask. And they're safer than the other heavier helmets.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Furthermore, I always thought Clayton would be a good fit in a WCO...he just wasn't a good fit in Cam's. I also thought that as a #3 receiver, Clayton wasn't too bad.

That knee injury really killed his career though. But hey, he hung around a lot longer than most guys do.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Clayton really was looking like he finally was going to be the player people thought he was when he ws drafted, in St. Louis. He was lighting it up in thewide open style thy were playing. It's a shame he tore his knee up.

Blog Entries

I always thought clayton was solid but not utilized properly. If he were still here and didnt injure his knee i think youd have a totally different opinion. He did have a few good weeks with the rams before blowing it out and really made it look like we might have let go too soon, really.

As far as speed, i never really thought clayton was slow, so its not really shocking to me. You can certainly train up for the 40 but he was drafted as a deep threat but didnt have the same abilities torrey does outside speed.

Torrey may not have had the statistical year i expected but he really impressed me with his improvement, particularly catch radius which ive been critical of. Hes a better football player than clayton but i do agree if clayton had a time machine to play with joe now i think it would be closer than some feel.
    -JAB

No first round draft pick should have had that many drops.

That alone places him in the bust category. He was a class act for sure but he was one Ozzie's very few misses.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No first round draft pick should have had that many drops.
    Take that, Terry Owens!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Always liked Mark Clayton the person. Mark Clayton the player... Always found a way to not make the play.
    I feel the same way. He was a great guy off of the field, by all accounts, and a great teammate. When Derrick Mason became upset that McNair was throwing to Clayton more than him, you didn't hear a single negative word from Clayton.

However, at the end of the day, he just rarely got it done.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore