Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: I'll come right out and say it: I don't want Ed Reed back

I think the majority of fans would like to see Ed back, the FO and the coaching staff would like to see him back, and I think he will be back. He'll get a fair offer from Ozzie, one that fits the salary structure that is in place for this year. He may entertain other offers but I really don't think he's gonna get a big offer elsewhere.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

big money = elsewhere

reasonable money (translation: Ray Lewis 3 years ago as a UFA) = keep him as a Raven

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Reed still alters opponents' game plans. They don't target him.
    I flat out don't believe this to be the case anymore. Does anyone have any actual evidence that teams aren't going after him in the field? I don't see that even a little bit. Teams throw wherever they want to throw, whether he's there or not. He can't catch the ball well unless it's thrown right to him. All but one of his INTs this season were on balls that were pretty significantly overthrown, including his SB pick. According to FO charting, he led the league in allowed broken tackles.

Reed at this point is a liability on the field. He makes some big plays, but if he's not picking off an overthrown pass, he is, very frankly, a worthless body on the field. I wouldn't particularly mind bringing him back for one or two more years at a very low price. But if there's even one young guy the Ravens don't sign because they're paying Reed instead, I think they're making a HUGE mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    FOX kept Manning from throwing in the 4th qtr in Denver because he was scared of Reed. He didn't even trust Manning.
    LOL, this is asinine on several levels. Up until the Broncos drive which started with them up seven with 3:12 to play, the Broncos ran ten offensive plays and seven of them were pass attempts, so it's not even true. But the thought that John Fox would
    a) have control over whether or not Manning does or doesn't pass,
    b) was scared to pass with Peyton Manning who was one of two guys in serious considerations for MVP of the league this year and/or
    c) was that scared because of Ed Reed
    is quite simply not rational in any sense of the word.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Ed Reed isn't the Reed of old, we all know that, and he can be upgraded eventually. But right now, cap implications have a good chance of not even enabling us to resign Ed Reed, let alone an upgrade. And a rookie coming in and starting from day one (especially when you're picking at 32) holds around an 80 % chance of being a significant downgrade to Reed of this year in his rookie season, and has a shot at even being a disaster. The best case is to try and get Reed re-signed for a 2/3 year deal that isn't ridiculous, and daft a mid round safety prospect, while using the higher round picks on LBs, Dline, and possibly Oline. Kenny Vaccoro and Matt Elam are the only players I'd consider in the first round, and I just can't seem them being there at 32, Mark Baron went in the top ten last year, and had significant coverage issues that Vaccoro doesn't have.

Reed's leadership cannot be overlooked, and I think the FO are going to pursue this a lot more than many would think, I don't think they like the idea of losing both their inspirational and most respected leaders all in one offseason. He has one more contract left in him.

Ed Reed will always be one of my favorite players. He is probably the greatest safety of all time. I have seen every game he played at M&T.

However, Father Time has caught up to him and his play on the field is not going to improve. I have always noticed with football players is that once they reach a certain age around 34 or 35, their play starts to slowly decline. Then, one day, it totally drops off and that is the end. Ray Lewis hit that wall the day of the Super Bowl, but that was fine. He announced his retirement and left a champion. Ed Reed wants to milk every last dime out of the NFL when he is clearly 2 steps behind Ray Lewis. I think this is going to end badly with Ed Reed going to another team. Let's face it, the Ravens are in mini rebuilding mode. Next year's team will not look anything like this year's team. I do not believe Flacco will take anything less than 20 million a year and 60 million guaranteed. The Ravens will gut the team to keep their franchise QB. Money will be tighter than ever and I don't see Ozzie investing in a 35 year old safety that can no longer tackle. Right player, right price does not equal Ed Reed anymore. I just wish he would have gone out with Ray Lewis and retired a champion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I flat out don't believe this to be the case anymore. Does anyone have any actual evidence that teams aren't going after him in the field? I don't see that even a little bit. Teams throw wherever they want to throw, whether he's there or not. He can't catch the ball well unless it's thrown right to him. All but one of his INTs this season were on balls that were pretty significantly overthrown, including his SB pick. According to FO charting, he led the league in allowed broken tackles.

Reed at this point is a liability on the field. He makes some big plays, but if he's not picking off an overthrown pass, he is, very frankly, a worthless body on the field. I wouldn't particularly mind bringing him back for one or two more years at a very low price. But if there's even one young guy the Ravens don't sign because they're paying Reed instead, I think they're making a HUGE mistake.

LOL, this is asinine on several levels. Up until the Broncos drive which started with them up seven with 3:12 to play, the Broncos ran ten offensive plays and seven of them were pass attempts, so it's not even true. But the thought that John Fox would
    a) have control over whether or not Manning does or doesn't pass,
    b) was scared to pass with Peyton Manning who was one of two guys in serious considerations for MVP of the league this year and/or
    c) was that scared because of Ed Reed
    is quite simply not rational in any sense of the word.

