Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: I'll come right out and say it: I don't want Ed Reed back

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The man can't tackle. The man can't perform the most basic responsibility of an NFL defender.
    He can't tackle like he used to, he can still tackle, just not at a very good level.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He can't tackle like he used to, he can still tackle, just not at a very good level.
    He picks up more flags for head contact than make tackles. He can't wrap up any more.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

The man can't tackle. The man can't perform the most basic responsibility of an NFL defender.
    And his gambles now end up losing more often than they end up winning. No way should he be back -- at any price. WAS he one of the greatest FSs to ever play the game? Absolutely. Does that factor into keeping him around based on past performance? No.

Blog Entries

I mean, what more do we need to see? He dropped more interceptions this year than in his entire career (A bit of an exaggeration). He can't tackle. His peaking is leaving CBs one on one outside when they are expecting help over the top. His shying away from contact is leaving running lanes. Gaping running lanes.

The man will be in a rocker and we'll hear about how he elevates the play around him. You don't think that Ray could come back and still elevate the level of play around him? Physically, he was done and he recognized that. Reed's time has been cut short due to a neck injury, which he has admirably played through for years. However, the time has come for him to retire.

If he wants to play on, good for him, but should be elsewhere.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I mean, what more do we need to see? He dropped more interceptions this year than in his entire career (A bit of an exaggeration). He can't tackle. His peaking is leaving CBs one on one outside when they are expecting help over the top. His shying away from contact is leaving running lanes. Gaping running lanes.

The man will be in a rocker and we'll hear about how he elevates the play around him. You don't think that Ray could come back and still elevate the level of play around him? Physically, he was done and he recognized that. Reed's time has been cut short due to a neck injury, which he has admirably played through for years. However, the time has come for him to retire.

If he wants to play on, good for him, but should be elsewhere.
    I agree. I love Reed and everything he's done here. I just think it's time to move on. If I were him, I'd just go out on top. What else does he have to prove? He's a HoF'er for sure.

Blog Entries

I don't mean to sound harsh, but someone has to step out of the trap that is awaiting us: The sentimental value of a homegrown future first ballot hall of famer. We are all holding on to hope that we could see Reed return one 100 yards, one last time.

The reality is that it's just not happening. He had a great career, but it's time.

It's just time.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    And his gambles now end up losing more often than they end up winning. No way should he be back -- at any price. WAS he one of the greatest FSs to ever play the game? Absolutely. Does that factor into keeping him around based on past performance? No.
    I agree that Ed gambled and got beat far too often last year, but when he played his responsibility and the other guys around him keyed on that, the results were very good. I thought he was particularly good in coverage during the latter half of the year including the playoffs, and his coverage would look even better with an improved pass rush and corners with another year of experience.

And particularly regarding the missed tackles... yes, Ed was very bad with them this year as he has been for several years now. But the defense on the whole was MISERABLE this year with missed tackles no matter who it was. There is definitely a coaching issue there with all the missed tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    And particularly regarding the missed tackles... yes, Ed was very bad with them this year as he has been for several years now. But the defense on the whole was MISERABLE this year with missed tackles no matter who it was. There is definitely a coaching issue there with all the missed tackles.
    No. With Ed it's not a coaching issue; it's an injury/technique issue. (i.e. his injuries don't allow him to use proper technique.) And it's not going to get any better; it's only going to get worse.

Blog Entries

RavensRule21215 has a point there. Ed Reed has always used great tackling technique. Right now, however, his neck is saying: "Fuck that".

Blog Entries
    RavensRule21215 has a point there. Ed Reed has always used great tackling technique. Right now, however, his neck is saying: "Fuck that".
    You've been cussing a lot lately Ex.

We rubbing off on you?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I agree that Ed gambled and got beat far too often last year, but when he played his responsibility and the other guys around him keyed on that, the results were very good. I thought he was particularly good in coverage during the latter half of the year including the playoffs, and his coverage would look even better with an improved pass rush and corners with another year of experience.
    This was the knock on Ed for years, even when he was in top form, that he'd sometimes gamble unnecessarily and blow the scheme as a result, that (at least on this point) he wouldn't listen to coaching.

But in the playoffs this year, Ed listened. He played his assignment, and we saw the difference. I don't mean that he was perfect, but he was effective. Right or wrong, QBs generally avoided him. He (partly) closed down his part of the field. You can't ask a whole lot more of a free safety than that.

I think the end for Reed is near, but not yet. This is not a broken-down old man out there.

That said, the team can't offer him star-player salary any more. Reed is playing at a good level but not top level. And we don't have the money to pay more than a moderate salary anyway. And that might mean that Ed turns us down and leaves. If so, then I'm OK with that. We can't control his demands. But we can and should make him a sensible offer that doesn't break the bank.

Yes, the tackling was a problem for the whole defensive unit for a long stretch this year. It's fair to blame Ed, but he was not alone.

Also, once his ribs heal, that's why we have Bernard Pollard on this team. He brings the hits that Ed can't deliver anymore. They're an excellent pair of safeties who complement each other's strengths and help to minimize their respective weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post
    Yes, the tackling was a problem for the whole defensive unit for a long stretch this year. It's fair to blame Ed, but he was not alone.

Also, once his ribs heal, that's why we have Bernard Pollard on this team. He brings the hits that Ed can't deliver anymore. They're an excellent pair of safeties who complement each other's strengths and help to minimize their respective weaknesses.
    And this is what I was getting at. There's no argument that Ed has a serious issue with bad tackling motivation and technique that he himself is responsible for shoring up. But how many times did Ed miss a tackle on a back running free who only got through the initial line because Ngata, Ellerbe, or Ray missed a tackle 4 yards past the LOS? Sure tackling is supposed to be a strength for those guys; we KNOW it's a weakness for Ed.

Ed is the last line of defense so he needs to be tackling well, but the MAIN problem I saw with missed tackling this year was guys who were right in position to make tackles on their man (LBs up the middle or CBs in coverage on receivers) but completely whiffed or bounced off. Even Webb missed 5 tackles in only 6 games this year compared to 7 in 18 last year, per Filmstudy's excellent defensive personnel analysis. Something was wrong there on the coaching side.

If Ed didn't have to make so many 2nd or 3rd attempt tackles 15 yards downfield he'd be exposed less. The guy was never a tackling machine and he certainly isn't now. Let him hang back there and play deep coverage.