Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: Do you forgive the Colts?

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    BTW There happens to be a 9-page debate on the Colts board about how many trophies they have

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/t...es-do-we-have/
    I think Old Man P on the Indy board (only poster with a Johnny U avatar) is Old19Fan. He takes alot of abuse and never confronts his assailants.

Which one of you guys is Old Crow over there lol? He's fighting the good fight saying the history of the Baltimore Colts belongs in Baltimore.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

Trends or not there was and still is no way an Irsay will return the name.

Bullet Bob took so much shit from the business world for trading the 2d largest market for the 25th, that he became
    obsessed with the name. He even claimed he could have kept LA but he wanted the Colts and that name. Some called
    it the worse business trade ever while others called it the worse deal since the Babe was sold to the Yankees.

Irsay even changed the name of his company to Colt Construction and he instilled all that into Jimmy so there
    was no way Jimmy would return the name when the Browns came here.

Art tried to buy it but JImmy made the price so steep no one could afford it and he was bluffing anyway. No way
    he returns or sells the name.

It was too personal for the Irsays.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    I think Old Man P on the Indy board (only poster with a Johnny U avatar) is Old19Fan. He takes alot of abuse and never confronts his assailants.

Which one of you guys is Old Crow over there lol? He's fighting the good fight saying the history of the Baltimore Colts belongs in Baltimore.

It's not me but if you give me a link I'll go over and help him out. It will just be another board for me to get banned from.

Blog Entries

Growing up in the house lived in by Johnny Unitas and watching the Colts practices at Goucher college makes it hard for me to forgive the Colts. The Colts were crucial in the development of the NFL as we know it, biggest games that changed the leagues and players that redefined their position. A tradition of excellence until the late 70's til Jim Irsay went crazy. We went without football for 13 years when I was 14 years old and got the Redskins shoved down our throats. The thing that bothers me most is they took the records, uniforms and colors and name to Indianapolis. If they moved and changed the name like Baltimore did with the Browns (both Browns-Orioles also) I would be OK with it, but still upset for the years we had no football. Just leave the tradition and name behind and rename your team Irsay and create your own history in Indianapolis would have been fine for me. I guess, I am jaded cause of my connection to the Colts. Still think they have the best uniforms in football, the classic simple helmet with the "goodluck horseshoe that looks like a "U" for Johnny U and the classic blue and white color and rolling off the tongue name Baltimore Colts. I love the Ravens, but the uniforms aren't as good as the Colts or the logo and the we had to start a new tradition. I have never been mad at the fans at Indy or the players the went to Indy, but just the Irsay's ( Bob most, then Jim-Jim could of returned the name when the Browns came to Baltimore and made a healthy profit as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scbgirlxo View Post
    What does that team sneaking out of Indy in the middle of the night accomplish? The people of Indy didn't have control over what happened. If you root for the Ravens and only will feel satisfied if that happens to Indy fans then that is just extremely hypocritical. And you wish injury on players who clearly had nothing to do with the move? I'm sorry but this type of talk is ridiculous even if in jest. People with this type of mindset is what is wrong with the 'passionate fan.'
    It's not in jest, and it's not hypocritical. The fans in Indy accepted that team despite the underhanded way it came there. I don't cut them any slack for doing so.

As for injury: those players choose to play for that team. That's the reason I hate Manning like I do. He had the clout to pull an Elway on the Irsays to make a point. True, he didn't have to do that. I don't have to like him, either.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    those players choose to play for that team. That's the reason I hate Manning like I do. He had the clout to pull an Elway on the Irsays to make a point. True, he didn't have to do that. I don't have to like him, either.

I was offended when that jerk got national attention for wearing high tops in honor of Johnny U. Unfortunately, he didn't trip over his feet. Also, in all my years watching football, he is the only injured player I didn't sympathize with. I loved seeing his noodle arm not holding up in our playoff game - third best thing about that game behind winning in OT, and Flacco to Jacoby.

:T2:
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

The indisputable fact is Baltimore is where all the history happened with the older Colts team, I remember most of it. You can buy the team and the trophies, but you can't change that. Those are Baltimore championships.

