Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Both the LA Express and the Niners had design run plays for him.

Hard to call him a scrambling QB when two teams manufactured plays specifically designed for him to run the ball.

Re: Cosell on running qb's: Running qb's are great but throwing from the pocket is still the best option

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Both the LA Express and the Niners had design run plays for him.

Hard to call him a scrambling QB when two teams manufactured plays specifically designed for him to run the ball.
    Point taken. But I still couldn't put him on the same list as Vick or RG3.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Running QBs rarely win the SB. Not Cunningham, not McNabb, not Vick, not Kaepernick this year.

The closest is maybe Rodgers? Big Ben? No one would label them running QBs, they just happen to at times make some good plays with their feet.

Until running QBs start winning the SB I will stick with pocket passers, who have proven success in winning SBs.
    So did John Elway.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Point taken. But I still couldn't put him on the same list as Vick or RG3.
    Agreed there.

While he never had the single season success of an RG3, Vick or even Rodgers, you don't get to be second in career QB rushing yards or tops in QB rushing TD's by simply being a scrambler.

That was my overall point.

Re: Cosell on running qb's: Running qb's are great but throwing from the pocket is still the best option

I think that NFL QB's are a lot faster than people give them credit for. If you look at Madden speeds, you would think that they were grannies or something. You just don't see QB's run that often for a few reasons:

A: Picking up yards on the ground is more about agility and acceleration. I guess this might just be semantics I'm arguing about, but a lot more goes into being a great runner than just top speed. This is why RGIII's marginally impressive 40 time allows him to be such a great rusher.
    B:QB's tend to be very tall. 6'0" at minimum, and most are in the 6'3"-6'6" range. Tall guys can be fast after they've had time to speed, but the height usually hurts their acceleration and agility. That's why RB's like Ray Rice and MJD are so dangerous.
    C: Just being a fast runner doesn't mean you can throw well on the run. Many countless man hours are put into working on the drop back, staying in the pocket, and throwing. Going outside of the pocket and throwing on the run without planting properly takes an entire different skill set.
    D: QB's have longer careers, and speed is the first thing to go for players. Believe it or not, Peyton Manning used to be pretty quick when he was in college and first his first few years in the pros. Any NFL player loses a step in their 30's, but luckily for QB's, you don't need speed to be great.
    E: Smart QB's who are forward thinking try to make plays with their arms and not put their bodies and careers at risk, and smart coaches and owners don't want to see their $10 million or more man at risk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    You think Young belongs in the same discussion with Vick, Cunningham, etc. as a "running"QB? He was mobile. I don't know that he rises to the level of these other guys though. Some of them almost double Young's career high rush yards in comparable seasons.
    Young was more than just a scrambler. He was one of the best QB's once he tucked the ball down and headed down the field. Just looking at the stats doesn't tell the whole story. He was like a fullback in the open field. He's the reason I hate the slide rule. Young would watch the defender, and if he held up waiting for Young to slide, he'd lower his shoulder and truck the guy. If he came in hard, Young would try to slide late and draw a penalty.

He picked up a concussion or two with that tactic, too. Smart in the short term, maybe not so much over the course of a career.

Young wasn't a "running QB" in the same vein as Cunningham or Vick, but he had a much better arm than Cunningham or Vick. When he did run, however, it was extremely effective.

However, he's a bad argument for "running QB wins SB." He didn't run much that year (didn't need to), and was far, far more a pocket passer at that point in his career.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    E: Smart QB's who are forward thinking try to make plays with their arms and not put their bodies and careers at risk, and smart coaches and owners don't want to see their $10 million or more man at risk.
    Yep, and I've yet to see anyone who is faster than the ball.