Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ravens agree to 1 year extension with Boller

Just got the text message from BR.com. Story is here:
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/Commo....aspx?id=16742

The Ravens shored up their quarterback position into the 2008 season Thursday by signing Kyle Boller to a one-year extension, announced general manager Ozzie Newsome.

He will continue to back up starter Steve McNair, forming one of the most-steady tandems under center in the NFL.

“This is good news for us,” said head coach Brian Billick. “We have said all along how important Kyle is to this team, and this secures him for at least another season for us.”

Re: Ravens agree to 1 year extension with Boller

Good move. Alex Smith is not ready to move up and with McNair's history of injuries, its a good insurance policy.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Good move. Alex Smith is not ready to move up and with McNair's history of injuries, its a good insurance policy.
    Wrong coast :D

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisQ View Post
    Wrong coast :D
    hahahahahaha ..... oops .... one too many Lone Star's or I have my fantasy back up on my brain ... not sure which.

TROY Smith .... TROY, TROY, TROY ..... think I got it now.

Crazyraven, Purplepoe, and Tex just got acid indigestion big-time. LOL

Lets keep it civil Art.
    Last edited by paulie; 09-07-2007 at 09:54 AM.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    Crazyraven, Purplepoe, and Tex just got acid indigestion big-time. LOL
    Why me?

Im fine with him as a backup which is exactly what he will be.

I stated it in another thread that if he signed here it would show that he was content with being a backup.

According to some here, Boller probably had a nice multiyear deal on the table with incentives etc..... In reality, he had a one year deal on the table that he signed. Where's all the talk about how he'd easily land a deal in the offseason from another team. I mean, if he and his agent really thought that, then why did they sign a 1 year deal?

PP
    Last edited by paulie; 09-07-2007 at 09:55 AM.

So he signs a one year extension?

Yea, that really shows a long term commmittment.

He will be a backup again.

Hey T, where's that above market deal they had on the table?

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    So he signs a one year extension?

Yea, that really shows a long term commmittment.

He will be a backup again.

Hey T, where's that above market deal they had on the table?

PP

Ironic that we seemingly don't know the figures on the contract yet and you're talking shit.

The key here is that the team is probably not confident in McNair being reliable for 3 years straight (including last year) and would rather have Boller as the starter for that period than any other QB.

I think the understanding will be pretty clear, although haters will deny it: if Boller continues to play well, which he has been despite hater opinions, he'll get his shot.

Really, I'm going to stop any argument about this on my part about this, because talking before about an extension for Boller half of this fanbase would call me crazy.

But I said I trust Ozzie.

I think some people trust Ozzie, so long as they agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Ironic that we seemingly don't know the figures on the contract yet and you're talking shit.

The key here is that the team is probably not confident in McNair being reliable for 3 years straight (including last year) and would rather have Boller as the starter for that period than any other QB.

I think the understanding will be pretty clear, although haters will deny it: if Boller continues to play well, which he has been despite hater opinions, he'll get his shot.

Really, I'm going to stop any argument about this on my part about this, because talking before about an extension for Boller half of this fanbase would call me crazy.

But I said I trust Ozzie.

I think some people trust Ozzie, so long as they agree with him.

What are you talking about?

The figure I know is that it's a one year deal.

How is it that he'll get his shot?

By McNair getting hurt? Yup. And there are 31 other QBs who will get that shot if the QB in front of them goes down.

Tell me something Dave, if the Ravens were so confident in Boller, then why not a 3 or 4 year deal?

As Billick clearly stated on Tuesday night when asked about Boller and the future.

Boller knows that McNair is the clear cut starter. Period.

It's not hating. It's a fact.

Boller is the backup. That is his clearly defined role on this team.

And what about all your talk about how when he became a Free Agent that he would get a nice deal from another team to compete for a job. If that were the case, don't you think he and his agent would've held off on signing a 1 year contract with the Ravens?

You even said on another board that if the deal offered wasn't much then it was probably just a symbolic offer. Well guess what. He took it.

Why do you think that is? Again, he WILL NOT be competing for the starting QB position on this team. If they want him as a backup for 2 more years, so be it I guess. It'll keep these message boards running.

He will play in mop up duty and if McNair gets injured.

And stop with your backtracking about if you talked about Boller signing here. I predicted that's exactly what you would do when you said "I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed or if he left". Covering all the bases so you can say crap like that.

