Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Webb Recovery Time and Long-Term Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    Webb has a high salary, low bonus contract with a big roster bonus coming up soon. Does it really make sense for us to pay top 5 CB money for a player that may never be the same, and we were able to win a SB without?
    He got a $10M Signing Bonus last year and is due a $5M Option Bonus this year. His 2013 and 2014 base salaries are guaranteed against injury.

Releasing him would cost them more against the Cap than he is set to count, so there's no way that he's going to be released.

Restructuring isn't going to happen either -

1. It doesn't make sense to restructure him and push greater Cap charges into future years; and/or

2. They've got no leverage to force him to consider an actual paycut - not that they would even consider trying.

Lastly, they aren't going to pay Webb that kind of money and willingly move him to Safety. They're paying him to play CB and he's going to get every opportunity to do so. So, until he proves otherwise, he's a CB.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 02-20-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    My question, understanding where you are coming from, would be how much more Gorrer has shown you, compared to Chykie Brown?
    Fair question. The impression I have of Gorrer -- which is admittedly a vague one based on a small number of appearances -- is that he's a decent athlete with solid fundamentals and little flash. That makes him the kind of player who tends to be undervalued because he does his job well but doesn't have a lot of stats to show for it -- in other words, the opposite of Cary Williams this past year, when he had a surprising number of picks for someone so inconsistent in coverage. Needless to say, the Ravens FO is great at identifying such values, and I guess I'm hoping that Gorrer would represent such a value for us now. It does seem convenient since he's already familiar with our system.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, get over it. You saw how good Chykie Brown and Corey Graham were, right? Guess what? They're both signed next year.

Furthermore, why move one of the top young corner backs in the NFL to safety? He'll be fine. He isn't the first guy to deal with multiple knee injuries. He won't be the last. Everyone keeps saying to move Webb to safety, but I'll never understand why. Part of the reason why Webb is so good is because he can play nickel effectively. So, in nickel sets - if he is a safety - what are the Ravens supposed to do? Drop him down to nickel and put someone else in at safety? No.

IMO, the only person in the corner unit who might be a decent candidate to drop back to free safety is Jimmy Smith.
    chykie brown... good? lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post

chykie brown... good? lol
    Yes.

Chykie Brown played pretty well the last half of the season. Better than most of us expected.

Perhaps your definition of good is Darrelle Revis or nothing, but for me when I see a corner sticking with his man and not allowing a receiver to adjust and make a reception, that is playing pretty well.

Even with Chykie Brown on the field, Cary Williams was still the corner being picked on.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post

Fair question. The impression I have of Gorrer -- which is admittedly a vague one based on a small number of appearances -- is that he's a decent athlete with solid fundamentals and little flash. That makes him the kind of player who tends to be undervalued because he does his job well but doesn't have a lot of stats to show for it -- in other words, the opposite of Cary Williams this past year, when he had a surprising number of picks for someone so inconsistent in coverage. Needless to say, the Ravens FO is great at identifying such values, and I guess I'm hoping that Gorrer would represent such a value for us now. It does seem convenient since he's already familiar with our system.
    Gorrer had like one or two good plays against the Jets two years ago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post

If Gorrer is still bouncing around the league, there's probably a reason that he's bounced from team to team since he was released by the Ravens.
    Shhhh...

Gorrer = Darrelle Revis.

Blog Entries

A RSR blogger had a grading of our DBs in 2012, so let's look at his writeup for Mr Brown...

Chykie Brown

2012 Role: Nickel CB (409 snaps, 29%). Chykie was used as an outside corner in the nickel and saw defensive action in 12 of 20 games. Following the injury to Jimmy Smith, he was used extensively, but not without interruption. He lost his nickel role twice with the acquisition of Chris Johnson and return of Jimmy Smith.

What was there to like about his season? For the season, he allowed just 1 TD in 277 drop backs played.

When did he play best? He had 3 PDs against the Giants in week 16 to help the Ravens seal the AFC North.

When did he play poorly? He didn’t play well through the playoffs, accumulating 4 penalties and 3 missed tackles in 4 games (3 as a corner). He messed up the coverage on Welker signaled by Graham during the AFCC to allow the Pats their only TD. He was replaced in the nickel by Jimmy Smith for the Super Bowl.

What was his signature play of 2012? His PD in the divisional game at Denver floated into the hands of Corey Graham who returned it 39 yards to put the Ravens up 14-7. Amazingly, that interception was not even Graham’s signature play of the game.
    What does he need to do better? He needs to be a more consistent tackler, particularly on special teams where he missed 4 while making 11. That included a miss on Holliday’s kickoff return TD in the divisional game at Denver. He had 3 penalties on special teams as well including running into Akers in the Super Bowl which gave the 49ers another shot at 3 points after a miss.

Grades: Play D+, Value C, Developmental C+, Brown was a 5th-round draft pick in his 2nd season. His first opportunity against live fire was better than the replacement level, but not good enough to keep his job secure. There were enough highlights to believe he can contribute at a higher level in the future. His special teams contribution is factored in his grade above. Most teams would love to have a young, 5th corner of Chykie’s current ability and upside. At present, your team would be in trouble if he was 3rd on your depth chart.
    So, let's just look at the grading. His play this year, overall, was just below average. BUT, with this only being his 2nd year, there's hope that he can be coached up a bit better. I would imagine, if you put Gorrer into the same system, he would come away with similar grades. Gorrer was cut by the Ravens....meaning when it came time to form a roster, the team felt someone else was more deserving of a roster spot. Included in those someones was Chykie Brown.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

I think Gorrer had potential but I dont think they made a mistake in releasing him and quite frankly with 11 picks im assuming we pick up a similar player in this draft late.

