Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Anyone else still surprised?

This team can't win on the road, yet that's all they did in the playoffs.

Flacco was wildly inconsistent all season, yet he posts 11 TDs and 0 INTs against the best teams in the league for 4 consecutive weeks.

The team got WORSE as the year went on, yet was at their BEST in the post-season.

I've heard all the explanations (we had our ideal OL personnel, we had injuries all year, etc.) but it still seems highly unlikely this team would wind up winning the Super Bowl given what we saw against the Eagles in the 2nd half, against the Texans, against Charlie freakin' Batch, against the Broncos in the first game, etc.

Pretty awesome surprise.

Blog Entries

Re: Anyone else still surprised?

A lot can change when the OC that's been holding the team back get's fired.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    A lot can change when the OC that's been holding the team back get's fired.
    +1 Jim Caldwell is my most favorite Raven. I laughed when these "analysts" kept saying it was going to be an issue that he's never called plays in the NFL. He's much more of an offensive mind then people give him credit for. Since Caldwell took over, Flacco has thrown 15 tds 1 int.

Caldwell + McKinnie. I'd say that 75% of it. The other 25% was the focus that was brought when Ray announced he was going to retire.

it was an incredible ride. i'm still enjoying it and leaving the reality of why the incredible ride happened for a later date.

Blog Entries

Everybody got healthy at the right time.

Plus, once the handcuffs came off Joe, the offense finally reached the potential that we have seen glimpses of over the last two years. That's why I think it is so important that they keep both Jacoby and Boldin, and hopefully pick up where they left off going into next season.

Blog Entries

Whoever said we can't win on the road?

Joe Flacco has the NFL RECORD for playoff road wins!
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

After the win over the Giants, I told many friends(who were still skeptical) that this team was going to do some damage. I just didn't know quite how much :D

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    After the win over the Giants, I told many friends(who were still skeptical) that this team was going to do some damage. I just didn't know quite how much :D
    I went apeshit there too. And then I got sucked into the awkwardness of that 2nd Bengals game.

I sincerely predicted a win over the Colts and DONE.

Yet here I am waiting for my Super Bowl champs DVD to show up in March.

Blog Entries

I wasn't surprised. Shocked, but not surprised. The shock was because you hope for this every year, and when it happens (finally!) there's a definite blast of emotion.

I've always said this team was capable of beating any team on game day. Even after some of their less-than-stellar wins or bad losses. The Ravens have, for the last five seasons, dictated whether they won or lost. Other teams didn't impose their will on them. Last year they led in every single game. That's an amazing feat. It would have been more amazing if they'd led at the final gun in every single game, of course, but even coughing up the four they did it's an amazing feat.

This year wasn't quite as amazing in that regard, but the Ravens were still their own biggest opponent in every contest.

I disagree with the characterization of Flacco as "inconsistent." The offense was inconsistent, and Flacco isn't a QB who overcomes his offense's inconsistencies. I don't know if there's ever been such a QB, but Flacco ain't it. I think he personally has been quite consistent. Not perfect, by any means. Even after this amazing postseason run he still has areas of his game he could improve on. But he's earned the nickname "Joe Cool" with his demeanor and approach to the game.

Surprised we won the Superbowl? Yes.

Surprised at how much better our offense was after firing Cam? No.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
    I sincerely predicted a win over the Colts and DONE.
    That was my feeling too, but I felt that we did have a chance against the Broncos, just not a great one. After that though, I knew nothing was stopping them from winning a Lombardi.