Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Do you forgive the Colts?

Before you go nuts and flame, hear me out, I'm interested to hear the responses, especially of older fans (since I was but 6 months old when the Colts left town)...

After the Super Bowl, a friend on twitter who lives in Indiana congratulated Ravens fans and said "Everyone in Indianapolis was cheering for you, so maybe now you can all forgive the Colts???"

Now, I was feeling giddy and pumped up of course, and I liked that they came out in a very positive tone, so I replied that honestly, I had let go of my grudge with Indy long ago, since Bob Irsay was dead and gone, Jim Irsay, while a bit nutty, is nothing like his father, and the Ravens culture has taken hold here anyway.

But, the more and more I thought about it, I was curious...what needed/needs to happen before people can truly "let go" of their hate for the Colts move? Now, granted, you can hate the move itself. Honestly, I hate that Cleveland had to lose their team for us to get one. Now, I am glad that we had Art as an owner over Glazer or Lerner, which is likely who it would've been from the expansion draft...but it does disappoint me that we had to go that avenue to get our team.

But, what would it take for you to let go of your grudge against the Indianapolis Colts and have them be no different to you than the Titans or Texans? Keep in mind, another way to look at it is, when do you think it's fair for Cleveland to let go of their hate for us (I'll leave separate their grudge against Art).
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Do you forgive the Colts?

I was 14 when the colts left but never felt attached to them like some of our long time posters did. I ended up being a fan of the cowboys from the early 80s until the day the ravens arrive. It certainly didn't help that the Colts games were hardly televised. During my cowboy fandom days I would often wish I had a local team to cheer for. I came away very disappointed when we were dissed during the expansion days. So to conclude I don't like the Colts but my dislike for the colts is far more tame than some of the others who lived and old with the old colts.

I don't hate the Colts - those players had nothing to do with the move, and neither did their fans. It's been nearly 30 years and two Ravens' Super Bowls ago. That doesn't make Bob Irsay any less of a drunken asshole, but Baltimore is a Ravens' town now.

What I really hate is the angle the pundits seem to always have about Art Modell's move of his franchise to Baltimore. There seems to be a lot of vitriol towards his moving the Browns that doesn't seem to carry over to similar moves: the Rams from LA to St. Louis, the Oilers from Houston to Tennessee, the Colts from Baltimore to Indianapolis, the Cardinals from St. Louis to Arizona. That's just hypocritical.

I was away at college when the Colts moved. It was Bob Irsay, not the Colts, who drew my ire. I got over the move pretty quickly, several years afterwards, but I don't think I've ever forgiven Irsay for moving the team. I never hated Irsay personally, but I did hate that he moved the team. He was a big drunk jerk, but I never hated the person.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want the horseshoe, name and records back. I am a die hard Ravens fan, but unlike most Ravens fans, I'd jump at the chance to reclaim the Colts name. It will never happen, but if it were my choice, Indy would be named the Hoosiers (an insult here in Missouri, by the way) and the Baltimore Colts would take the field once again.

Blog Entries

One argument I was pondering was this: Now that the Ravens have won two Super Bowls, we technically have the same amount that the Colts franchise has total (SB 5 and SB 41). So in a way, we're back to even with them.

If you use that logic though...Cleveland will at least have to win two SBs before they would be "okay" with our team. Plus, we would've been even with the Colts after SB 35.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

No.

And I'm going to forgive them even less if a handful of the Ravens FAs end up in HoosierDaddyville to follow the coach they poached from here & lead them back into the playoffs.

But mostly what I care about is for the part of the Colts history & traditions that originated when they were in Baltimore to be recognized as such in the record books & the print & video narratives. So much of what jumpstarted the NFL toward its current prominence not only happened because of the Colts, it happened because of how the city of Baltimore took to the Colts & made them their own. Indiafuckingnapolis has no more claim to that than would (say) a multibillionaire who bought a fleet of puddlejumpers plus the rights to the name & logos of Pan American Airways could claim the history & traditions of that "pioneer of civil aviation."

A subdivision in the Colts area in Canton that acknowledges & chronicles their achievements as the Baltimore Colts would probably satisfy me. Not holding my breath though...

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    One argument I was pondering was this: Now that the Ravens have won two Super Bowls, we technically have the same amount that the Colts franchise has total (SB 5 and SB 41). So in a way, we're back to even with them.
    Fuck them. And the quote above...see, this is the problem with the way some people think. SB V does not belong to the "Colts franchise". It belongs to Baltimore.

The records belong in Baltimore. Not in some freaking cornfield.

And the younger nutty Satan had the power to do the right thing. He didn't. So again, screw them.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

I'll never get over those scars, but the Ravens are making it easier. If we got our records back, I'd probably be ok.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    What I really hate is the angle the pundits seem to always have about Art Modell's move of his franchise to Baltimore. There seems to be a lot of vitriol towards his moving the Browns that doesn't seem to carry over to similar moves: the Rams from LA to St. Louis, the Oilers from Houston to Tennessee, the Colts from Baltimore to Indianapolis, the Cardinals from St. Louis to Arizona. That's just hypocritical.
    Co-sign 100%. I still remember Dan Marino on Inside the NFL the week before our playoff game v. Indy in '06. The host was talking about how we (Baltimore fans) would be fired up and out for revenge, unleashing 20+ yrs of frustration etc. And Marino scoffs and tells us to "get over it!" And then jerks like Collingsworth et al piggyback on that. I seriously wonder if he'd have told Browns fans to "get over it" if they were playing us in a playoff game.

And all those mediots who slammed us when the move first happened --Ditka, Costas, pick any ESPN talking head-- and still like to take little pot shots every now and then (looking at you Stu Scott).... well they can all jump in the lake. I swear we're the only team that's still every so often referred to as "the old ______." Never hear of the "old Oilers" or the "old LA Rams", etc. But we're still the "old Browns." Whatever.

As far as the Colts I wasn't around when the move happened, but spending a few years near Indy I developed a pretty healthy disdain for that team and especially their fans. When folks found out I was from here they seemed all to eager to throw the move in my face especially after they won their (only) SB. I have a ton of respect and admiration for Tony Dungy but even he couldn't sway my feelings toward that team. NTM I just didn't like that they always seemed to have the Ravens' number.

I guess I don't dislike them as much now, now that it's pretty much a new cast of characters from when I was there. But I don't know if I'm in a position to "forgive" them though as I wasn't around to experience the emotions from the move and exactly how big of an impact it made.

Blog Entries
    No ill never like the colts. I wasn't even alive when they skipped town and it pisses me off that they have all of Baltimores records listed as Indy in the hof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Re: Do you forgive the Colts?

Now that Irsay is dead, they just need to return the Baltimore Colts' records and history back to Baltimore.

Blog Entries

I don't want to be accused of sour grapes or having a shit, I mean chip on my shoulder so I say that losing the Colts was the best thing that happened to Baltimore and me.

I've been saying fuck those stupid ass holes not Irsay since losing SB 3 anyway.

No one is gonna accuse me of hate and sour grapes and having a shit, I mean chip on my shoulder.

I love Jimmy.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-17-2013 at 10:22 PM.