Ive pretty much ignored the Webb to safety talk in the past. I still dont think its likely or even remotely our best option. that said, terrell thomas (the man with 3 ACL tears) was talking about moving to safety as if its an option for the Giants as well, adding "Ill play kicker if it gets me on the field". Thomas was on track as being a top flight CB as well but is coming to terms with the fact that his knees may not let him. Like I said I dont think its likely, but im not just throwing it out the window immediately like i was. Frankly we have better options on this roster to move if we have a hole. Really depends on what happens in his recovery this time and if hes able to get back his speed and reaction. if another injury occurs, is that when its time to start considering it or is it just cut bait entirely at that point?
    -JAB

FWIW, Gorrer is a ERFA with Tampa, so his services are totally under their control. Short of them non-tendering him, he's going to remain that way until at least cutdowns in August.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Something that concerns me greatly that I feel others are not accounting for is our personnel situation in the secondary as a whole. I get that people don't want to even consider moving Webb and part of the argument for that is our supposed weakness at the CB position. But Corey Graham played Webb's role in 2012 at about 80% of what Webb did in 2011 when he was one of the best corners in all of football. He is under contract for 2013 and is one of the key players on our defense. Jimmy Smith is a first round pick who has immense talent and looked to be putting it together to an extent during the playoff run--he is GOING to be given a chance to grab a starting job in camp. Chykie Brown has upside to improve and even if he wasn't an ideal #3 last year, I think he can challenge for and win that job in 2013. Asa Jackson is a good developmental backup, and there are plenty of late-round options in the draft to round out the 5th spot on the depth chart. Without Webb, we don't look too bad in 2013.

Contrast that to free safety... a position Ed Reed locked down for a decade. A position around which the ENTIRE DEFENSE was built... allowing Ed to roam free on the back end and use his instincts and range to make plays. Ed is fading fast and might not be back next year. We have NOTHING behind him on the depth chart other than Omar Brown (UDFA) and Christian Thompson, who is one of the rawest players on the team and was likely a 3-4 year project when he was drafted out of South Carolina State (he's also more of a strong safety prospect IMO.)

How in the world are we all not freaking out over the free safety position? That is the ONLY position on the team where we literally do not have an NFL caliber player signed for 2013. Even at ILB, we have Jameel McClain, Josh Bynes, Albert McClellan, and Brendon Ayanbadejo... all of whom have made multiple NFL starts. At OT we have Michael Oher, Jah Reid, etc. At NT we have Cody and Ngata. So even compared to all of our other needs, FS is BY FAR the most concerning. Webb would solve that in 2013 while we groom whoever is Ed Reed's long-term replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Something that concerns me greatly that I feel others are not accounting for is our personnel situation in the secondary as a whole. I get that people don't want to even consider moving Webb and part of the argument for that is our supposed weakness at the CB position. But Corey Graham played Webb's role in 2012 at about 80% of what Webb did in 2011 when he was one of the best corners in all of football. He is under contract for 2013 and is one of the key players on our defense. Jimmy Smith is a first round pick who has immense talent and looked to be putting it together to an extent during the playoff run--he is GOING to be given a chance to grab a starting job in camp. Chykie Brown has upside to improve and even if he wasn't an ideal #3 last year, I think he can challenge for and win that job in 2013. Asa Jackson is a good developmental backup, and there are plenty of late-round options in the draft to round out the 5th spot on the depth chart. Without Webb, we don't look too bad in 2013.

Contrast that to free safety... a position Ed Reed locked down for a decade. A position around which the ENTIRE DEFENSE was built... allowing Ed to roam free on the back end and use his instincts and range to make plays. Ed is fading fast and might not be back next year. We have NOTHING behind him on the depth chart other than Omar Brown (UDFA) and Christian Thompson, who is one of the rawest players on the team and was likely a 3-4 year project when he was drafted out of South Carolina State (he's also more of a strong safety prospect IMO.)

How in the world are we all not freaking out over the free safety position? That is the ONLY position on the team where we literally do not have an NFL caliber player signed for 2013. Even at ILB, we have Jameel McClain, Josh Bynes, Albert McClellan, and Brendon Ayanbadejo... all of whom have made multiple NFL starts. At OT we have Michael Oher, Jah Reid, etc. At NT we have Cody and Ngata. So even compared to all of our other needs, FS is BY FAR the most concerning. Webb would solve that in 2013 while we groom whoever is Ed Reed's long-term replacement.
    Ozzie mentioned at the Ravens year end press conference that the draft will focus on the middle of the defense and that includes safeties. Maybe down the road moving Webb to free safety makes a little more sense but definately not next year. I'm not sure if I want my best corner coming off his second ACL injury having to adjust to playing a new position. And yes I'm aware that was his position in college but that was 4 years ago. We need him to focus on getting into football shape and regaining the confidence in both of his knees without having to worry about the demands of playing free safety.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't be surprised to see Emmanuel Cook re-signed as well. The coaching staff is really high on him and, IMO, he would have started over anyone else in Ed Reed's absence.

I'm not saying he could be a good starter, but he certainly has the speed to be a decent centerfielder.

FS is definitely an area of concern.

I'd also like to point out that Christian Thompson was an outside linebacker at Auburn before transferring to SC State.