Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Anyone else still surprised?

When they went into Denver and won that game, which I was pretty confident they could do, I knew they had a good chance to win it all. But yes, I'm still mentally pinching myself that they actually did it.

Gonna be a different team next year and likely will only have Caldwell one year. Gotta enjoy this win a while
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I think I called the team getting players back and synching up for a SB run around the Pitt loss. I didnt see it happening the way it did with the losses in a row and shuffling everything around but with all our woes i never really thought we couldnt beat just about anybody in the AFC. After the Broncos loss i certainly questioned how likely that was but i still thought they could. Obviously I didnt think they were the favorites but i thought they were certainly capable of winning.

I think the playoffs have pretty much showed us its not about how you get there but what you do when you are.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    Caldwell + McKinnie. I'd say that 75% of it. The other 25% was the focus that was brought when Ray announced he was going to retire.
    McKinnie is so important because putting him in instantly upgraded 3 of the 5 line positions. And Flacco played the best five-game stretch of his career (NYG + playoffs) which you probably can't definitively say is Caldwell taking over, but man, what a correlation.

Blog Entries

I'll put it this way: Cam's consistency was the reason for the offense's INconsistency. His refusal to adapt game plans, means every time we trotted out the same game plan against different opponents we got different results. It appeared inconsistent on tape, because the things that worked against Oakland didn't work against Houston. Obviously Cam's game plan works better against certain teams than others. His reluctance to adapt meant that the consistent game plan was known by opponents. Just like Boldin said in SD, the defense was just sitting waiting because they knew what routes would be called. So...Cam's consistency (aka stubbornness) was the reason for our inconsistency because he refused to adapt. That showed up week-to-week depending on our opponent.

Also, I am a strong believer that Flacco playing all those tough games on the road in Pitt hardened him and made him ready to face any challenge. Flacco is much more battle tested than someone like Matt Ryan, who has done nothing but face jello defenses in cozy confines.

IMO, part of the reason why Flacco is asking for #1 money (besides the obvious that of course you start off asking for #1 money from a negotiation standpoint) is that he has seen it all. He has seen 3 AFCCG's. He blew his first as a rookie with a horrible pick, in a very tough environment against a very tough defense. He has played in tough venues, in outdoor elements (NE, Denver, KC, Pitt, etc.). He has been through it all, and is now entering his prime, with so much knowledge and experience to fall back on. That is what you are paying him for in part. You are paying him because he knows what it feels like to lose, and also what it feels like to be on top. Meaning he is ready for any situation.
    Last edited by bt12483; 02-19-2013 at 09:43 AM.

This ^^^.

There were a number of things that came together at the same time for the team to make it all the way and win a Lombardi.
    But I think Joe's outstanding play is a huge reflection of Caldwell knowing what to do, and magnifies what Cam REFUSED to see or do or listen to or to simply adapt. I don't think it will matter where Joe plays, home or away, since he will be able to perform due to the handcuffs coming off.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I'll put it this way: Cam's consistency was the reason for the offense's INconsistency. His refusal to adapt game plans, means every time we trotted out the same game plan against different opponents we got different results. It appeared inconsistent on tape, because the things that worked against Oakland didn't work against Houston. Obviously Cam's game plan works better against certain teams than others. His reluctance to adapt meant that the consistent game plan was known by opponents. Just like Boldin said in SD, the defense was just sitting waiting because they knew what routes would be called. So...Cam's consistency (aka stubbornness) was the reason for our inconsistency because he refused to adapt. That showed up week-to-week depending on our opponent.

Also, I am a strong believer that Flacco playing all those tough games on the road in Pitt hardened him and made him ready to face any challenge. Flacco is much more battle tested than someone like Matt Ryan, who has done nothing but face jello defenses in cozy confines.

IMO, part of the reason why Flacco is asking for #1 money (besides the obvious that of course you start off asking for #1 money from a negotiation standpoint) is that he has seen it all. He has seen 3 AFCCG's. He blew his first as a rookie with a horrible pick, in a very tough environment against a very tough defense. He has played in tough venues, in outdoor elements (NE, Denver, KC, Pitt, etc.). He has been through it all, and is now entering his prime, with so much knowledge and experience to fall back on. That is what you are paying him for in part. You are paying him because he knows what it feels like to lose, and also what it feels like to be on top. Meaning he is ready for any situation.
    This. And not just for Joe, but for the whole team. It feels weird saying this, but I love the rivalry we have with Pittsburgh. I hate their guts mind, you, lol. But we make them better just as they make us better. Without the two of us in the division to push each other, I think it's very debatable if the two teams would still own 3 of the last 8 Lombardi Trophy's.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    This ^^^.

