Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

That SuperBowl Tussle...?

Has anyone succeeded in decoding the "what" and "why" of the fight that broke out in the 2nd Quarter of the SB, immediately after Ed Reed's interception?

I'm re-watching the game right now on YouTube.

Offsetting penalties were called on Corey Graham (24) and the 49ers' OT (74) Joe Staley. But all I could see was Carey Williams trying to beat the crap out of somebody on the ground. (Before he got up and shoved the ref.) Williams was the one who seemed most upset. Any ideas why?

Blog Entries

Re: That SuperBowl Tussle...?

Quote Originally Posted by Whibbley-O! View Post
    Has anyone succeeded in decoding the "what" and "why" of the fight that broke out in the 2nd Quarter of the SB, immediately after Ed Reed's interception?

I'm re-watching the game right now on YouTube.

Offsetting penalties were called on Corey Graham (24) and the 49ers' OT (74) Joe Staley. But all I could see was Carey Williams trying to beat the crap out of somebody on the ground. (Before he got up and shoved the ref.) Williams was the one who seemed most upset. Any ideas why?
    Because he's too busy not being "anybody's punk".
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

May have to do with how his helmet left his head. Check it out. Probably piss a lot of players off having their head gear yanked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Whibbley-O! View Post
    Offsetting penalties were called on Corey Graham (24) and the 49ers' OT (74) Joe Staley.
    Does anyone else think the referee (Bogar) just got the number wrong and it wasn't Corey Graham at all, but rather Carey Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Does anyone else think the referee (Bogar) just got the number wrong and it wasn't Corey Graham at all, but rather Carey Williams?
    Yes, as soon as he announced it, I thought it was just a wrong #.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Yes, as soon as he announced it, I thought it was just a wrong #.
    Yeah, I just rewatched it to try to figure it out. After Reed's interception, Arthur Jones comes in low on Joe Staley to block him. Legal, but Staley gets ticked and goes after Jones (hence the SF penalty on #74). At this time, Corey Graham is standing next to Ed Reed, well away from the crowd. He eventually runs over but is hardly involved at all. Carey Williams gets knocked over in the pile up of players, and #49 for the 49ers gets pushed over and he puts his hand on the ground, but it ends up on Williams' helmet instead, knocking it off. At this point, Carey Williams goes ballistic. So it has to be #29 Ravens for the penalty, not #24.

On another note, at the end of the game (not that it mattered in the big picture), the Ravens made a tactical error. The difference between the game clock and the play clock was between 9 and 10 seconds. They let the play clock run down on 4th down, but called timeout before a delay of game penalty would have been called, leaving 12 seconds on the clock. If they were going to take the safety anyway, why not just let the clock run down to 0:09, take the penalty, then call timeout to set up the last play. Conceivably, Koch could have run out the entire 0:09 running around in the end zone and ended the game right there without having to kick at all. He took off 0:08 as it was.

If BAL had taken the delay of game penalty then SF would have known BAL was going to take the safety and all the holding running out of time might not have been a surprise.

You're right, the helmet flying off is probably what really PO'd Williams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    ...[A]t the end of the game (not that it mattered in the big picture), the Ravens made a tactical error. The difference between the game clock and the play clock was between 9 and 10 seconds. They let the play clock run down on 4th down, but called timeout before a delay of game penalty would have been called, leaving 12 seconds on the clock. If they were going to take the safety anyway, why not just let the clock run down to 0:09, take the penalty, then call timeout to set up the last play. Conceivably, Koch could have run out the entire 0:09 running around in the end zone and ended the game right there without having to kick at all. He took off 0:08 as it was.
    I disagree, because that would have given the plan away.

As you know, punters generally need to be 15 yards back from the LoS in order to maximize the chances of getting off a good unblocked punt. The ball was spotted on the Ravens 8. A delay penalty at that point backs them up to the 4, which leaves Koch a yard short on his drop; if he punts it from there he's risking a block or a bad (rushed) kick...& let's face it, Sam was having a bad day to begin with. The Ravens would have to be nuts to put him in that sort of hole...if they were actually going to punt.

So if the Ravens had allowed the clock to run out, it would be obvious they were going to take the safety. At which point, instead of setting up a return, the 49ers would call an all-out rush--not to block the kick, but to down the punter as quickly as possible to save time for running back the free kick. Even general holding might not have apprecialby slowed a determined rush. Say the game clock is stopped at 10 seconds after the delay, they overload one side of the line & break through, Sam gets tackled with 7 seconds left instead of 4, on the ensuing free kick Ginn goes out of bounds near the 50 with 1 second left, & SanFran gets one last shot at the end zone.

(Note that I haven't been able to track down a video of the last few plays with a clock on the screen, so I don't know if my timing is accurate, but IIRC the clock hit zero with Ginn not far from the 50, so an extra couple of seconds could have enabled him to get out of bounds within Hail Mary range. Another thing I don't recall is if the Ravens line up in punt formation before calling that timeout--it would have made sense to get a bead on what the 49ers' return team was lining up, but probably wasn't necessary.)

10. Re: That SuperBowl Tussle...?

I find it odd that people keep bringing up that Cary shoved an official, but hardly anyone--including Ravens fans--has mentioned that a 49er player (Bruce Miller #49) also shoved an official to the ground and wasn't penalized for it:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/ktlincoln/a-...f-during-the-s

Check the video, you'll see about 2 seconds into it, a 49er shove the black ref (Boger) to the ground in front of Ngata who then picks Boger up and helps him back to his feet.

Virtually no one is talking about this; all you can find are articles, reports and blog posts about what Cary did.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    So if the Ravens had allowed the clock to run out, it would be obvious they were going to take the safety. At which point, instead of setting up a return, the 49ers would call an all-out rush--not to block the kick, but to down the punter as quickly as possible to save time for running back the free kick.

I was more concerned about the timing. The short hike would have been contrary to the long punt performed many times each game, and assumedly similarly practiced. Had Koch fumbled and 49ers recovered for a TD, that would have been two consecutive years that Harbaugh (ex-special teams coach) would have had season-ending losses to to special teams' fuck-ups.

And, speaking of timing, I thought our guys had poor clock management. At least one of the running plays should have been a sweep to the longer side of the hashmarks. The extra time plus just getting the ball spotted after the play may have enabled us to run the clock all the way down to 0:00.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    John simply out-coached his brother on that one. :)
    John Harbaaugh pretty well outcoached his brother the entire game. His coaching, esp near the end of the game, was atrocious.

I am getting a bit tired of all the media fawning over Jim Harbaugh. Moreover, I get tired of his whining, bitching, and complaining. As bad as Brady.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).