Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: I'll come right out and say it: I don't want Ed Reed back

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    How much do we expect the front office to offer him?
    Oz usually lets the market dictate.......he will say, we want you back, how much will it cost?
    We will see what we can do.
    Isn't that the most honest way, when you know a player really wants to stay and you have a good relationship?
    The key there is having a good relationship, a business climate of good will.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    How much do we expect the front office to offer him?
    Going off what Ravenanalytics said, I think Charles Woodson's release will lower the price for Reed. If Reed is looking for a pay day we can't offer him that. We just simply don't have enough money. If Reed is looking for another ring he won't leave. No way no how. I know there's been a lot of discussion lately about where Flacco ranks, but I think Flacco is the best QB in the AFC. He practices against Ed Reed every week and when he's on no defense can stop him.

All that being said, I think Reed should be our number 2 priority in the off season behind Flacco. I love Ellerbe, Kruger and Cary...but this was their only good year. I mean before this season we were talking about possibly cutting Ellerbe, before last season it was Kruger. Ed Reed has been playing great for the past 10 years. During the playoffs Reed was hitting like his old self. I understand he won't do that during the regular season, but that's why we got Pollard. Reed makes everybody around him better. With Ray leaving we need Reed to be the QB of the defense.

Also, we always talk about linebackers that played next to Ray, left our team, and then went on to do nothing. How about all those free safeties? Gary Baxter, Landry, Jimmy Leonhard. I don't know about y'all , but I'm a bit hesitant with my team parting ways with the best safety that has ever played. Age is just a number especially at a position like safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    This post is amazingly wordy. I can't believe it took so long to say so little. I felt like I just sat through the State of the Union.

I think the key thing is to remember that we have a philosophy that's gotten us here - "Right player, right price." At some point, you're right, the economic cost of keeping Reed will outweigh the benefits, but I think you're being too abstract in accusing a relatively moderate salary of $3M causing us to lose "a younger piece of the puzzle."

Let's look at the last few years, especially this year. How many defensive backs have we seen come and go? Josh Wilson, Lardarius Webb, Cary Williams, Jimmy Smith, Laron Landry, Zibi, Pollard, Naka, to name a few. All of them, when in our secondary, have played above expectations (see Jimmy's performance, finally healthy, in the SB). Landry, Zibi, Pollard, and Wilson are not anything special on other teams. Lardarius Webb was unheard of. Cary Williams came from the practice squad.

Do you see a trend? Reed is a rock that coaches and manages the secondary to play at a completely different level. It's just the same way we are able to plug-in damn near every linebacker next to Ray Lewis and have them play above their expectations. There's a reason why the current reigning "Smartest Guy in the Room" Bill Belichick loves Reed. He's no fool. You see this in our rival, the Steelers. How much worse is their defense without 43? Likewise I wouldn't be surprised to see Green Bay's secondary defense take a step back with Woodson out.

I agree that you can't overpay Reed and sacrifice the young talent. But you make it sound like ALL our young players are worth more than Reed, and you can't say that.
    You're falling prey to exactly the sort of thinking that I hope our front office avoids. Absolutely, we've surrounded Reed with a huge variety of different players in the secondary. He's been the constant presence there for a decade, and helped some of those players overachieve, players who later went elsewhere and had some of their flaws exposed. Just like Ray Lewis was the stalwart while we let guys like Hartwell and Bart Scott get their money elsewhere.

But that decade is gone, man. 24-year-old Ed Reed is not walking through that door any time soon. It was a great run, ultimately got us to a title, but assuming that he'll have that same impact over the next 2-3 years when his play on the field can't keep up with his knowledge of the game is foolish.

The Steelers have huge money tied up in Polamalu and now thanks to injuries he hasn't even seen the field much these past couple years. That's what happens to safeties. They fly all over the field make huge hits at high speeds and their bodies break down. Ed Reed's been able to tough through his injuries, mostly because he can still run, can still put himself in position to be close to the action. But what happens when he gets there? Sometimes he drops the pick. Sometimes he slams into a receiver with terrible form and lets the guy bounce right off and run past him. Sometimes he wraps up and gets dragged 6-8 yards before the player goes down. These things matter.

