Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Re: Exclusive or Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag for Flacco?

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    If they want to split the bonus to make a more Cap-friendly 2013 Cap number, they're going to need to do 6 years, IMO.

So.........

6/$114M base deal with $56 guaranteed, incentives/escalators can take the total value higher (much like how his rookie deal was structured)

2013: $30M Signing bonus, $1M base salary = $7M Cap number
    2014: $20M Option bonus, $5M base = $15M Cap
    2015: $8M base = $18M Cap
    2016: $12M base = $22M Cap
    2017: $16M base = $26M Cap
    2018: $22M base = $26M Cap
    I know it's a QB, but I don't really like those numbers...
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I hear ya, but that's the reality of paying top dollar for a QB.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    If they want to split the bonus to make a more Cap-friendly 2013 Cap number, they're going to need to do 6 years, IMO.

So.........

6/$114M base deal with $56 guaranteed, incentives/escalators can take the total value higher (much like how his rookie deal was structured)

2013: $30M Signing bonus, $1M base salary = $7M Cap number
    2014: $20M Option bonus, $5M base = $15M Cap
    2015: $8M base = $18M Cap
    2016: $12M base = $22M Cap
    2017: $16M base = $26M Cap
    2018: $22M base = $26M Cap
    Sounds about what it will take.

We just need to get you in the negotiating room!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Are you kidding me? Those figures are dream come true numbers. His cap hit would be about he same as last year, so we could either lock up the guys that we need to, or roll it over to next year. The high figures in the future will be problems that can plan for ahead of time. And frankly, they won't be that big of a deal considering the TV contract cap bump, and the fact that the contracts QB's will be signing in the future will drawf his deal. I think that Flacco will keep improving and make those figures deserved. If not, that's the joy of non guaranteed contracts in the NFL.

Blog Entries

6 years 120 sounds about right. I think they will definitely try for a six year deal.

But consider the alternative.

Blog Entries

I made the prediction back before the SB, if the Ravens win, I said he gets 6 years for 120 M, and around 50 M guaranteed. I will stick with that prediction, and I honestly don't know why so many people are worrying still, the deal is going to get done this week, just watch.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Seems you are still viewing Flacco as a game manager.

The market is pretty well set. Allowing Flacco to negotiate with other teams simply allows another team to exceed the market.

Blog Entries

However he views Flacco, the Ravens would not have won the Super Bowl without him, he is only entering his prime and gained much of his success dealing with an Offensive Coordinator that drove us all nuts.

If he leaves, don't expect this Ravens team to contend anytime soon. Tony himself asked Steve Bisciotti what he felt the key reason was for the consistent success over the past few years. Steve Bisciotti's answer was Joe Flacco.

The Ravens went seven years without a playoff victory before Flacco came along, despite some of the best defenses in the league and a 2,000 yard rusher. Seven years.

You can talk about how the defense was the main reason for Joe's playoff success if you want to. Just remember 2006. 13-3, Division Championship. Arguably the best Ravens defense since the 2000-2001 defenses. They held Peyton Manning without a single TD..........and still lost.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta told PFT Live that there is virtually no chance of free agent Joe Flacco leaving Baltimore.
    "Probably negligible," DeCosta said. "We have no intentions of letting Joe Flacco leave Baltimore." Both Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen of ESPN have predicted this week that the Ravens will re-sign Flacco before the Combine ends.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    The market is pretty well set. Allowing Flacco to negotiate with other teams simply allows another team to exceed the market.
    If the market were absolutely set, there would already be a deal.

Plus, Tony is talking about the case where a deal isn't made by the time we need to designate the franchise tag. And his argument in support of the non-exclusive tag is fairly solid.

Obviously the non-exclusive tag is by far more preferable if we assume Joe will eventually sign here. So we are left with weighing the risk of exposure against the additional cost of the exclusive tag. I think the risk of exposure is generally exaggerated by many around here, for the reasons Tony mentioned. And the costs of the exclusive tag are generally understated or ignored by many around here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    However he views Flacco, the Ravens would not have won the Super Bowl without him, he is only entering his prime and gained much of his success dealing with an Offensive Coordinator that drove us all nuts.

If he leaves, don't expect this Ravens team to contend anytime soon. Tony himself asked Steve Bisciotti what he felt the key reason was for the consistent success over the past few years. Steve Bisciotti's answer was Joe Flacco.

The Ravens went seven years without a playoff victory before Flacco came along, despite some of the best defenses in the league and a 2,000 yard rusher. Seven years.

You can talk about how the defense was the main reason for Joe's playoff success if you want to. Just remember 2006. 13-3, Division Championship. Arguably the best Ravens defense since the 2000-2001 defenses. They held Peyton Manning without a single TD..........and still lost.
    A-freakin-men!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I made the prediction back before the SB, if the Ravens win, I said he gets 6 years for 120 M, and around 50 M guaranteed. I will stick with that prediction, and I honestly don't know why so many people are worrying still, the deal is going to get done this week, just watch.
    agreed; they'll get it done and likely the terms you are predicting
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The rhetoric coming out of Joe's agent Linta is he's looking to get the top money for any quarterback. If his agent insists in getting over 20m a year this will probably end with a tag. The question for me is Joe the best quarterback in football deserving of the biggest salary? I'm not a hater and I like Joe, but I'm having a hard time understanding why 18 or 19 million a year is an insulting offer. Time is running out and I expect they will have to tag him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    The rhetoric coming out of Joe's agent Linta is he's looking to get the top money for any quarterback. If his agent insists in getting over 20m a year this will probably end with a tag. The question for me is Joe the best quarterback in football deserving of the biggest salary? I'm not a hater and I like Joe, but I'm having a hard time understanding why 18 or 19 million a year is an insulting offer. Time is running out and I expect they will have to tag him.
    Can ya blame his agent for saying that? It's kinda his job. One could make an argument based on the last month-plus that Flacco "deserves" Top QB money. But that doesn't mean that Linta will absolutely walk away from 18 or 19 mil, does it? Anxious to see how this plays out, but I assume our man Joe will be signed by March 1st...