And how is it clear that he'll get his shot?

You did read or heard exactly what Billick said regarding this exact topic on Tuesday night, correct?

If not, here it is.

"Kyle is on a one-year contract, and we'd love to have him back," coach Brian Billick said on his Tuesday radio show on WBAL. "That's really up to Kyle and his representation as we go through the year. There could be some potential for that. From a business standpoint, Kyle may want to sit back and see at the end of the season what his options are.

"He has a very clear understanding of where we are here. Steve McNair is our starting quarterback and [we] have no reason to believe Steve won't remain that for a number of years. We clearly would like to have Kyle back and would be very interested in extending Kyle."

So how exactly, besides an injury to McNair, is Boller going to get his shot?

And yes, I was wrong. I didn't think he would re-sign here.

And it's very odd that it's a 1 year deal IMO.

PP
    Last edited by purplepoe; 09-06-2007 at 11:10 PM.

Poe, its simple.

McNair hasn't gone back to back playing seasons w/o a major injury. In relief of McNair, Boller has looked good, perhaps less acurate but definitely more explosive.

Boller will get his shot to play.

Honestly, I dont believe one word Billick has to say about "McNair is our starter". You don't start a QB controversy when there isn't one.

But the likelyhood McNair starts this season and next is not high.

Honestly, baring a deep playoff run I'm not even sure if he would want to play. And go ahead and say "where do you get this?" but its a personal opinion. Just like it was my opinion that Ogden's toe was far more serious than was let on, and not just a "free veteran pass on training camp"

1) I am personally interested in teh figures on the extension (signing bonus and salary) considering that he delayed free agency a year, and even backups under the new CBA are getting paid

2) I am pretty sure that Ozzie and company had a discussion about Boller's position with the team, and behind closed doors they are telling him he has a shot at being successor. However, there is no reason to say that while Mcnair is starter.

In any case, this team is set apparently with its 3 QBs. And I like it.
    Last edited by ClericBlackDave; 09-07-2007 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Poe, its simple.

McNair hasn't gone back to back playing seasons w/o a major injury. In relief of McNair, Boller has looked good, perhaps less acurate but definitely more explosive.

Boller will get his shot to play.

Honestly, I dont believe one word Billick has to say about "McNair is our starter". You don't start a QB controversy when there isn't one.

But the likelyhood McNair starts this season and next is not high.

Honestly, baring a deep playoff run I'm not even sure if he would want to play. And go ahead and say "where do you get this?" but its a personal opinion. Just like it was my opinion that Ogden's toe
    was far more serious than was let on, and not just a "free veteran pass on training camp"

1) I am personally interested in teh figures on the extension (signing bonus and salary) considering that he delayed free agency a year, and even backups under the new CBA are getting paid

2) I am pretty sure that Ozzie and company had a discussion about Boller's position with the team, and behind closed doors they are telling him he has a shot at being successor. However, there is no reason to say that while Mcnair is starter.

In any case, this team is set apparently with its 3 QBs. And I like it.
    You don't believe Billick because you don't want to believe Billick.

If Boller has a shot at being the successor to McNair, then why is it only a one year deal?

And again, Boller as a backup is fine. It's what he is.

And once more because you don't want to answer it. You have professed that Boller could be the starter on numerous teams who have shaky starting QBs. So Ill ask you. Why would he and his agent sign a ONE year extension here if they thought he could go out and get a multiyear deal with a team with the chance to start?

And explain why the likelihood that McNair starts this season and next season isn't high.

PP

I am not a Boller lover or Hater. I am in the middle. I would love to see Boller succeed in Baltimore b/c he seems like such a team player and a decent enough guy.

All that aside, here is why I like the deal.

Troy Smith looked terrible in pre season this year. If Boller would have left then Smith would have automatically been our back up next year and with McNair's health issues we might have been in trouble. This is hedging the Troy Smith bet. If he over the course of this year does not show the improvement the Ravens are expecting then they can draft a quarterback next year and the new guy will have a year as #3 to learn how to be a NFL quarterback.

Other than that if McNair goes down this year, I think the FO is starting to think Boller is learning how to play in this league. If by some chance Boller comes in and starts to show he can play in this league it gives Ozzie another year to work out a long term deal with him. I don't think that they are ready to completely give up on him.

I believe this is why this deal was made
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!