Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Exclusive or Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag for Flacco?

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    I think that what people fail to realize about the Browns is that they wouldn't just have to top our offer, they would have to crush our offer. Who in their right minds would walk away from a Super Bowl team with potential Pro Bowlers at every offensive position to get crushed on a weekly basis, and not sniff the play-offs from an extra million or two ayear. I'd say that it would have be $25-26 million per year for Flacco to think about it. Would a team be willing to pay that much and give up 2 first rounders?
    The Browns are a lot closer than you give them credit for.

Their defense is young and full of playmakers. They have a young bruising RB and a very good o line with a premier LT. Rob Chudzinski is a creative offensive mind that made Derek Anderson look good.

Their downfall last year was no QB and no real receiving threat. Joe and Mike solve that and I guarantee that Mike Wallace would set records catching the most TD's over 60 yards in 1 season.

If they add Joe and Mike Wallace that team probably wins the division and is a real contender going into 2014.

It's worth giving up fort knox to secure a QB that could lead you to a title in 2 years. The people in Cleveland would erect a statue for Joe in 2015.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    I think that what people fail to realize about the Browns is that they wouldn't just have to top our offer, they would have to crush our offer. Who in their right minds would walk away from a Super Bowl team with potential Pro Bowlers at every offensive position to get crushed on a weekly basis, and not sniff the play-offs from an extra million or two ayear. I'd say that it would have be $25-26 million per year for Flacco to think about it. Would a team be willing to pay that much and give up 2 first rounders?
    Cleveland has the money to do it and add some weapons around him. Their offensive line is already good. Their RB is good. They need some WRs, but would have the money to get them. I could just as easily ask why the Ravens wouldn't pay Flacco 20 million per year after the run he just had an all that he's proven, even while having to deal with Cam Cameron.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Did people forget the Giants game where McKinnie wasn't playing, but Flacco still lit up the Giants?
    The Giants appeared to be in the midst of one of their seasonal "give up" modes that game. Their defense was horrid down the stretch. I get your point however.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    The Giants appeared to be in the midst of one of their seasonal "give up" modes that game. Their defense was horrid down the stretch. I get your point however.
    They still had a good d-line. Pierre-paul is an elite pass rusher.

Blog Entries

Go ahead and put that man out there, and watch what happens. You'd never get another front office job again. We are only thinking about Cleveland.

Think about how many teams would want Flacco, first off:

Buffalo
    Miami
    New York
    Cleveland
    Jacksonville
    Tennessee
    Kansas City
    Oakland
    Arizona

Then, look at how many of them would have the money to sign Flacco

Then, look at how many would be able to add a piece or two around him.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

The Browns with Joe Flacco win 14 games next year, while the Ravens without him would likely be looking for their 3rd or 4th win come December.

It's not complicated. Put the non-exclusive tag on him and at BEST you'll have 6 or 8 teams lined up to make offers, and you'll allow THEM to set the terms of the contract that you supposedly want to sign Flacco to anyway. I'm sure Ozzie would LOVE farming his contract negotiation out to Arizona, Cleveland, or Jacksonville and then signing the offer sheet they put together--if he can. At worst, if they put the tag on Joe March 4th, he's gone, baby, gone 12:01 AM March 5th and the Ravens get to go into 2013 with Geno or Alex Smith at QB.

If it has to be the tag at all, the Ravens are sunk anyway. I think it's preferable for them to simply fold and sign whatever contract Joe's agent puts in front of them. They have no one but themselves to blame.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The Browns with Joe Flacco win 14 games next year

:grbac:

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    :grbac:
    Maybe a BIT of an exaggeration, but have you looked at how stacked the Browns roster is with youth and talent AND with 50 million worth of cap space??

They have an ELITE OL... one of the best in the NFL. Joe Thomas is the best LT in the NFL, Mack is a top 5 center, and the RT they just drafted Mitchell Schwartz looks like a future Pro Bowler. They're not slouches at guard either.

Josh Gordon was very quietly the best rookie WR in the league last year. Greg Little drops a lot of passes but he's a pretty solid #2, Jordan Cameron is a very talented TE, and Trent Richardson is an absolute beast. They are VERY talented on offense and that's with a scrub like Weeden at QB, think how much better they would be with Flacco. The defense is also extremely solid already especially if they stay healthy and Ray Horton has a big impact.

The Browns are a QB away from being contenders and Flacco would solve that problem and more. The Steelers are in disarray next year, the Bengals are still the Bengals, and the Ravens with Tyrod Taylor/Geno Smith/Alex Smith etc. are the worst team in the division. That gives the Browns 5 or 6 easy wins right there PLUS they have a VERY easy schedule next year. Definitely sounds like double-digit wins to me.

The whole point is that to a team without a QB, Flacco is worth 6 or 7 wins, PLUS robbing the same number from the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Bmorecareful hit on the key here. Too much focus is being put on Flacco wanting to stay with a quality organization and not enough focus is being put on how much Flacco has meant to their success that they are heralded for.

The Ravens didn't exactly jump of the gate trying to make Flacco the QB he has become. They held on to Cam Cameron two years too long and stuck with their old 'run the ball, rely on the defense' approach two years too long. Meanwhile, Flacco caught a lot of unnecessary heat for that.

How many games does this team win without Joe Flacco?

If he goes to Cleveland, he's got an offensive line waiting for him. I would look to replace Greg Little, personally, but Josh Gordon is definitely a starting WR. He's got a starting RB and FB. That defense is a solid defense. I mean, Bmorecareful really hit on a lot of it.

I think the vibe is that Flacco should be honored to play for the Ravens, as if the success will continue even if he leaves and as if the organization has backed his individual development and the idea of building the team around him, all along. Neither is true.

Blog Entries

I think the deal will be done by Tuesday. Rack it

I think La Canfora's take on this is probably in the ballpark...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...-a-big-mistake

Yeah, that article sums it up good.

They will get a deal done, but if not before the deadline, I guarantee there is no chance they use the non-exclusive tag. There is no way they will risk losing Flacco. Like somebody else mentioned, it would be such a major PR blunder that would infuriate the fan base. Do you think Biscotti, Ozzie, or Flacco wants to be the guy who does that to these fans?