Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Do you forgive the Colts?

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I don't hate the Colts - those players had nothing to do with the move, and neither did their fans. It's been nearly 30 years and two Ravens' Super Bowls ago. That doesn't make Bob Irsay any less of a drunken asshole, but Baltimore is a Ravens' town now.

What I really hate is the angle the pundits seem to always have about Art Modell's move of his franchise to Baltimore. There seems to be a lot of vitriol towards his moving the Browns that doesn't seem to carry over to similar moves: the Rams from LA to St. Louis, the Oilers from Houston to Tennessee, the Colts from Baltimore to Indianapolis, the Cardinals from St. Louis to Arizona. That's just hypocritical.
    I will always hate the Colts, not the players the franchise, be ause they left when I was a junior in high school. I really had just started really getting into watching football a few years earlier, and was a little devistated with the move. The Browns fans should habe a healthy dislike of the Ravens because of the move. Let's not forget why the people of Chicago aren't more upset about the Cardinals move from Chicago to St. Louis.

I moved here Memorial Day weekend in 2000 so I had no emotional investment in the Colts. I was a Bills fan growing up in buffalo and still root for them when they don't play the Ravens. I think the difference between the Colts and Browns moves, at least now, is that while Indy took Baltimore's past and and identity, Baltimore took Cleveland's future. I still think the funniest part of QB smacktalk on FB is the plethora of ways they come up with for City of Cleveland to commit suicide.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    One argument I was pondering was this: Now that the Ravens have won two Super Bowls, we technically have the same amount that the Colts franchise has total (SB 5 and SB 41). So in a way, we're back to even with them.
    Huh? That first Colts Super Bowl belongs to Baltimore, not to that Indianapolis Colts team that I have no animus for (outside the fact that they owned us during the Peyton Manning era). I think the Baltimore reaction to facing the Colts in the playoffs this season said it all - only a small minority of fans even cared that we were facing the Colts. I'm totally cool with the Indianapolis Colts franchise, but I disregard any Indianapolis claim to Colts history pre-Mayflower trucks. Baltimore has 5 NFL championship titles.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

I usually hate when politicians get involved in anything sports-related. (BCS playoffs, for example.) But I would love to see a law that each teams identity belongs jointly to the owner of that team and the community for which it is named. Baltimoreans own the name 'Baltimore', so when you call your team the Baltimore Colts, I am allowing you to use Baltimore in the title. It is as much 'Baltimore' as it is 'Colts.' And when any team moves to a different community, that name and logo and records should just die. No Jazz in Utah, no (Trolley) Dodgers in L.A., and no Colts in Indy.

But because that law doesn't exist, history is not accurately represented. The difference between Johnny U's records belonging to Indy and Jim Brown's records NOT belonging to Baltimore is one of semantics. Somehow the entire city of Baltimore, for NFL purposes, only came into existence in 1996, and that's just wrong. (I do not want Jim Brown's records, btw, nor do I want those ugly-ass uniforms and a closet full of crap-colored jerseys. All other things being equal, I am happy we got a new name/identity rather than being saddled with Cleveland's old one.)

Over time (and I am 45,) my hatred for Indianapolis has burned less hotly. If they separated out the Baltimore Colts from the Indianapolis Colts in the HoF, I would hate them even less. If they no longer referred to Peyton Manning breaking John Unitas's club records I would hate them less. If they changed their uniforms and developed their own identity -- as the Ravens have done -- I would hate them less. But I will never get to the point where I want them to win, unless they are playing the Steelers, or unless their winning directly benefits the Ravens. And even then, I will just not watch the game, or hold my nose while I do it.

Blog Entries

the league and their team should recognize the players and accomplishments of the Baltimore Colts do not belong to them.

Love my Ravens but I treat Indy like Pitt and the Pats; I always hope they lose.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Nothing to forgive amongst the current organization. Our beef is with a dead drunkard, and he will never be forgiven. FWIW, I was only 8 when the Colts left and wasn't really aware of them being here and didn't bear the brunt of the pain of their move. I was certainly aware of growing up in a football vacuum though.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    (...nor do I want those ugly-ass uniforms and a closet full of crap-colored jerseys.)
    I semi seriously PROTEST! The Browns have the best uniforms in the NFL. I disregard any debate on that subject. The Browns uniforms are as classically perfect as the Cincinnati Bengals uniforms are an abomination to all living things with eyes. I thinks it's a shame the Browns are apparently redesigning the uniforms. I hope they don't do anything drastic.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    One argument I was pondering was this: Now that the Ravens have won two Super Bowls, we technically have the same amount that the Colts franchise has total (SB 5 and SB 41). So in a way, we're back to even with them.

If you use that logic though...Cleveland will at least have to win two SBs before they would be "okay" with our team. Plus, we would've been even with the Colts after SB 35.
    SB 5 is ours, not Indy's. That'd be like us trying to claim the Cleveland Browns' NFL championships of the 1960's.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

I have a good friend that still pulls for the Colts. They recognize it wasn't the teams fault it was a management issue with the owner having the final say. Additionally their father continued to support the colts. The father use to have season tickets. He treated me one time to see Unitas play Butkus and the Bears. First two passes Unitas threw were Interceptions! The Colts went on to win. Anyway, I don't dislike the Colts as much as I do the Irseys. Of course trying to bring the history of Baltimore to Indy is asinine, ten, eleven and twelve. Baltimore didn't celebrate Jim Brown as their own and Indy can't lay claims to Unitas. Johnny didn't put up with all the hype that cause some Baltimore Colts to acquiesce their loyalties. I AM glad we finally beat them. I'm glad when we beat any team. I guess when we beat them we cause discomfort to the Irseys. That being the case I want the Ravens to beat them more than other teams, even Pittsburgh.

I loved the Baltimore Colts. If you lived in Baltimore in the 50's, 60's, 70's you know how deep that love ran. The players lived and worked among us. They were part of the community. They were our neighbors.

Bob Irsay is dead. Next year the Indy's will have been in Indianapolis just as long (30 years) as the Baltimore Colts were loved like no other team has ever been loved by the citizens of the City it played for.

The Indy franchise and the people of Indianapolis will never experience anything quite like that and Jimmy Irsay knows it becuase he was here when it was still happening.

I've gotten rid of most of my hate for them. Ain't healthy. It probably screwed up our karma pretty good in '06. Manning and the rest of those guys didn't deserve the hatred we dumped on them. They weren't even around in '84.

The Baltimore Ravens are our team now and they are the Best in the World!!!

Retire the name and return the records and all is forgiven.
    Last edited by Real Fan Dan; 02-18-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Have nothing to forgive them for. They were already unpacked in Indy before I was born. I've never been anything other than a Raven. Indy can have the Colts and screwball Irsay.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Next year the Indy's will have been in Indianapolis just as long (30 years) as the Baltimore Colts
    This is very bizarre. Where the hell have the years went?

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012