Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Anyone else still surprised?

Super bowl champions! Not suprised after we beat denver

2. Re: Anyone else still surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Surprised we won the Superbowl? Yes.

Surprised at how much better our offense was after firing Cam? No.

I felt all year long, even after every injury, the 3 game losing streak, and all of the doubt that this team would come through in the long run. I just personally couldn't stand all the talk about being blown out vs Denver and New England. I had no problem with anyone picking those 2 over us as long as it was by 3 points.

I was almost ready to lose hope but the second I heard Cam was fired...I thought back to 2010. That team without Cam would have easily been AFC champions, but that 2nd half play calling in Shittsburgh was AWFUL...and we coughed that one up. Jim Caldwell took risks, let Joe throw over the middle, was a bit puzzling with the running in the playoff denver game but usually let Joe throw on early downs. The biggest problem with Cam was making Joe throw in 3rd and long situations.

I'm mostly shocked we beat Denver...I thought it'd be a close game. The second we turned the ball over on downs I went back into my "here we go again" mode that I'm sure we're all accustomed to from the Polamalu pick 6, Housh drop, and Cundiff miss. I actually even moved my remote to right next to me so I could turn off the game the second our season ended lol.

To sum it up: I'm surprised at how we did it but I'm not shocked that we did do it. Health is probably the most important key to winning in the playoffs aside from skill...and we got lucky down the stretch. GO RAVENS!!!

Blog Entries

I was concerned about JOe's "road syndrom" but posted we matched up better with SF and we did.

It was a blow out until Ngata went down but Joe did so well in the first half he just needed two 4th qtr FGs
    to ice it. All during the POs on the road he played well especially in Denver and NE. Let's see if he
    can duplicate it next year.

Blog Entries

When they went into Denver and won that game, which I was pretty confident they could do, I knew they had a good chance to win it all. But yes, I'm still mentally pinching myself that they actually did it.

Gonna be a different team next year and likely will only have Caldwell one year. Gotta enjoy this win a while

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I think I called the team getting players back and synching up for a SB run around the Pitt loss. I didnt see it happening the way it did with the losses in a row and shuffling everything around but with all our woes i never really thought we couldnt beat just about anybody in the AFC. After the Broncos loss i certainly questioned how likely that was but i still thought they could. Obviously I didnt think they were the favorites but i thought they were certainly capable of winning.

I think the playoffs have pretty much showed us its not about how you get there but what you do when you are.
    -JAB

6. Re: Anyone else still surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    Caldwell + McKinnie. I'd say that 75% of it. The other 25% was the focus that was brought when Ray announced he was going to retire.
    McKinnie is so important because putting him in instantly upgraded 3 of the 5 line positions. And Flacco played the best five-game stretch of his career (NYG + playoffs) which you probably can't definitively say is Caldwell taking over, but man, what a correlation.

Blog Entries

I'll put it this way: Cam's consistency was the reason for the offense's INconsistency. His refusal to adapt game plans, means every time we trotted out the same game plan against different opponents we got different results. It appeared inconsistent on tape, because the things that worked against Oakland didn't work against Houston. Obviously Cam's game plan works better against certain teams than others. His reluctance to adapt meant that the consistent game plan was known by opponents. Just like Boldin said in SD, the defense was just sitting waiting because they knew what routes would be called. So...Cam's consistency (aka stubbornness) was the reason for our inconsistency because he refused to adapt. That showed up week-to-week depending on our opponent.

Also, I am a strong believer that Flacco playing all those tough games on the road in Pitt hardened him and made him ready to face any challenge. Flacco is much more battle tested than someone like Matt Ryan, who has done nothing but face jello defenses in cozy confines.

IMO, part of the reason why Flacco is asking for #1 money (besides the obvious that of course you start off asking for #1 money from a negotiation standpoint) is that he has seen it all. He has seen 3 AFCCG's. He blew his first as a rookie with a horrible pick, in a very tough environment against a very tough defense. He has played in tough venues, in outdoor elements (NE, Denver, KC, Pitt, etc.). He has been through it all, and is now entering his prime, with so much knowledge and experience to fall back on. That is what you are paying him for in part. You are paying him because he knows what it feels like to lose, and also what it feels like to be on top. Meaning he is ready for any situation.
    Last edited by bt12483; 02-19-2013 at 09:43 AM.

