Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Exclusive or Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag for Flacco?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Maybe a BIT of an exaggeration, but have you looked at how stacked the Browns roster is with youth and talent AND with 50 million worth of cap space??

They have an ELITE OL... one of the best in the NFL. Joe Thomas is the best LT in the NFL, Mack is a top 5 center, and the RT they just drafted Mitchell Schwartz looks like a future Pro Bowler. They're not slouches at guard either.

Josh Gordon was very quietly the best rookie WR in the league last year. Greg Little drops a lot of passes but he's a pretty solid #2, Jordan Cameron is a very talented TE, and Trent Richardson is an absolute beast. They are VERY talented on offense and that's with a scrub like Weeden at QB, think how much better they would be with Flacco. The defense is also extremely solid already especially if they stay healthy and Ray Horton has a big impact.

The Browns are a QB away from being contenders and Flacco would solve that problem and more. The Steelers are in disarray next year, the Bengals are still the Bengals, and the Ravens with Tyrod Taylor/Geno Smith/Alex Smith etc. are the worst team in the division. That gives the Browns 5 or 6 easy wins right there PLUS they have a VERY easy schedule next year. Definitely sounds like double-digit wins to me.

The whole point is that to a team without a QB, Flacco is worth 6 or 7 wins, PLUS robbing the same number from the Ravens.
    I have a big problem with your implication that the Browns are better than the Ravens when you take away the QB.

For all of the talent they supposedly have on defense, they weren't exactly good on that side of the ball last year. The only player on D who appears to be a true star any time soon is Haden. And their offense has a lot of question marks, especially with your spinnalicious remarks. Gordon/Little is definitely not better than the Ravens' receivers, their "beast" of a running back (Mr. 3.6 yards per carry himself) doesn't hold a candle to Ray Rice, and I'm pretty sure Jordan Cameron's 226 yards and 1 touchdown win the award for the emptiest "very talented" compliment in the history of mankind.

Compare the talent the two teams have on defense. Compare the talent the two teams have on offense. It does not add up for the Browns on either side of the ball.

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    If Joe Flacco was willing to take less to keep the team together the deal would have been done a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If Joe Flacco was willing to take less to keep the team together the deal would have been done a year ago.
    I don't think it's as simple as that.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

I'm thinking non-exclusive too, if it has to come down to it (which I don't).

To give up two firsts AND have to BLOW the Ravens offer out of the water, I don't think it's very possible. Joe isn't going to play for the Browns, get real.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post

To give up two firsts AND have to BLOW the Ravens offer out of the water, I don't think it's very possible. Joe isn't going to play for the Browns, get real.
    The Redskins gave up 3 1st's for RG3. Why wouldn't a team give up 2 1st's for Flacco?

Because they'd also have to give him 120 million ontop of the 2 draft picks. RGIII isn't making a third of that.

Blog Entries

Drew Brees went to a Saints team with just 1 playoff win in the history of the franchise. I absolutely think that Joe wants to stay here but with a new owner, GM, and coaching staff and a boatload of money the Browns can absolutely make the case that they aren't the same team as in years past. They are going to sign some big name free agents that wouldn't have been interested in the past.

Blog Entries

I think some teams would be a lot more hesitant than we think.

Just look at Mike Wallace last year. Are you telling me that the Niners spent their 1st rounder better on AJ Jenkins rather than sending it to the Steelers for Wallace? AJ Jenkins didn't even play.

My point is that [most] teams are a lot more reluctant to give up a ton of draft picks.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    The Redskins gave up 3 1st's for RG3. Why wouldn't a team give up 2 1st's for Flacco?
    Because they'd also have to give him 120 million ontop of the 2 draft picks. RGIII isn't making a third of that.
    RGIII is also 23 years old.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Drew Brees went to a Saints team with just 1 playoff win in the history of the franchise. I absolutely think that Joe wants to stay here but with a new owner, GM, and coaching staff and a boatload of money the Browns can absolutely make the case that they aren't the same team as in years past. They are going to sign some big name free agents that wouldn't have been interested in the past.
    This is a good point, but [and people don't ever seem to consider this] just because Haslam starts throwing money at players in free agency doesn't mean that they will or even want to go to Cleveland. There are always going to be players like Mario Williams who want to take the money and run, but there are also a lot of players who would rather make good money while playing for a good organization.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    RGIII is also 23 years old.
    And he was an unproven rookie at the time he was drafted.