Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2013 is..

Blog Entries

Re: 2013 is..

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    This. I can never understand why somebody would root for a school that they didn't go to. It might be one thing if you live in a state with no pro teams and/or you didn't go to a school with competitive teams. But either way, I see College Park as more of a DC area school. Most people who live in the area are pretty big Redskins fans.

If anything, I think that Towson should be the official college team of Baltimore.
    Towson? Really?
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section 502 Raven View Post
    1970 anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    and the human vacuum cleaner!
    Oh, how I remember the "Human Vacuum Cleaner". Brooks owned that series. He took away a bunch of extra base hits that would have changed the score drastically. The greatest one man show I've ever seen in a World Series.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

John Harbaugh, Cal Ripken, Steve Biciotti, Ed Reed and Torrey Smith have all attended MD basketball games the last year or two...they had to make the enormous 30 mile trek down to College Park.

And there's this pro-Redskin propaganda from UMD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaMg6kzR140

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    Oh, how I remember the "Human Vacuum Cleaner". Brooks owned that series. He took away a bunch of extra base hits that would have changed the score drastically. The greatest one man show I've ever seen in a World Series.
    i have to tell you a story about brooks. i went to the national geograhic building to meet brooks and get him to sign the book about baseball that was just published by NG. this was probably 2004 or 2005. i had 2 questions for brooks of which one was, what did lee may say to you when he came to play for the orioles? brooks leaned back and laughed and said "lee may told me if it wasn't for lee may no one would have ever heard of brooks robinson". it was lee that made that incredible put out from the third base coaches box.

brooks had huge hands. i really don't think the guy needed a glove.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    Thanks, man.

Your boy Lee May dubbed that name on him. Brooks stole a couple of doubles from him down the line.

Funny thing was when he retired and Doug DeCinces replaced him. He didn't guard the line as close as Brooks
    did. Good thing for us he came up a couple of years after that series-lol.

Here's some pics of those dives from Brooks. Even Frank Robinson said I used to stand in the outfield as a fan and just
    marvel at the plays Brooks made time and time again. Here's some of them in that great series.

Sparky Anderson said I hope that car they give him as an extra big glove box. He had huge hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVOgq4-IaBg
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-18-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks, man.

Your boy Lee May dubbed that name on him. Brooks stole a couple of doubles from him down the line.

Funny thing was when he retired and Doug DeCinces replaced him. He didn't guard the line as close as Brooks
    did. Good thing for us he came up a couple of years after that series-lol.

Here's some pics of those dives from Brooks. Even Frank Robinson said I used to stand in the outfield as a fan and just
    marvel at the plays Brooks made time and time again. Here's some of them in that great series.

Sparky Anderson said I hope that car they give him as an extra big glove box. He had huge hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVOgq4-IaBg
    That danged near brought a tear to my eye. Brooks was the Man.

Blog Entries

I loved JOhnny Bench. I think he was drafted in the 3rd round wasn't he? Anyway The Os missed him.

Palmer tells the story about the first time he faced Bench in the minors. Earl Weaver was his coach and the first
    time he ever spoke to Earl was when he came out to the mound and said no junk shit to Bench. Give him your
    fast ball and Palmer was young with about a 99 mph fast ball.

But Palmer said Bench had a home run reputation even then and said Earl, I don't think it's a good idea to do that
    with Bench. Earl said just do what I tell you.

Palmer did and Bench hit a home run.

Jim said I never listened to Earl again.

Bench was eccentric though. I read when his first wife divorced him she said he played pool with a buddy on their
    wedding night while she waited for him in bed. Nice guy. ILMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    This. I can never understand why somebody would root for a school that they didn't go to. It might be one thing if you live in a state with no pro teams and/or you didn't go to a school with competitive teams. But either way, I see College Park as more of a DC area school. Most people who live in the area are pretty big Redskins fans.

If anything, I think that Towson should be the official college team of Baltimore.
    Because I've been going to Maryland games since I was old enough to walk. Academically, another school without prominent athletics met my needs better. But I still root for the Terps, and go to games when I can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BohBalmer View Post
    Shaping up to be a hell of a year for Maryland Sports. Ravens world champs, Terps knock off #2 Duke at Comcast, and the Orioles are setting up a killer lineup again this year.

We're in for a special summer.

And October ;)
    So one win makes a year?? Sounds like desperation and reaching for some kind of hope. I guess that happens when the team is horrible for multiple seasons. Precisely why that is not a rivalry and never has been. Duke could care less who they lost to. Just another game to them. Meanwhile Terps fans celebrate like they won the title.

Blog Entries

I loved JOhnny Bench. I think he was drafted in the 3rd round wasn't he? Anyway The Os missed him.

Palmer tells the story about the first time he faced Bench in the minors. Earl Weaver was his coach and the first
    time he ever spoke to Earl was when he came out to the mound and said no junk shit to Bench. Give him your
    fast ball and Palmer was young with about a 99 mph fast ball.

But Palmer said Bench had a home run reputation even then and said Earl, I don't think it's a good idea to do that
    with Bench. Earl said just do what I tell you.

Palmer did and Bench hit a home run.

Jim said I never listened to Earl again.

Bench was eccentric though. I read when his first wife divorced him she said he played pool with a buddy on their
    wedding night while she waited for him in bed. Nice guy. ILMAO
    Bench was picked #2. Bernie Carbo was #1 IIRC. Bench sure got a blast about wedding night. I heard it was playing ping pong all nite with a bunch of teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    Towson? Really?
    Hey, laugh all you want, we're one of the best football teams in FCS, and we had one of the best recruiting classes outside of the Big Six conferences in the country this past off-season. We've had a historic turnaround, and when we're postseason eligible this year, we'll have a pretty good shot at an NCAA bid. Who knows, maybe the next cinderella story.