Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Re: The Story of John Harbaugh & Bryant McKinnie

Tony--
    Thanks for the insights.
    Interesting how a guy who apparently has so much physical talent can make or break things with non-physical factors.

I hear "they" say that 50% of the game is 90% mental....or something like that! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I thought Caldwell was the one who influenced HARBs to insert Mc Kinney. Don't forget, at the same time they
    moved Oher back to RT and KO to his natural position of LG and they won all those games in the trenches.

WE all knew it was a weight issue and he was in the dog house but getting out coincides with Caldwell taking over
    the offense. Also HARBS hired his buddy from Philly, Castillo who was the great line coach up there for many years.

I just don't think HARBS did all that on his own. Yea, he made the final decision but he usually listens to his
    coaches.

There was also a thread here that Ray worked with Mc Kinney in the weight room and helped him to lose weight
    and he even got a juicer. Not sure if that's true or a joke but Mc Kinney lost weight.

Anyway, there's a lot of players involved in this story that helped HARBs out.

Mc Kinney actually saved HARBS ass after he was inserted as the line play improved. Games are always won in
    the trenches and we lost those games to Piss, DC and slaughtered by Denver before beating them in the POs
    after those line moves.
    You're giving Mckinnie way too much credit here. If anything Mckinnie saved his own ass by owining up to his shortcomings and going to Harbs personally to see what he can do to get on the field. Furthemore Harbs saved his own ass by making a gutsy (but long overdue) decision to cut ties with his friend Cam. You rarely see a 9-4 team fire their offensive coordinator.

Blog Entries

True.

I'm just giving my own opinion. I said it's what I thought and heard and he saved his ass too. There was a
    thread here about Ray working with him and helped him lose weight. I'm just reporting what I read here.

Sorry I missed you Tony but I didn't miss your little pal.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-21-2013 at 01:47 PM.

I really want to see some sources saying that McKinnie showed up to camp out of shape.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...e-more-weight/

I keep seeing people say this, with absolutely zero proof.

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    I really want to see some sources saying that McKinnie showed up to camp out of shape.

I have seen enough articles that indicated Mckinnie was out of shape when training camp arrived. That article you posted goes back to May, right around OTAs. At the time all indications was that he was in shape, hence the ravens exercised his $500k bonus shortly afterwards. A day or two before training camp is when the weight issues surfaced.

Blog Entries

The fact he was sitting on the bench while Oher often struggled at LT is proof enough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    The fact he was sitting on the bench while Oher often struggled at LT is proof enough to me.
    The fact that it was pretty universally reported by everyone with media access to training camp and never denied by the team or McKinnie is pretty compelling evidence too.

But like HR said, some people just don't want to see the truth through their own fantasies.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Outside of the half dozen or so articles on this very web site, it took a two second Google search with "McKinnie out of shape" to produce this ....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-baltimore/

I mean really. You really expect the team to say it?!?!

But keep thinking it wasn't true even though those at camp saw it first hand. I guess that's your right.

Blog Entries

Here's an nfl source saying why MC KINNEY was kept out of the regular season. It also says
    HARBS went to him after the SB and said we want to talk about next year but look who
    he destroys in the POs.

FREENEY
    DUMERVILLE
    ALDON SMITH

We gotta keep him and get someone for him to groom. Like I posted, we all knew he was
    in the dog house for his weight.

It wasn't long ago that the Ravens were holding McKinnie out of summer sessions because he couldn't keep his weight down. His vanishing act during the regular season seemed to ice his future in Baltimore, but everything he's done since makes this an interesting decision for the front office.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ryant-mckinnie
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-21-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Great stuff!

Yet, there will still be those who will question the notion of him reporting out of shape in spite dozens of reports that support it.

Why this one player is given Gaither-esqu mysticism is beyond me.
    I think he and Gaither both have that mysticism because of Michael Oher.

IT is plain as day to see that Oher cannot play LT at an above average NFL level, yet he is trotted out there game after game. Basically any fat, lazy giant of a man is better then him, meanwhile they sit and Big Mike plays. I think the "apologists campaign" is almost exclusively due to the fact that the coaching staff seems unable to see what us normal fans see easily... that Oher simply cannot play LT. We elevate these fat, lazy out of shape LT's because they are simply better then Big Mike. It's kind fo sad.

Blog Entries

Film Study gave Oher a D for the SB at RT.

It is kind of sad. The scary part is if Ravens cut McKinney and move Big Mike back to LT.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I think he and Gaither both have that mysticism because of Michael Oher.

IT is plain as day to see that Oher cannot play LT at an above average NFL level, yet he is trotted out there game after game. Basically any fat, lazy giant of a man is better then him, meanwhile they sit and Big Mike plays. I think the "apologists campaign" is almost exclusively due to the fact that the coaching staff seems unable to see what us normal fans see easily... that Oher simply cannot play LT. We elevate these fat, lazy out of shape LT's because they are simply better then Big Mike. It's kind fo sad.
    Except they're not. McKinnie played better AFTER he got into shape, and Gaither played better BEFORE he went lazy as fuck. Michael Oher keeps getting sent out there because unlike those guys, he puts in the work every single day. Yes, he's only a middling left tackle, but do you honestly believe Harbaugh is so stupid that he would keep average on the field while above average sits there?

Of course not. He sends Mike out there because until one of those lazy fat asses gets it into gear, Oher is the best option we have.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron