Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 83
  1. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,236
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Prediction Thread!!!: Who Stays? Who Goes? Who Arrives?



    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Randy Moss: 28 catches, 434 yards, 15.5 avg, 3 TDs
    Jacoby Jones: 30 catches, 406 yards, 13.5 avg, 1 TD
    Its funny how you forget to mention that Jacoby is younger than Moss, faster, and had a huge part in some key wins this season. You showing his stats as a number 3 guy actually further strengthens the argument that Jacoby is better off keeping over Moss, because of the fact that he's such a dangerous punt/KO returner. Jacoby is liked in the locker room and is a team guy, he has zero attitude issues. Lets also not forget that Jacoby was barely used as a receiver when Cam was calling plays, then he became a much bigger part of the offense when Caldwell stepped in.

    Also where was Moss in the SB? Jacoby had two huge TDs in that game, while Moss pretty much did nothing.

    I think we should look at drafting a wide out early on this year, or maybe even signing a younger player, but Randy Moss isn't the answer.




  2. #50

    Re: Prediction Thread!!!: Who Stays? Who Goes? Who Arrives?

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    I really don't understand all the negativity on this board surrounding Moss. He basically said last year he was willing to show teams he could still play, and that's exactly what he did -- and for a very low entry fee.
    Many posters have taken what the media has told them, and combined it with Moss' sometimes immature attitude, and decided that he was a head case.

    There is the old' "I play when I wanna play" quote. When you actually research the context in which he was asked the question, you'll find that the question was whether or not playing with a veteran like Chris Carter motivates you to play. The fully quoted answer is Moss saying that he doesn't need Carter or the coach to motivate him. That he, essentially, comes ready to play. The media took it out of that context and ran with it.

    Now, there have been some bad moments. Walking into the locker room against Washington, before the game was over. The story about how disrespectful Moss was to a catering company that Matt Birk is familiar with.

    He actually wanted to come to Baltimore and said that Baltimore was at the top of his list. Minnesota could have sent him. They didn't.

    I did a thread on Moss a while back and provided quotes from some of the league's best and most respected coaches and players, citing the erroneous idea floating around that Moss cheats on routes. Larry Fitzgerald himself came out and said that people who say that don't understand how intelligent a player Moss is and how much film he studies. Other quotes cite how he sets up his routes by sometimes slowing up and giving the impression that the ball is not coming his way, only to speed up and get open deep.

    Heath Evans came out and talked about his experiences with Randy Moss, when Moss first arrived in New England. he talked about how everyone had this idea that Moss didn't train hard, because he's such a slim guy and so forth. Moss invited Evans and several other Patriots to come train with him in the off-season. Evans said that it was the most grueling workout regimen he'd ever been through, that some players couldn't even make it through the whole thing and that some actually didn't show up after that first day.

    The only former teammate or coach of Randy Moss that has ever put a negative word about him in print is Chris Carter, the guy that was jealous of Moss from the start and just as immaturely backstabbed him in the media time and time again.

    Carter came out and talked about the first time he practiced with Moss. Moss apparently showed up after Carter. Carter pulled him up and told him that nobody shows up after him (Carter). Carter himself even said that he didn't have any problems out of Moss after that. So, for Carter to say some of the things that he's said over the years has been questionable.

    The only other guy that I know of that came out and said something about Moss was Rice, who is the greatest WR of all time, so that was understandable.

    Every well run organization that Moss has been a part of, he's done well for. He did well early in Minnesota and he did well in New England, until it hit him that they weren't going to extend his contract. He's hardly the first player to ever voice his displeasure about not being able to stay with a quality organization.

    Moss would do just fine here, with this organization, QB and offense.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  3. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,236
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Prediction Thread!!!: Who Stays? Who Goes? Who Arrives?

    With all that said, we will still be opening Thursday night football up without Moss on the team.

    Don't care about his attitude, he just isn't a very good player anymore.




  4. #52

    Re: Prediction Thread!!!: Who Stays? Who Goes? Who Arrives?

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    With all that said, we will still be opening Thursday night football up without Moss on the team.

    Don't care about his attitude, he just isn't a very good player anymore.
    A respectable opinion, but we shall see Leach.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  5. #53

    Re: Prediction Thread!!!: Who Stays? Who Goes? Who Arrives?

    I see Joe Flacco throwing to Torrey Smith, Anquan Boldin and Randy Moss. Can you imagine the confidence in that meeting room?

    Who better to teach the most promising deep threat in the league, than the greatest deep threat of all time?

    I will also site one significant difference between Jones and Moss. I had to apologize to Jacoby Jones, because he had a much better season than I thought he would. However, Randy Moss is a far superior hand catcher. Can you remember any significant catches that Jones made where he really had to extend with his hands the way that Boldin has? Moss brings that element to the outside.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  6. #54

    Re: Prediction Thread!!!: Who Stays? Who Goes? Who Arrives?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Many posters have taken what the media has told them, and combined it with Moss' sometimes immature attitude, and decided that he was a head case.

    There is the old' "I play when I wanna play" quote. When you actually research the context in which he was asked the question, you'll find that the question was whether or not playing with a veteran like Chris Carter motivates you to play. The fully quoted answer is Moss saying that he doesn't need Carter or the coach to motivate him. That he, essentially, comes ready to play. The media took it out of that context and ran with it.

    Now, there have been some bad moments. Walking into the locker room against Washington, before the game was over. The story about how disrespectful Moss was to a catering company that Matt Birk is familiar with.

    He actually wanted to come to Baltimore and said that Baltimore was at the top of his list. Minnesota could have sent him. They didn't.

    I did a thread on Moss a while back and provided quotes from some of the league's best and most respected coaches and players, citing the erroneous idea floating around that Moss cheats on routes. Larry Fitzgerald himself came out and said that people who say that don't understand how intelligent a player Moss is and how much film he studies. Other quotes cite how he sets up his routes by sometimes slowing up and giving the impression that the ball is not coming his way, only to speed up and get open deep.

    Heath Evans came out and talked about his experiences with Randy Moss, when Moss first arrived in New England. he talked about how everyone had this idea that Moss didn't train hard, because he's such a slim guy and so forth. Moss invited Evans and several other Patriots to come train with him in the off-season. Evans said that it was the most grueling workout regimen he'd ever been through, that some players couldn't even make it through the whole thing and that some actually didn't show up after that first day.

    The only former teammate or coach of Randy Moss that has ever put a negative word about him in print is Chris Carter, the guy that was jealous of Moss from the start and just as immaturely backstabbed him in the media time and time again.

    Carter came out and talked about the first time he practiced with Moss. Moss apparently showed up after Carter. Carter pulled him up and told him that nobody shows up after him (Carter). Carter himself even said that he didn't have any problems out of Moss after that. So, for Carter to say some of the things that he's said over the years has been questionable.

    The only other guy that I know of that came out and said something about Moss was Rice, who is the greatest WR of all time, so that was understandable.

    Every well run organization that Moss has been a part of, he's done well for. He did well early in Minnesota and he did well in New England, until it hit him that they weren't going to extend his contract. He's hardly the first player to ever voice his displeasure about not being able to stay with a quality organization.

    Moss would do just fine here, with this organization, QB and offense.
    Great post.




  7. #55

    Re: Prediction Thread!!!: Who Stays? Who Goes? Who Arrives?

    Is Moss turning into Benjamin Button or some shit ---- why are we even talking about that old guy???

    We have a deep threat in Smith ---- I would take Jones or even Doss over him at this stage.




  8. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,294
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Prediction Thread!!!: Who Stays? Who Goes? Who Arrives?

    Why we would even want Moss over Jones is beyond me??
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"




  9. #57

    Re: Prediction Thread!!!: Who Stays? Who Goes? Who Arrives?

    Stays:
    Flacco
    Boldin (restructured)
    Reed
    A. Jones
    Ellerbe
    McKinnie

    Gone:
    Leach (cut)
    J. McClain (cut)
    C. Williams (signs elswhere)
    Kruger (signs elswhere)
    D. Reed
    Birk (cut)




  10. #58

    Re: Prediction Thread!!!: Who Stays? Who Goes? Who Arrives?

    Randy Moss can still be a legitimate deep threat. At this stage in his career, he is not at the level where he can elevate the game of a Daunte Culpepper, but he can be very successful with a quarterback like Joe Flacco.

    Moss is a more reliable pass catcher in tight coverage than Jacoby Jones. Moss is a more reliable hands catcher than Jacoby Jones. Moss is a better route runner than Jacoby Jones and is a better reader of defenses than Jacoby Jones. His veteran presence can directly impact a player in Torrey Smith, who is also known for being a vertical threat.

    I may be premature in saying this without looking it up, but Moss may also be less expensive than Jacoby Jones this upcoming season.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  11. #59

    Re: Prediction Thread!!!: Who Stays? Who Goes? Who Arrives?

    It is intriguing to witness how we view the aging veterans of other teams, compared to our own. We want to keep Ed Reed around even though he can't tackle and can't even catch half of the routine interceptions that come his way, but we want to keep him for his field awareness and the fear he still puts in opposing QBs.

    Well, does Randy Moss not still put fear in opposing CBs. Does he still not require safety help over the top? Does he not still have arguably the best hands in the league?

    When you have a player like Jacoby Jones, you have to hinge his success on how low an option he is, convincing yourself that you don't have to ask him to do much and that he can be successful under those circumstances. However, with a CB draped all over him and the game on the line, you are not going to him with full confidence.

    With Randy Moss, you want the ball in his direction, because there's no doubt it's going to be caught, in tight coverage or not.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  12. #60

    Re: Prediction Thread!!!: Who Stays? Who Goes? Who Arrives?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    It is intriguing to witness how we view the aging veterans of other teams, compared to our own. We want to keep Ed Reed around even though he can't tackle and can't even catch half of the routine interceptions that come his way, but we want to keep him for his field awareness and the fear he still puts in opposing QBs.

    Well, does Randy Moss not still put fear in opposing CBs. Does he still not require safety help over the top? Does he not still have arguably the best hands in the league?

    When you have a player like Jacoby Jones, you have to hinge his success on how low an option he is, convincing yourself that you don't have to ask him to do much and that he can be successful under those circumstances. However, with a CB draped all over him and the game on the line, you are not going to him with full confidence.

    With Randy Moss, you want the ball in his direction, because there's no doubt it's going to be caught, in tight coverage or not.
    You keep saying he is a great deep threat---- who is better RIGHT NOW --- Smith or Moss ?

    What role would he fill on our team when we Already have 2 great starting WR's and a good number 3 with a decent number 4 who most scouts think will be our number 2 in a year or two




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland