Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: The Story of John Harbaugh & Bryant McKinnie

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Even if we can all agree that in a vacuum the 5 best offensive linemen as a group had to include McKinnie, Harbaugh had to make a decision based not just on how to make the OL best, but how to coach his team overall the best. There are off-the-field factors to consider as well regarding to the message you send to your team, like the need to work hard and be in shape in order to play. From Harbaugh's perspective, if he keeps cutting breaks for McKinnie that could demotivate and demoralize other guys on the team. That could create more problems in the long run.
    Thank you for articulating something that has been tickling the back of my brain for awhile.

Nice article... but something huge is missing. For all the anonymous sources, for all the assumptions and suppositions (no matter how well supported), for all the various navel-gazing, I know one thing that this article completely fails to omit and without which we're not even having this conversation.

If Jah Reid hadn't been injured, does McKinnie even see the field? Because I don't think he does, and for all the "feel-goodery," what proof do we have that the true explanation isn't the simplest one: that McKinnie played because he was the next man up on the depth chart?
    Along those lines, it really doesn't address WHEN, exactly, McKinnie worked himself into shape. It just sort of assumes that it took him until he was actually inserted into the lineup to get in shape. So the question remains: was the injury to Reid the catalyst, or was that just a coincidence? I don't think it was a coincidence.

Blog Entries

It will continue to remain a mystery to us for years, just like Cams firing still remains a mystery and will be a mystery for a long long time. Biscotti and Oz strongly deny it came from them, but as much as I love them, I just think Biscotti was the one who made that decision, not Harbaugh.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    It will continue to remain a mystery to us for years, just like Cams firing still remains a mystery and will be a mystery for a long long time. Biscotti and Oz strongly deny it came from them, but as much as I love them, I just think Biscotti was the one who made that decision, not Harbaugh.
    If not for the very real anger Harbaugh displayed at Cameron for all the world to see, I might agree. My best guess is that Harbaugh was genuinely ticked at Cameron, and basically got the okay from Bisciotti to fire Cameron with only a few games left in the regular season. I'm sure Harbaugh knew he'd have support from Bisciotti to fire Cam at the end of the season, but to do it so close to the end of the season, with the post season still looming, took the okay from the owner. At least that's how it makes the most sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    It's a nice uplifting story--two hard-headed guys, "cooler heads" prevailing," working their way to mutual understanding & appreciation & a triumphant ending to the season.

It might even be mostly true. I've seen similar things happen. (Hell, I've been part of some.)

Right now all that can be said with fairly high confidence that it's the story the Ravens want you to hear.

And that's not a knock on anyone involved (McKinnie, Harbaugh, the Ravens, the sources, or Tony)--it's just a realistic conclusion based on how media-savvy organizations (like the Ravens) play the publicity game in this day & age.

Maybe we'll hear something closer to the full story when someone writes his memoirs years from now, when no one would be risking anything--& no one will care much. Right now it's in the interest of everyone involved to put the best possible face on what transpired.

Myself, I am going to reserve judgement until McKinnie & the Ravens part company. I'll take whatever he has to say then with a large grain of salt--but I won't dismiss it out of hand either. Disgruntled former employees aren't above taking gratuitous shots at the old workplace; OTOH, they are also free to speak without risking retaliation--especially if their new job is the last one they'll get in the field before retiring.
    The source was not a member of the Ravens PR dept.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

I still have yet to hear a single person, including the author of the piece, address the reality that given all the evidence we have in front of us, there is NO REASON to believe Bryant McKinnie would have played a single snap for the Baltimore Ravens this past season if not for Jah Reid's toe injury. I'm not placing a value judgment of any kind on that reality but it is a fact.
    And this is a "fact" because?
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    And this is a "fact" because?
    Because it's an opinion that fits a narrative that certain posters love to trumpet wherein one of the preeminent coaches in the NFL is not as smart as them.

John was an idiot for how he treated Gaither, now he's an idiot for how he treated BMac, and it doesn't mean a lick of spit to these future NFL executives of the century that the facts don't support there view because they can always make up new ones.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    The source was not a member of the Ravens PR dept.
    I never said it was, & in fact I never thought it was. Sorry if anyone got that impression.

So long as your sources work for the Ravens (or work for a company that does work for the Ravens) in some capacity, and want to keep doing so, I stand by my post. I can't think of many jobs around the Castle whose holders wouldn't fit that description. Particularly now that it's a world championship organization.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I never said it was, & in fact I never thought it was. Sorry if anyone got that impression.

So long as your sources work for the Ravens (or work for a company that does work for the Ravens) in some capacity, and want to keep doing so, I stand by my post. I can't think of many jobs around the Castle whose holders wouldn't fit that description. Particularly now that it's a world championship organization.
    so the spin doctors tony talked to were really lying and harbs was NEVER going to work with or play McKinnie until someone from this board emailed him like, 'John, you're an 'okay' coach but really dude come on - we need Bryant if we're gonna make this playoff run. I come from a long line of message board ravens fans and as usual, we know best. please do what i ask and don't think twice about it. lazy? who cares, the guy is huge! unmotivated?! who cares about motivation, just win baby!,'. after that email, of course he HAD to start Bryant and the rest is history. It wasn't his experience as a coach or his benching of big mac so the guy would decide once and for all if he actually wanted to play or maybe even some coordinators and other coaches helping the decision along..nope! everyone is lying about it so that it makes for a 'feel good' story. yea, that makes much more sense.