And all reports indicate that Reed is likely to receive interest at least from New England and Indianapolis, if not elsewhere. That isn't likely to equate to him taking a bargain deal to remain in purple. If he was only seeing interest from the Clevelands and Jacksonvilles of the NFL, that might be different, but those are playoff teams with championship aspirations of their own. He could see himself as the guy to put them over that hump.

Who would you give up to keep Ed Reed, if you had to? Boldin? Jacoby? Leach? Those are all important cogs of the offense that is going to lead us into the next era of Ravens football. I'd rather see Reed's money go towards shoring up the LT position and keeping our offensive linemen in their current places, whether that means bringing back McKinnie, or better yet, finding a competent LT in the rich FA market and giving him a reasonable deal.

Right player, right price is the way to go. And the right price for Ed Reed is far lower than what the market is going to pay. So we shouldn't be the ones to pay it.

Mentally he is still first rate. Physically he is done. See Ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Y And the right price for Ed Reed is far lower than what the market is going to pay. So we shouldn't be the ones to pay it.
    What are you a swami or something?
    Can you look into your crystal ball and tell me something else?
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Manning and Brady agree with the OP and so does every offense in the NFL.

FOX kept Manning from throwing in the 4th qtr in Denver because he was scared of Reed. He didn't even trust Manning. So there's the
    great Manning handing off because he was afraid of Ed.

So now there's a fan who wants to off Ed, just like all those guys who didn't like Joe.

Some people. Geesh.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-17-2013 at 01:23 PM.

If we hadn't gone all the way, I could see him looking to go to someone else that was more of a perceived contender but now, he has his ring and has legacy to finish writing and this close to the end, I can see him wanting to finish it in purple. People may be surprised what he stays here for.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Manning and Brady agree with the OP and so does every offense in the NFL.

FOX kept Manning from throwing in the 4th qtr in Denver because he was scared of Reed. He didn't even trust Manning. So there's the
    great Manning handing off because he was afraid of Ed.

So now there's a fan who wants to off Ed, just like all those guys who didn't like Joe.

Some people. Geesh.
    And we should be forever thankful that they let their fear of Reed's reputation lead them into bad playcalling decisions.

Blog Entries

Come on y'all. Don't let the Super Bowl Championship blind from how bad it was for you to see the state of Ed Reed's game this season. By Ed Reed's standards, it was bad. Missing tackles, dropping picks, peeking in the backfield, calling himself disguising and leaving wide open running lanes.

It was bad.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

What do you expect at his age, man? He's still playing with a banged up neck. That's one reason
    why he keeps hitting with his shoulders instead of tackling with his arms.

Even Ray has slipped from his prime time. Ed just mouths off sometimes but he's a Raven
    and should retire a Raven, just like Shannan Sharpe retired as a Bronco.

And people forget about this:

Reed's interception off Kaepernick was his 9th career playoff INT tied for most with 3 others:

Charlie Waters
    Bill Simpson
    Ronnie Lott

And with a bad neck. Not bad for a old banged up man.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...afety-sam-koch

But don't take their word for it. See for yourself, an old man in the SB. Looks like K was throwing to him all the way.
    He's better old and banged up than most young and healthy safties. Brady stayed away from him too or tried to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMlxADdtJuU
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-17-2013 at 05:57 PM.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

AF-
    I can't say I disagree with what you and many say about Reed's ability to still play football. My concern is about his health and does he expose himself to really serious injury (not that he doesn't in "normal" health) if his neck/shoulder/whatever are at a point where he could potentially suffer from an RGIII type injury?

The OP's assertion that resigning Ed Reed will cost us players is ridiculous because he's seems to think that resigning him will be costly money wise. Two things here. Not signing Joe Flacco to a cap friendly deal will cost us players. Furthermore the market for Ed Reed will be nowhere near the $7 he made last year. I really think it's a little lower than that. If he agrees to a two year contract for 8-10M it's a no brainer for me personally. Ed Reed's physical limitations are well known but his leadership and film study far outweigh those physical limitations. I hope he comes back but our front office has shown that they are not afraid to cut long time fan favorites.
    Ozzie has already gone on record saying the focus of this draft will be to focus the middle of the defense (i.e DTs, LBs, safeties).