Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Cosell on running qb's: Running qb's are great but throwing from the pocket is still the best option

Re: Cosell on running qb's: Running qb's are great but throwing from the pocket is still the best option

The zone read option in the long run will just fade away as defenses learn to install "QB read" option in their schemes to counteract.

Re: Cosell on running qb's: Running qb's are great but throwing from the pocket is still the best option

When we contained the edge Kaepernick was very limited in what he could do.....on the plays we got caught inside he just took off.
    Kaep made some nice throws but against good DBs and disciplined pass rush (Seattle. St.L) he is in trouble. Niners may not even make the POs IMO.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

You won't make it through 16 regular season games and 3-4 postseason games with a healthy QB, using the read option as a significant portion of your offense, and win the Super Bowl.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I am not going to crap on the read option just yet. The Niners were one or two plays away from winning the whole thing so the concept obviously has some merits. Too small a sample size.

The Niners were averaging 8 yards a play when they ran a play out of the pistol in the playoffs and Super Bowl so there's obviously a benefit to the system.

The problem, IMO, is the type of QB that runs the system needs to be larger than your average QB to make it work right AND he needs to have some skills in the pocket.

The Niners (and Seahawks) figured this out before the Skins did. CK is a big dude in the sense that he's got thick legs and can take a hit or two. RGIII has some pretty thin legs and now he's working on his second knee surgery of his football career.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You won't make it through 16 regular season games and 3-4 postseason games with a healthy QB, using the read option as a significant portion of your offense, and win the Super Bowl.
    Yet they were one or two plays away from winning the whole thing. I think poor coaching had more to do the Niners issues than the read option.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yet they were one or two plays away from winning the whole thing. I think poor coaching had more to do the Niners issues than the read option.
    To be fair, Kapernick only played 10.

I think the read option will be around, but not as a full-time offense. Too much money is put into a QB to have him standing in the pocket getting smacked around to then also have him run and throw him to the wolves.

Don't remember where I heard it but there is a great quote with this. "There are a lot of great young running qB's... but there are not a lot of old ones"

Blog Entries
    I am not going to crap on the read option just yet. The Niners were one or two plays away from winning the whole thing so the concept obviously has some merits. Too small a sample size.

The Niners were averaging 8 yards a play when they ran a play out of the pistol in the playoffs and Super Bowl so there's obviously a benefit to the system.

The problem, IMO, is the type of QB that runs the system needs to be larger than your average QB to make it work right AND he needs to have some skills in the pocket.

The Niners (and Seahawks) figured this out before the Skins did. CK is a big dude in the sense that he's got thick legs and can take a hit or two. RGIII has some pretty thin legs and now he's working on his second knee surgery of his football career.

The reason why kaepernick has success in the pistol and read option is because he can make throws from the pocket. That was the whole point of the article. If you run a read option with a qb that can't make throws from the pocket it's not going to work. Ie Tyler thigpen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the 49ers losses had more to do with the type of teams they lost to, rather than poor coaching. The 49ers present themselves as a badass, hard-nosed team, but they have trouble with teams who don't back down and aren't intimidated by their posturing.

Blog Entries

Kaepernick didn't start the entire season.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I think the 49ers losses had more to do with the type of teams they lost to, rather than poor coaching. The 49ers present themselves as a badass, hard-nosed team, but they have trouble with teams who don't back down and aren't intimidated by their posturing.
    I agree and feel that has a lot to do with coaching as well.

Reminds me of Rex and the Jets in many ways. We didn't back down from them and he's yet to beat us.

Blog Entries

that article was nothing we don't already know...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    that article was nothing we don't already know...
    You know, that was my first thought as well. It's almost like somebody has to hear everything they believe from the most reputable source, before they will believe it.