This ^^^.

There were a number of things that came together at the same time for the team to make it all the way and win a Lombardi.
    But I think Joe's outstanding play is a huge reflection of Caldwell knowing what to do, and magnifies what Cam REFUSED to see or do or listen to or to simply adapt. I don't think it will matter where Joe plays, home or away, since he will be able to perform due to the handcuffs coming off.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I'll put it this way: Cam's consistency was the reason for the offense's INconsistency. His refusal to adapt game plans, means every time we trotted out the same game plan against different opponents we got different results. It appeared inconsistent on tape, because the things that worked against Oakland didn't work against Houston. Obviously Cam's game plan works better against certain teams than others. His reluctance to adapt meant that the consistent game plan was known by opponents. Just like Boldin said in SD, the defense was just sitting waiting because they knew what routes would be called. So...Cam's consistency (aka stubbornness) was the reason for our inconsistency because he refused to adapt. That showed up week-to-week depending on our opponent.

Also, I am a strong believer that Flacco playing all those tough games on the road in Pitt hardened him and made him ready to face any challenge. Flacco is much more battle tested than someone like Matt Ryan, who has done nothing but face jello defenses in cozy confines.

IMO, part of the reason why Flacco is asking for #1 money (besides the obvious that of course you start off asking for #1 money from a negotiation standpoint) is that he has seen it all. He has seen 3 AFCCG's. He blew his first as a rookie with a horrible pick, in a very tough environment against a very tough defense. He has played in tough venues, in outdoor elements (NE, Denver, KC, Pitt, etc.). He has been through it all, and is now entering his prime, with so much knowledge and experience to fall back on. That is what you are paying him for in part. You are paying him because he knows what it feels like to lose, and also what it feels like to be on top. Meaning he is ready for any situation.
    This. And not just for Joe, but for the whole team. It feels weird saying this, but I love the rivalry we have with Pittsburgh. I hate their guts mind, you, lol. But we make them better just as they make us better. Without the two of us in the division to push each other, I think it's very debatable if the two teams would still own 3 of the last 8 Lombardi Trophy's.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    This ^^^.

There were a number of things that came together at the same time for the team to make it all the way and win a Lombardi.
    But I think Joe's outstanding play is a huge reflection of Caldwell knowing what to do, and magnifies what Cam REFUSED to see or do or listen to or to simply adapt. I don't think it will matter where Joe plays, home or away, since he will be able to perform due to the handcuffs coming off.
    I think Cam at the college level is OK for developing a young QB.

But not in the pro's. I think he has a very limited shelf life before he starts to wear out his welcome on an offense. Of course we were just one pass away from a SB with Cam. But we also had a 1st rd bye last year, and barely beat HOU because Cam was calling plays that resulted in Joe getting creamed. I do not think we win this year in the playoffs with Cam at the helm. Not at Denver. Not vs. SF.

At this point we have seen 3 separate QBs thrive after he left them. It is hard to imagine that being coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Surprised we won the Superbowl? Yes.

Surprised at how much better our offense was after firing Cam? No.
    I agree.

I thought we should have won it last year too. The Ravens were the only team to consistantly get to the playoffs and they won on the road before. Going into the year I was very confident. Then when Suggs got hurt, I started to worry. Then when Webb and Ray went down in the same game and Suggs was still a question mark, I thought maybe we were done. Then at 9-2 despite it all and not playing well, I thought we would find a way. Then the tough losses and then the Denver game happened and it looked like it was pretty much over as far as the SB goes again, missing out on the top seeds.
    The Giant game was the point when they showed that back against the wall, they could play thier best game. From There I knew we would get to the second round at least. It was not until after the Denver win that the confidence I started the year with returned.

So I was shocked and suprised at how it played out, but really felt like it was our time coming into the season, and pretty much knew for sure after the Denver game. That is why you just have to enjoy the ride. The SB win itself felt more like a relief and also came mixed with the emotions of the season and the Ray Lewis era being over.

:T2: