Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

King Dunlop views on him?

With all the big name free agent LT's out there might he come cheap? With Rivera here now as a coach do you think he could make him a servicable LT to be able to keep Oher at RT and draft and develope a your LT. Think he would be a better option than McKinnie if they are worried about work ethics. Ideas???

Re: King Dunlop views on him?

Quote Originally Posted by HHIRaven View Post
    With all the big name free agent LT's out there might he come cheap? With Rivera here now as a coach do you think he could make him a servicable LT to be able to keep Oher at RT and draft and develope a your LT. Think he would be a better option than McKinnie if they are worried about work ethics. Ideas???
    Well, it's certainly not an ideal option, but as you say it would give the Ravens time to develop their LT of the future and would potentially be less of a risk than McKinnie at (hopefully) similar or even less money. It's not a bad thought at all honestly and with Castillo on the coaching staff it's not unrealistic either.

FWIW, Pro Football Focus graded Dunlap out at +6.6, and McKinnie at +5.6. Their blurb on Dunlap from their Free Agent blog:

At the lower reaches of our free agent rankings we’re getting into players who can start in a pinch and offer quality performances when called upon. When Demetress Bell struggled in place of Jason Peters, it fell to King Dunlap to fill that void and he did an admirable job. You’re never going to mistake him for Peters, but his pass protection was, outside of a couple of games, excellent… though he struggled as a run blocker in the Eagles’ system.

Considering some of the tackles who were forced into starting last season and their performance levels one of those teams with dreadful tackles could do worse than offer Dunlap the chance to come in and win a job at one of their tackle spots.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...nsive-tackles/

Blog Entries

My thoughts on the "plan" for LT

1. McKinnie
    2. Dunlap
    3. Sam Baker/Winston Justice
    4. Geoff Schwartz (RT, with Oher moving to LT)

All 3 options involve drafting a LT
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Dunlap is also 6'9 for what its worth, this is actually an interesting option. He would come cheap, and has potential to get better. He's still relatively young.

Blog Entries
    He would be cheap. That's for sure.

Not my ideal situation though.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Would rather have him at LT than Michael Oher.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I agree. I think the team needs to just leave Oher at RT.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Dunlop is no where near as good as Oher. He's completely stiff. Every chance the Eagles can to bench him they do. I wouldn't go near this guy.
    Last edited by GOTA; 02-23-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He would be cheap. That's for sure.

Not my ideal situation though.

I think we kinda just have to accept that barring something going against all expectations, we are not going to get great protection from the LT spot next year. That's just unavoidable.

We're not going to get one of the top 3 LTs in the draft, so even the best-case scenario is probably McKinnie coming back on a cheap deal. Who knows what will happen with him? He played pretty good down the playoff stretch, but what's to say he won't ride the pine for months again after a repeat of the last offseason? Or maybe he just declines as a result of age and lack of effort after a big pay day? Even if he's the best solution McKinnie's no guarantee to be great.

If it's not Big Mac, it will be a cheaper FA like Dunlap, a raw rookie who's probably not ready to play LT, or (possibly worst of all) reshuffling the OL to put Oher or KO into the LT spot. No matter what happens it's not going to be all that pretty. We just have to hope that the weakness at LT will be offset by Caldwell's offense, the rest of the OL playing at a high level, and the skill position players producing at a high level.

Blog Entries

I think the team has looked at cheap options at LT for long enough. It's time to invest more seriously and stop the revolving door.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Dunlop is no where near as good as Oher. He's completely stiff. Every chance the Eagles can to bench him the do. I wouldn't go near this guy.
    After week 7, he played ever snap for the Eagles, and I totally disagree with you. He gave up less sacks, pressures, and hits than Oher did down that stretch at LT.

Dunlap gave up 4 sacks after week 7, Oher gave up 8. Oher gave up 17 QB pressures while Dunlap gave up 15. Dunlop also had Nick Foles playing QB who was a rookie.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 02-23-2013 at 05:34 PM.

After week 7, he played ever snap for the Eagles, and I totally disagree with you. He gave up less sacks, pressures, and hits than Oher did down that stretch at LT.

Dunlap gave up 4 sacks after week 7, Oher gave up 8. Oher gave up 17 QB pressures while Dunlap gave up 15. Dunlop also had Nick Foles playing QB who was a rookie.
    Thanks for the info, I agree with you, and those numbers actually show not only that Dunlap was better than Oher but I would bet those numbers compare favorably with anybody. 4 sacks and 15 pressures in 9 games with a rookie QB isn't that bad at all. Why are people still under the impression Oher is even average at LT in the NFL? He is BAD at the position.

I really think we have to keep Oher away from LT at all costs. He's just so much better at RT and will continue to get better if he stays there. The OL is completely set with KO at LG, Yanda at RG, and Oher at RT. Let Gino win the C job out of camp and let somebody else play LT. It's better to be strong at 4 spots than move everybody around and get weaker at 3 spots.