There were a number of things that came together at the same time for the team to make it all the way and win a Lombardi.
    But I think Joe's outstanding play is a huge reflection of Caldwell knowing what to do, and magnifies what Cam REFUSED to see or do or listen to or to simply adapt. I don't think it will matter where Joe plays, home or away, since he will be able to perform due to the handcuffs coming off.
    I think Cam at the college level is OK for developing a young QB.

But not in the pro's. I think he has a very limited shelf life before he starts to wear out his welcome on an offense. Of course we were just one pass away from a SB with Cam. But we also had a 1st rd bye last year, and barely beat HOU because Cam was calling plays that resulted in Joe getting creamed. I do not think we win this year in the playoffs with Cam at the helm. Not at Denver. Not vs. SF.

At this point we have seen 3 separate QBs thrive after he left them. It is hard to imagine that being coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Surprised we won the Superbowl? Yes.

Surprised at how much better our offense was after firing Cam? No.
    I agree.

I thought we should have won it last year too. The Ravens were the only team to consistantly get to the playoffs and they won on the road before. Going into the year I was very confident. Then when Suggs got hurt, I started to worry. Then when Webb and Ray went down in the same game and Suggs was still a question mark, I thought maybe we were done. Then at 9-2 despite it all and not playing well, I thought we would find a way. Then the tough losses and then the Denver game happened and it looked like it was pretty much over as far as the SB goes again, missing out on the top seeds.
    The Giant game was the point when they showed that back against the wall, they could play thier best game. From There I knew we would get to the second round at least. It was not until after the Denver win that the confidence I started the year with returned.

So I was shocked and suprised at how it played out, but really felt like it was our time coming into the season, and pretty much knew for sure after the Denver game. That is why you just have to enjoy the ride. The SB win itself felt more like a relief and also came mixed with the emotions of the season and the Ray Lewis era being over.

Surprised?
    If you are an NFL fan you have to be surprised if your team wins the Super Bowl.
    But I will not be surprised if Joe Flacco wins a few more.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I thought we should have won it last year too. The Ravens were the only team to consistantly get to the playoffs and they won on the road before. Going into the year I was very confident. Then when Suggs got hurt, I started to worry. Then when Webb and Ray went down in the same game and Suggs was still a question mark, I thought maybe we were done. Then at 9-2 despite it all and not playing well, I thought we would find a way. Then the tough losses and then the Denver game happened and it looked like it was pretty much over as far as the SB goes again, missing out on the top seeds.
    The Giant game was the point when they showed that back against the wall, they could play thier best game. From There I knew we would get to the second round at least. It was not until after the Denver win that the confidence I started the year with returned.

So I was shocked and suprised at how it played out, but really felt like it was our time coming into the season, and pretty much knew for sure after the Denver game. That is why you just have to enjoy the ride. The SB win itself felt more like a relief and also came mixed with the emotions of the season and the Ray Lewis era being over.
    If we had Jacoby Jones and not Smith, I think you could make a case for that, although the add of Osemele and Pierce can't be underestimated too.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    If we had Jacoby Jones and not Smith, I think you could make a case for that, although the add of Osemele and Pierce can't be underestimated too.
    you mean Evans not Smith right? lol

There is a lot of good stuff in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Gonna be a different team next year and likely will only have Caldwell one year. Gotta enjoy this win a while
    I dunno, Caldwell looked pretty bad as a head coach. Some people are meant to be coordinators. Dick Lebeau is a top-shelf DC but didn't work out as the head man. Caldwell could be along those lines... just a matter of whether other teams realize it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I'll put it this way: Cam's consistency was the reason for the offense's INconsistency. His refusal to adapt game plans, means every time we trotted out the same game plan against different opponents we got different results.
    Not only this, but Caldwell's lack of time as a playcaller may have been to our benefit. Teams didn't have much game tape to study. Not a large enough sample size to establish tendencies. Lopsided games against Denver and the Giants, nothing of value from the Cincy game, then it's on to the playoffs. What are you going to study from his history... Manning's Colts? Only if you believe Flacco can play the part of Manning. And I'm guessing opposing defenses didn't think that... but he sure looked like Manning in the second half of the New England game, walking out in the shotgun spread and just shredding the Patriot defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    A million times this.

I was shouting and screaming in celebration after the Denver and New England games.

After the Super Bowl... I was just drained. Part of that was the nerve-wracking nature of the power outage and the 49er comeback, but a greater part of it was the cumulative emotional rollercoaster of the playoffs and the season in general.

I don't think it's really going to hit until our starters are announced before our first game next season, when we don't see Ray Lewis walking out of that tunnel, when the transition to being Joe Flacco's squad is total and undeniable.

Until then, I'm just enjoying the aftermath.