Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,959
    Blog Entries
    1

    Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith



    Torrey Smith ran a 4.43 40 yard dash. Mark Clayton ran a 4.41.

    How does that happen? Watching them on the field, Torrey Smith looks 10 times faster. Torrey looks like he runs a sub 4.3, but Clayton looked like he ran a 4.5 or so. He was barely any faster than an old Derrick Mason.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern PA
    Posts
    5,056
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith

    I've always thought 40 yard dash numbers can be misleading for WR's. Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 and I don't think that ended up hurting him.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,337
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith

    You can actually train specifically for the 40 yard dash, in somewhat similar fashion to a track meet. Stories are often told of players who specifically mold their running technique to gain a faster time in the dash. However, that doesn't nearly translate to the football field as much.

    There are more variables in play, on the field: The pads, the contact, etc.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  4. #4

    Re: Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith

    it could easily jsut be that Torrey Smith is a poor starter in that scenario. As was jsut said, it's sort of like track training to get off to a good start.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,337
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith

    Torrey's specialty seems to be his acceleration more than his pure speed.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    3,671
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Torrey's specialty seems to be his acceleration more than his pure speed.
    How many time have we seen Torrey seemingly blanketed by a secondary when he kicks in the overdrive & blows right past them? And once the DBs learn from bitter experience & give that top gear the respect it deserves, all the underneath routes open up.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith

    Jerry Rice, suprisingly, was talking about the 40 times today at the Combine (according to Scott and Jeremy). Said that taking a 40 time isn't a good indicator of things like "can a WR beat a jam off the line and accelerate downfield to get open?"

    With Torrey, you can see that he has a tremendous 2nd gear. He'll be running full speed, spot the ball in the air, and suddenly his speed jumps to catch up to the ball.

    You also have to remember...Clayton with Joe only was 2008 and 2009. Those were the prime years of the Cam-cuffs, Joe wasn't doing anything like he is now with Torrey. That's not to say that Torrey isn't a superior WR, but I don't think you can showcase Clayton's speed as much when Joe's passes were mostly out patterns.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,959
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Jerry Rice, suprisingly, was talking about the 40 times today at the Combine (according to Scott and Jeremy). Said that taking a 40 time isn't a good indicator of things like "can a WR beat a jam off the line and accelerate downfield to get open?"

    With Torrey, you can see that he has a tremendous 2nd gear. He'll be running full speed, spot the ball in the air, and suddenly his speed jumps to catch up to the ball.

    You also have to remember...Clayton with Joe only was 2008 and 2009. Those were the prime years of the Cam-cuffs, Joe wasn't doing anything like he is now with Torrey. That's not to say that Torrey isn't a superior WR, but I don't think you can showcase Clayton's speed as much when Joe's passes were mostly out patterns.
    Good point. To be honest, it would be very interesting to see how Mark Clayton circa 2005/2006 would fare in this offense next year. Though it's pretty inexplicable how he got washed up after two seasons.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith

    He had a pretty horrid knee injury. Broken patella. It's pretty gruesome to google it...
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Jerry Rice, suprisingly, was talking about the 40 times today at the Combine (according to Scott and Jeremy). Said that taking a 40 time isn't a good indicator of things like "can a WR beat a jam off the line and accelerate downfield to get open?"

    With Torrey, you can see that he has a tremendous 2nd gear. He'll be running full speed, spot the ball in the air, and suddenly his speed jumps to catch up to the ball.

    You also have to remember...Clayton with Joe only was 2008 and 2009. Those were the prime years of the Cam-cuffs, Joe wasn't doing anything like he is now with Torrey. That's not to say that Torrey isn't a superior WR, but I don't think you can showcase Clayton's speed as much when Joe's passes were mostly out patterns.
    Very true.

    There are hardly any easy throws for Joe under Cam, but that also worked both ways for the WRs, there were barely any easy routes to run in Cams offense either, no easy catches, no nothing.




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Good point. To be honest, it would be very interesting to see how Mark Clayton circa 2005/2006 would fare in this offense next year. Though it's pretty inexplicable how he got washed up after two seasons.
    It's totally explainable.

    He shredded is patellar tendon.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,959
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's totally explainable.

    He shredded is patellar tendon.
    Weird, I don't remember much about that. How many games did he miss? I remember him getting so much hate, which shouldn't have happened if he had a bad injury. Are you talking about the injury while on the Rams?




  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,944
    Blog Entries
    1
    Cam
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Weird, I don't remember much about that. How many games did he miss? I remember him getting so much hate, which shouldn't have happened if he had a bad injury. Are you talking about the injury while on the Rams?
    Hasn't seen the field since.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...atella-tendon/
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,337
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mark Clayton and Torrey Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    How many time have we seen Torrey seemingly blanketed by a secondary when he kicks in the overdrive & blows right past them? And once the DBs learn from bitter experience & give that top gear the respect it deserves, all the underneath routes open up.
    That is why we see the safeties so deep on his side. When Jim Caldwell took over, he did a better job of utilizing the shorter routes and even using some more of the intermediate in routes that cut the safety off, before he can get to the play.

    Torrey did a better job this year, of fighting through the jam. If he gets a little more upper body strength, he is going to be even more dangerous. Then, with Caldwell continuing as the OC, you have to believe that some of those slants and hooks we saw in Indianapolis will be used more. Especially, with Torrey Smith, as they set up the deeper routes (Slant and go, stutter and go).
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland