Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: OT - Real Estate Question.

VA appraiser will look for things that make the house disfunctional. It is actually for your benefit. Not chipping paint but bad windows or rotten wood or loose railings and such they will want fixed.
    Actually b you agent should have given you 3 lenders to choose from not steered you towards her favorite, not a good sign. Have been in the biz for years.
    If you want a pre-approval I will do one for you and you can still choose any lender after you write the contract.
    I work for a federally chartered mortgage bank so message me if you have any questions on that end.
    Also is she working as a buyers agent for you specifically??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I get that.

You know, I just don't like basically being given an ultimatum like that.

Emailing me twice a day, texting me at 9pm at night, leaving voice mails, trying to connect with me on facebook and linked in...just to see if we've spoken with her mortgage guy...I don't know. That is a bit "used car salesman-ish" for me.

Am I wrong for feeling that way?
    Yeah I agree. I wouldn't like that either. You don't need a preapproval from their guy just from some bank.

I agree with the pre- qual...
    But go to housing counseling ASAP.
    The bank will qualify you for an amount but the housing counselor will say that you need to fall into a lower amount and should be able to tell you about different programs, rates's, and tell you what they think of he mortgage product. Or recommend a product with both rehab and mortgage money so that you can do what you want with the property

Fire the agent.
    Your vibe is telling you that she is too aggressive. This is an important decision. You need to feel comfortable.
    Ill try to find info for you later today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HHIRaven View Post
    VA appraiser will look for things that make the house disfunctional. It is actually for your benefit. Not chipping paint but bad windows or rotten wood or loose railings and such they will want fixed.
    Actually b you agent should have given you 3 lenders to choose from not steered you towards her favorite, not a good sign. Have been in the biz for years.
    If you want a pre-approval I will do one for you and you can still choose any lender after you write the contract.
    I work for a federally chartered mortgage bank so message me if you have any questions on that end.
    Also is she working as a buyers agent for you specifically??
    Good to know.

Yea, let me talk with my wife (she handles the finances) and if we have any questions I'll PM you.

Regarding her, she pretty much gave us one guy in the area that she recommends. We haven't called him yet. And no, we haven't signed any contract with her to designate her as a buyer's agent. The only reason we started with her is because we really wanted to go see a specific house and I just requested a showing online.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Good to know.

Yea, let me talk with my wife (she handles the finances) and if we have any questions I'll PM you.

Regarding her, she pretty much gave us one guy in the area that she recommends. We haven't called him yet. And no, we haven't signed any contract with her to designate her as a buyer's agent. The only reason we started with her is because we really wanted to go see a specific house and I just requested a showing online.
    Then, my suggestion would be to find a lender you are comfortable with, and have them recommend a realtor for you. IMO, the lender is BY FAR the mos timportant party of a real property transaction. Realtors are a dime a dozen and can basically be chosen by choosing the person with the personality that works for you.l

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    are you wrong? NO... but really, without a prequal, the realtor is pissing in the wind. They really have no reason to show you even a single house withouta prequal. They don't get paid until you buy a house, so showing you houses they have no idea if you even qualify for is asking a lot of someone. Many sellers don't even like to show houses unless the buyer is prequalified.

So I hate to put it this way, but until you are prequalified you are honestly wasting everyone's time looking at houses, your's included.

To put it another way, if you do find a house you like, the fact that you are not curretnly prequalified precludes you from putting an offer ona property that will be taken seriously, and could easily cost you the house you desire. It really should be the first step you take, prior to even looking at houses. It's jsut how it works.

A prequal doesn't limit you to anything, or even bind you to the particular lender that prequalified you. Though, again, if you choose a different lender you officially got someone to work for free... which, IMO is bad business. Yu really should shop for a Lender with a broad rang eof specialties first, and perhaps even have them suggest a realtor for the area you are looking at.
    Then, my suggestion would be to find a lender you are comfortable with, and have them recommend a realtor for you. IMO, the lender is BY FAR the mos timportant party of a real property transaction. Realtors are a dime a dozen and can basically be chosen by choosing the person with the personality that works for you.l
    Thanks for pointing this out JB.

I never really thought about the process before, but it does make sense to go to a realtor AFTER you've already established a lender. Kind of keeps you in control as well.

You don't ever hear about the process being in that order. It's always real estate agent and then lender.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

My parents built in Keedysville, Md. when they retired and that area is really beautiful. Their 5 acre lot was very close to the Antietam battlefield, and according to a Park Ranger, a camping area for the troops. There are some homes along Red Hill Road in that area with breathtaking views. Last time we went through there, there were many for sale.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

I found the company that my co-worker's mom and brother USED to work for (they apparently aren't listed there anymore), it's Primary Residential Mortgage, Inc. Since they don't seem to work there anymore, can't speak for the company, just throwing something out for you.

Personally, my loans are owned by Suntrust, and we worked with a guy based out of York, PA for our refinance (Their office is York, PA, but I think he can work with anything in MD too), I would definitely recommend him, but he's with a specific bank, so technically that would limit you to just Suntrust.

But agree with the posters above...pre-appoval doesn't bind you to one lender, except that you'd have to get a pre-approval from a different lender later.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The lender is the one who will actually get you into the house you want, the realtor will show you everything that she thinks you might buy. Unfortunately commissions play a big part with realtors.
    It is your right to shop for a good realtor who makes you feel comfortable, dont get stuck with someone and feel obligated to her just because you requested a showing and got her.
    This is the biggest investment you will make for quite a while, keep control of it and dont add any extra un-needed stress to the process.

Blog Entries

This, if you find a lender you really want to go with, they probably have dealt with enough agents to know who works well and who doesn't. I think we had it backwards with the first house my wife bought (real estate agent had a broker they worked with and acted on her behalf), 2nd time around we had that agent recommend a different agent (who could search in MD, since we lived in Hanover, PA at the time) who also knew the mortgage broker.

Of course THAT guy went off the grid (the broker) awhile ago. To be honest, he was a nice guy, but sold us on a pretty poor loan, which made the refi this past year all the more important.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I had a tough time recently and had to short sale a house in Frederick County. My realtor was Trish Mills and she was very good - handled everything and was not over the top. Cleaned up the mess another realtor got me into.

As far as Frederick County goes I really liked Jefferson, though unfortunately it feeds Brunswick High School which may not be where you want to send you children. May I suggest looking in the Adamstown / Point of Rocks corridor? Main route to DC is 270 with Rt 28 a nice back way when you need it, convenient to Leesburg via Rt 15. Schools feed to Tuscarora HS which is very modern and well thought of.

From Jefferson I used to make NW DC (Wisconsin Ave via River Rd) in 45 minutes, off rush hour.

Big fan of Fredneck. Intend to go back, eventually.

Edit to Add : Frederick Co Schools Home Page. Looking under schools, most of the elementary & middle schools are fine, it's the high schools you want to aim for. I would look to locate towards Frederick, Thomas Johnson, Linganore, Tusacarora & Urbana. Don't know enough about Catoctin, Oakdale or Walkersville to opine. Dealt with Brunswick personally... they aren't the worst by any means, but there are better.

The area North of Jefferson in the Catoctin Valley is awesome. It should feed to Middletown HS and there are some beautiful old homes in that wonderful valley, hidden from the world yet not far from everything.

Good luck!
    Last edited by 2gigch1; 02-16-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Also, check out the property taxes from county to county. For instance thier is a big difference between Baltimore City taxes and County taxes for only being a few streets over. (Baltimore City taxes are alot more). I don't know what county you want to live in, but check those tax rates, it can be a hefty bill every year.