- C -
    DUDE - the bottom line is Fox kept the great Manning away from Ed Reed pure and simple.

Somebody was afraid of him. Their fans bitched because they ran in the 4th qtr and OT. Here's the great Manning who
    can call his own plays more than anyone since Unitas and he's handing off. Fox played it safe
    in the 4th QTR thinking he'd break our defense in OT and when Manning did throw in OT it was away from Reed
    over the middle to Corey Graham who intercepted it and set up Tucker Time.

Manning had 3 turnovers including 2 interceptions and a fumble leading to scores and he wasn't even pressured
    most of the day.

If Reed is finished, then Manning is too.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-17-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    The OP's assertion that resigning Ed Reed will cost us players is ridiculous because he's seems to think that resigning him will be costly money wise. Two things here. Not signing Joe Flacco to a cap friendly deal will cost us players. Furthermore the market for Ed Reed will be nowhere near the $7 he made last year. I really think it's a little lower than that. If he agrees to a two year contract for 8-10M it's a no brainer for me personally. Ed Reed's physical limitations are well known but his leadership and film study far outweigh those physical limitations. I hope he comes back but our front office has shown that they are not afraid to cut long time fan favorites.
    Ozzie has already gone on record saying the focus of this draft will be to focus the middle of the defense (i.e DTs, LBs, safeties).
    I do believe re-signing him will be costly money-wise. He played for ~$7m this past season. What do you think he's going to want this season? Ray Lewis's "sunset" contract took him to age 38, next season. If he was going to play out that contract, he'd be owed ~$5.4m this season, with another $2m of spread-out signing bonus cap hit that we're going to absorb even in his retirement. Do you think Ed Reed is going to sit down this offseason, look at his Super Bowl ring, and suddenly decide that he only wants to come back to Baltimore, and is prepared to do it for, say, $2m a year? What happens when Bill Belichick or Chuck Pagano rings him up when free agency opens and offers 3 years for $10m or more?

Yeah, waiting too long to get Flacco signed to a long-term deal will cost us more than whatever we do with Reed, but make no mistake: taking the sentimental approach of having Reed "retire a Raven" in some year other than 2013 is going to take up cap space that could have been used for someone else. Does Reed get $7m a year? That's Paul Kruger or releasing Anquan Boldin. $5m a year? That's Dannell Ellerbe or releasing Jacoby Jones. $3m a year? That's Vonta Leach right there. And let's not forget: next year is the last year of Oher's deal, and he's going to want at least some sort of decent contract for an OT. It's the last year for Boldin, Jacoby, Leach, if they remain with the team. It's the last year for Corey Graham, who many are counting on to replace Cary Williams. Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson will be UFAs, as will Arthur Jones. And it's the next to last year for Torrey Smith, and the first one he's eligible to work towards an extension... say he has his breakout season, how much is he going to cost?

If you put Ed Reed on the books for 2-3 more years, IT WILL COST US PLAYERS. This is indisputable.

8. Re: I'll come right out and say it: I don't want Ed Reed back

I hope he's back and retires a Raven. He can still play at a high level and is still one of the top safeties in the league. He can't wrap up anymore but he can still hit and his coverage and range is still very good. Hopefully him and his agent can work something out with the FO

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I flat out don't believe this to be the case anymore. Does anyone have any actual evidence that teams aren't going after him in the field?
    Well, according to Tom Brady before the Ravens/Patriots regular season game this year:

“He’s pretty much ingrained permanently in my mind,” Brady said. “He’s such a playmaker for them, and he shows up in a lot of different spots.”

“He has such a great understanding of what offenses are doing,” Brady said. “He obviously studies hard; he’s a student of the game. He competes incredibly hard, and if you make a mistake, he really capitalizes.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...a-7b397b385e7c

So before the third game of his worst season of his career, he doesn't say "I'm not going anywhere near him." That's not what I would call "evidence."

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Well, He wasn't afraid of Ed here, or um, kicking him in the nuts as he tried to tackle him.

But look at the defensive alignment before the snap. He's looking left to throw away from Reed but the guy is covered
    so he runs and Reed comes way across to get in on the tackle before the karate act.

A pic is worth a thousand words they say.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...gressive-slide

Peyton Manning in December, 2012:

Regarding Reed, Manning said: "Ed Reed, in my opinion, is the best safety in the NFL and has been for this past decade. I could go on and on. He's got tremendous ball skills, tremendous range and (he is) a tremendous athlete."

Based on what some of the best quarterbacks in the game today say, I think he still affects the game planning of opposing offenses, but maybe that's just me.