Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT Terps vs Duke

MD is swimming in red ink and dropped several sports. Many colleges are and so are the conferences. The Big 10 wants the New York and DC markets. They even invited little Rutgers (not Duke) into the conference to get NY.

The ACC isn't what it's used to be. It's mostly an all North Carolina league, tobacco road and all, their tournaments are usually in Greensboro, nutten but NC fans and either Duke or NC has won the last 20 tournaments or thereabouts. MD will get killed in Big 10 football but they already got a good recruiting class after their announcement of going into the Big 10. It was called 37th best class in the country. MD will get more blue chips from the area and better coaches too. Everyone wants to play in the Big 10. MD will hold its own in basketball and get better recruits.

Gary Williams was consulted and approved the move despite those rivalries he coached and played against.

Back to Terps basketball, Bob Hanie said when they ran of 12 wins at the top of the season that not even Turgeon
    knew how good this team is and most of these guys are left over from Gary.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-17-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Turgeon seems like the right man for the job. He needs more talent and he knows it but he's getting the most out of the young group. Good hire.

Hope the football team can avoid all of those injuries this year...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Do agree with those who said the ACC stopped caring about the rivalries and tradition when it moved to add all those teams. That is a good point.

Hell, I still think of Florida State as the "new team." BC, VT and Miami, along with the ones scheduled to come, just seem like an appendage -- like mandatory non conference games they play every year -- that's how those games seem to me. The games that matter to me are the ones with the original 8 but that's me just living in the past, really.

The ACC has indeed screwed up the conference. No question.

But deep down I was looking forward to the day Coach Ratface finally retires and takes his damn referee crew down to hell with him where they belong. Then sit back and watch the UNC dynasty go down in flames... the NCAA investigation is not going away, and the farther they dig, the closer it's going to get to the hoops program -- you watch.

Elected officials are now involved, and are loudly recommending that prosecutors get involved in the academic fraud -- because falsifying papers to get high grades you didn't earn, in order to obtain another year of taxpayer funded scholarshp money is -- say it with me -- criminal fraud -- obtaining scholarship money from the State by using fradulent means and misrepresentations. That's not just a crime in NC, it's a felony. Marvin Austin come on down, we got a warrant waiting for ya!!

And its damn impossible to believe that of the 150 or so "crooked classes" they've identified at UNC-Cheat so far, that ONLY football players were taking them.

Roy Williams is sweating like a whore in church.

So I wish the Terps could have stuck around to see it. Turgeon might have been sitting on a goldmine. Now I think the Terps are just going to get buried in the middle of that new conference, because they're not expanding their recruiting base to anywhere that they don't already recruit, and now they've just got more buzz-saw teams up ahead of them. Oh well. Mediocrity has been the norm for awhile, so it's not like that part will take any getting used to lol......

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    The ACC is not the ACC people have memories of.

Our basketball rival was going to be freaking PITT.

The only rivalries I care/cared about were Duke, UNC, and UVA, and we weren't even guaranteed to play those guys at home every year.

The ACC doesn't give a shit about Maryland and our " rivalries", why should I give a shit about the ACC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Agreed.

It's all about the Carolina schools and screw everyone else. I'm glad MD moved.

Blog Entries

I learned my lesson back when the Lefty-led Terps played Duke for the conference championship and Elmore goes up for the tip-in
    to win it and is mugged, tackled, gagged, drugged and everything under the basket by Giminski-sp. He of course missed and Duke won and that was long before K.

I never watched another tournament after that.

One time MD complained about all the tournaments being in Greensboro, so the ACC held it in Landover, MD one year
    but it was still the same. Each school is alotted a certain amount of tickets so it was still all North Carolina fans
    way up here.

SCrew em!

With Pitt and Cuse coming online, we never had the guarantee that we would still play Duke and UNC twice a year anyways since the ACC determined that Pitt would be our new rival. Even ignoring the All Carolina Conference and the fact that maybe once every ten years the tournament is held outside of it, the horrible deal that Swofford did with Raycom (his son is director of media... nepotism at its finest) while the B1G has their own network was too good of an offer to pass up, especially after Debbie Yow bled our finances down the drain. The ACC has been down for awhile now (yes Duke and UNC have good seasons but not consistent domination) that I am looking forward to going up against Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Ohio State in basketball.

