Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    It's not like shut down corners grow on trees.

Maybe one day I will understand the "logic" of robbing the CB position to fill a need at FS but not likely or anytime soon.

Until then, I will remain thankful this team doesn't listen to the whims of fans and continue to do what they do every year -- address the needs of the team by being smart and with proper value.

Blog Entries

Re: Webb Recovery Time and Long-Term Prospects

IF Reed leaves, I wouldn't be suprised to see Woodson sign here for a deal similar to Jacoby's where it's more of a back end deal.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Ozzie mentioned at the Ravens year end press conference that the draft will focus on the middle of the defense and that includes safeties. Maybe down the road moving Webb to free safety makes a little more sense but definately not next year. I'm not sure if I want my best corner coming off his second ACL injury having to adjust to playing a new position. And yes I'm aware that was his position in college but that was 4 years ago. We need him to focus on getting into football shape and regaining the confidence in both of his knees without having to worry about the demands of playing free safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's not like shut down corners grow on trees.

Maybe one day I will understand the "logic" of robbing the CB position to fill a need at FS but not likely or anytime soon.

Until then, I will remain thankful this team doesn't listen to the whims of fans and continue to do what they do every year -- address the needs of the team by being smart and with proper value.
    Reading comprehension... you guys need it. The fact that moving Webb to FS next year solves the biggest personnel hole on the entire roster is a happy coincidence but not the primary reason to do it at all. This ENTIRE DISCUSSION is predicated on the notion that Webb will not be able to play cornerback at a high level next year due to his injury. I think that's a very real possibility if not the most likely scenario, but if the FO feels confident that he CAN return at 100% on opening day and play corner well all year long, then he should not and will not be moved, and this discussion is moot. But a move to free safety for 2013 or even just the first half of 2013 would be primarily to protect Webb's knee in the event that he is not recovered at 100%.

There is NO argument that the free safety position puts less strain on the ACL than the cornerback position. The best elements of Webb's game are his short-area quickness, agility, and recovery speed. All of those things require planting and cutting every single snap. At free safety he would be asked to plant and cut far less often and would not need to cut as sharply. The transition/learning curve to the position would be virtually nil for Webb IMO, I don't think that's a concern at all.

I don't agree that Webb should play FS long-term. In 2014, he should be 100% recovered from the ACLs, Jimmy Smith and Chykie Brown have hopefully cemented the #2 and #3 CB jobs, Corey Graham will likely have played himself into a big contract the Ravens' can't match, and Ed Reed's heir at FS should have hopefully emerged to lock the position down. From 2014 and on our secondary would be set with Webb moving back to the #1 CB spot.

I read just fine and I wasn't necessarily speaking to you, bmore.

I'll simply restate I'm thankful out FO doesn't listen to fans.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Reading comprehension... you guys need it
    . The fact that moving Webb to FS next year solves the biggest personnel hole on the entire roster is a happy coincidence but not the primary reason to do it at all. This ENTIRE DISCUSSION is predicated on the notion that Webb will not be able to play cornerback at a high level next year due to his injury. I think that's a very real possibility if not the most likely scenario, but if the FO feels confident that he CAN return at 100% on opening day and play corner well all year long, then he should not and will not be moved, and this discussion is moot. But a move to free safety for 2013 or even just the first half of 2013 would be primarily to protect Webb's knee in the event that he is not recovered at 100%.

There is NO argument that the free safety position puts less strain on the ACL than the cornerback position. The best elements of Webb's game are his short-area quickness, agility, and recovery speed. All of those things require planting and cutting every single snap. At free safety he would be asked to plant and cut far less often and would not need to cut as sharply. The transition/learning curve to the position would be virtually nil for Webb IMO, I don't think that's a concern at all.

I don't agree that Webb should play FS long-term. In 2014, he should be 100% recovered from the ACLs, Jimmy Smith and Chykie Brown have hopefully cemented the #2 and #3 CB jobs, Corey Graham will likely have played himself into a big contract the Ravens' can't match, and Ed Reed's heir at FS should have hopefully emerged to lock the position down. From 2014 and on our secondary would be set with Webb moving back to the #1 CB spot.
    Manners and Respect. Go get it. No need to start off a post like that.

[B]

This.

[B]

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This.
    Let me explain myself and offer apologies. PSL, I was moreso responding to HoustonRaven, whose post seemed to drip with derision for anyone who would dare to raise such an idea--although I should admit that was my interpretation and it may not have been intended as such. It seemed to me that the two of you didn't understand my point that moving Webb would be a temporary thing born out of protecting his health rather than "robbing" the position (which I agree with in principle, you don't weaken the CB group to strengthen the FS group.)

So in that respect I disagreed and wanted to point out that you seemed to be giving my comments short shrift. I apologize to the both of you for my uncouth comment, and even if I felt I was responding in kind to HR, it wasn't appropriate. So my apologies.

Blog Entries

Something that concerns me greatly that I feel others are not accounting for is our personnel situation in the secondary as a whole. I get that people don't want to even consider moving Webb and part of the argument for that is our supposed weakness at the CB position. But Corey Graham played Webb's role in 2012 at about 80% of what Webb did in 2011 when he was one of the best corners in all of football. He is under contract for 2013 and is one of the key players on our defense. Jimmy Smith is a first round pick who has immense talent and looked to be putting it together to an extent during the playoff run--he is GOING to be given a chance to grab a starting job in camp. Chykie Brown has upside to improve and even if he wasn't an ideal #3 last year, I think he can challenge for and win that job in 2013. Asa Jackson is a good developmental backup, and there are plenty of late-round options in the draft to round out the 5th spot on the depth chart. Without Webb, we don't look too bad in 2013.

Contrast that to free safety... a position Ed Reed locked down for a decade. A position around which the ENTIRE DEFENSE was built... allowing Ed to roam free on the back end and use his instincts and range to make plays. Ed is fading fast and might not be back next year. We have NOTHING behind him on the depth chart other than Omar Brown (UDFA) and Christian Thompson, who is one of the rawest players on the team and was likely a 3-4 year project when he was drafted out of South Carolina State (he's also more of a strong safety prospect IMO.)

How in the world are we all not freaking out over the free safety position? That is the ONLY position on the team where we literally do not have an NFL caliber player signed for 2013. Even at ILB, we have Jameel McClain, Josh Bynes, Albert McClellan, and Brendon Ayanbadejo... all of whom have made multiple NFL starts. At OT we have Michael Oher, Jah Reid, etc. At NT we have Cody and Ngata. So even compared to all of our other needs, FS is BY FAR the most concerning. Webb would solve that in 2013 while we groom whoever is Ed Reed's long-term replacement.
    If Reed doesn't return, which I think he will, Charles Woodson could be had for pretty cheap. They won't go into the season with just Brown and Thompson on the depth chart. If they don't spend a high draft pick on FS they will bring in a FA.

Let me explain myself and offer apologies. PSL, I was moreso responding to HoustonRaven, whose post seemed to drip with derision for anyone who would dare to raise such an idea--although I should admit that was my interpretation and it may not have been intended as such. It seemed to me that the two of you didn't understand my point that moving Webb would be a temporary thing born out of protecting his health rather than "robbing" the position (which I agree with in principle, you don't weaken the CB group to strengthen the FS group.)

So in that respect I disagreed and wanted to point out that you seemed to be giving my comments short shrift. I apologize to the both of you for my uncouth comment, and even if I felt I was responding in kind to HR, it wasn't appropriate. So my apologies.
    Well, you know what they say about assuming ....

No apology was necessary. Just chill next time. It's just a debate.