Being without a team all of those years while Indianapolis was playing games wearing out uniforms built a strong dislike for them. I don't think about it so much now but will consistently root against them as a rule.

Blog Entries

When Manning came out he wasn't going to pull an Elway. He couldn't play baseball like Elway and didn't have the
    Yankees offering him a contract but he didn't believe all those stories about Irsay and said he was gonna take the
    high road and sign with the Dolts.

But what happened when little brother Eli came out. SD had the rights to him as the worse team and Eli said no way
    in hell was he gonna play for him. His dad, Archie Manning who played for the Saints years before didn't want him
    playing for a lousy team his entire career like he did in NO. Payton didn't want him to either and encouraged him to
    force a trade.

SD went ahead and drafted Eli anyway and the entire family stood on the stage in NY and was soundly booed for
    about 10 mins. Man, it was brutal and humiliating for them. ARchie was a good QB on a lousy team and Payton was
    the best at the time and they were booed.

SD did that just to make a point and when the booing stopped they traded Eli to New York for Rivers. They could
    have just drafted Rivers if that was the guy they wanted but wanted to humiliate the family on national TV and
    the Mannings deserved it.

I was so happy when the Ravens spanked Eli good this year.

Blog Entries

For a little while, SD looked like the made out like bandits. When they did get the trade with the Giants done, they got Rivers, plus:

Giants 2004 3rd round pick, used to select Nate Kaeding
    Giants 2005 1st round pick, used to select Shawne Merriman
    Giants 2005 5th round pick, traded to TB later on

Nine years later, Kaeding and Merriman are both gone, and Rivers is clearly the subpar QB to Eli.

I can't remember why this came up, but I wondered a year or two ago...what would the NFL do if a 1st round draft pick decided to sit out their full rookie year without signing a rookie contract and decided to re-enter the draft? If it happens in baseball, you get an "extra" pick at the end of the 1st round. I have to imagine the NFL would have thought of this in some way?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

10. Re: Do you forgive the Colts?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Giants 2004 3rd round pick, used to select Nate Kaeding
    Man, no matter how good a guy is, I don't want to see a team taking a kicker in the 3rd round. Then of course Kaeding goes on to be a Pro Bowler who misses important kicks in the playoffs, like some other guy we know. :grbac:

as far as the rams for colts trade, i heard a long conspiracy theory that Rosenblum loaned Irsay the money to buy the Rams, and they traded franchises afterward as part of the loan agreement, because Rosenblum wanted to be in LA, but obviously couldnt move the franchise because of the rams and the colts were doing so well here at the time...anyone else heard this? could you add/expand if so?thanx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scottie b View Post
    as far as the rams for colts trade, i heard a long conspiracy theory that Rosenblum loaned Irsay the money to buy the Rams, and they traded franchises afterward as part of the loan agreement, because Rosenblum wanted to be in LA, but obviously couldnt move the franchise because of the rams and the colts were doing so well here at the time...anyone else heard this? could you add/expand if so?thanx
    I never heard that one before but wouldn't be surprised at anything I heard.
    Irsay had the money which was about $20M at the time and Rosey did say
    it would be worth $100M in 10 years. Today it is worth around $1B.

Rosey put up peanuts for the team after Baltimoreans bought thousands
    of season tickets to prove they could support the Colts. Just about every old
    Colts fan claims to be an original season ticket holder-lol. Rosey set aside
    $1M to run the team and said he would get out when he ran out of that. I
    think he really expected to run out but made a fortune. He always said the he made more money in football than anywhere else.

He also made a cool million when the Colts moved over to the AFC once the merger was complete. So di Art and Rooney moving their teams over to complete the alignment for the AFC/NFC Conferences of the NFL.

A lot of old Colts fans stopped going to games then because the rivalries like
    the Bears and Packers and Rams stopped coming into town and we got
    stuck with the Buff Bills and Miami Dolphins which were terrible.

Back to trading the Rams for the Colts, that was Culverhouse's idea who was
    Rosey's tax atty. Rosey saved millions of dollars in capital gains taxes by
    trading the team instead of selling it. Culverhouse later got the Tampa
    franchise but like Rosey said, he made more money in football than anywhere else.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-19-2013 at 05:47 PM.