I would love nothing more then to win the ACC tournament next year as a big F-U on the way out.

Besides Coach K will be singing a different tune once Clemson, VT, and FSU bolt to the SEC/Big 12 and the Big Ten cherry picks either GT or UNC.

Blog Entries

Yea, speaking of Yow, remember she said Gary Williams tried to sabotage her recruiting class-lol. What a bitch. She killed
    the program. Rumor has it Gary would have retired sooner but just wanted to out-last her. He retired after she left. She
    tried to fire the Fridge for years and he was in Gary's good ole boys club that included Bisciotti who practicly financed their
    new ComCast Center by himself.

They hated her down there from what I read and heard.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I learned my lesson back when the Lefty-led Terps played Duke for the conference championship and Elmore goes up for the tip-in
    to win it and is mugged, tackled, gagged, drugged and everything under the basket by Giminski-sp. He of course missed and Duke won and that was long before K.
    Er ... Buck Williams (vs Elmore).

Check out this video of the "Flash Mob" & "Harlem Shake" thrown down on Sat night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1qoZxWAsk8

I'm living a charmed life 'cause not only was I in Nawlins for SB XLVII (endzone seat, the one the Ravens defended on their magnificent last stand), but I was also in the white T shirt group right behind the Duke bench!

The fellows who started the first dance are known as the Turgeonette's ... they dress to look like coach Turgeon, including a touch of light shoe polish in the hair. Just in front of them is Scott van Pelt, ESPN anchor and UMd grad, who was attending game as a fan. He is of course is the fellow with shaved head, dark glasses, grey sweater. As dance begins, he is engrossed in his cell phone. Later in the video he looks up and is amazed at what has happened around him.

Hats off to the UMd students, the Dance Team, and producer Carrie Blankenship for pulling this off!

I love how Coach K trots out the "I have tremendous respect for Maryland" conceit before he takes his shot. Typical arrogance. As if it is possible to take the high road and stoop down to take a shot at Maryland at the same time. You can't have it both ways, K.

You say that if the rivalry is so important to Maryland they wouldn't leave for the Big 10. Well, I say if Maryland was just another opponent for Duke you wouldn't be pissed they were leaving.

Maryland was your ideal opponent, good enough to give you a marquee game every year, but never quite good enough to challenge you and UNC as the prince of the kingdom.

But now you see that being Prince isn't so swell when parts of the kingdom secede. You claim Maryland was in an ideal spot, situated "in the middle of the ACC" but we all know the middle of the ACC was always on Tobacco Road and Durham. Even after adding the likes of BC and Miami to the ACC, Maryland never shared center stage with Duke and UNC when it came to basketball.

Maybe that sounds like jealousy to say that on my end, but on your end, Coach K, it sounds like arrogance to take a shot at my team as it heads out the door.

If you don't think arrogance is part of the Duke basketball culture, check out what women's b-ball coach Joanne P. McCallum was tweeting as the men's game was playing out on TV.

Joanne P. McCallie ‏@CoachPDuke
    Teams that run on emotion usually turn ball over more, get a tough game once in awhile, but cannot run 6 games in NCAA tourney. #Poise
    Top dog vs underdog. Take the top dog status any day. Got to bring home a national title or a few to truly be top dog. It's concrete. #Real
    What would all these venues do without Duke basketball? Sell fewer tickets, have less to dream about, & just melt away into oblivion. #GoDuke.
    That last one has since been taken down.

Nothing is more annoying than tweets with the abstract #'s at the end of them. Duck Fuke. My hatred for that school and it's arrogant followers and leaders goes almost as deep as my disdain for all things Pittsburgh. Almost :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosdaman View Post
    Check out this video of the "Flash Mob" & "Harlem Shake" thrown down on Sat night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1qoZxWAsk8
    That is so freaking cool. Makes me miss being there.