Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Turn Ravens Walk into LEGENDS LANE

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Interesting concept. I saw a lot of folks saying to put Rays statue on the south side but honestly I have never entered that side and likely never will. Ravens walk is the area everyone uses. Not sure of the logistics but it's a good idea overall
    Everyone? Really? I enter from the south side and I'm pretty sure thousands of others do too.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Does that mean that you don't use Ravens walk at all on gameday? Just a creature of habit I guess, that's the only way I've entered.
    For the most part yes. I haven't been over there in 2 years. I dropped some flowers off at Johnny U's statue Sep 11 a couple years ago. There are huge tailgate lots on the South and West sides.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

The Ravens Walk placement all aligned on either side would give it maximum impact effect for grandeur and impressiveness because they would be together and leading into Unitas plaza where rightfully Johnny stands alone. Scattering statues around the stadium would take away from that and might even make individual statues (like Ray's) vulnerable to vandalism. Walking down a lane lined with statues into the grand entrance of Unitas Plaza (to me) makes much more sense than arbitrarily scattering them around the outside of the stadium. "Together" it would be bigger and better and make for a nicer and cooler presentation...(and easier to protect)...just like the Orioles have done. As it is, whenever I go to a game, I go out of my way to rub Johnny's toe and see his statue. I'm sure others would do the same if they wanted to make seeing all the statues part of their game day experience but even having that as a game day experience isn't "necessary" for everyone. I think going to one area to enable seeing them all is a priority.

Speaking of the Orioles...when I hatched the idea I also envisioned the Orioles doing the same on their end of "the walk", of course then they put the statues inside where it's difficult to see them. Maybe if they do something to that park area someday like add seating there or something else they "might" consider hoping on board this "LEGENDS LANE" idea too. (and add John McGraw and Wee Willie Keeler, Hall Of Famers from the National League Orioles of the late 1890's)
    "Unitas was so outraged that he cut all ties to the relocated team. Other prominent old-time Colts followed his lead. After the NFL returned to Baltimore as the Ravens for the 1996 season, Unitas and most of the other old-time Colts regarded THE RAVENS as the TRUE SUCCESSORS of the Baltimore Colts!"

"I'll show you how to field a respected, competetive baseball team
    if you show me how to be a more effective dictator!
    "--Fidel Castro to Peter Angelos

Quote Originally Posted by Marchetti View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/4759...72298/?fref=ts

I have an idea about player statues I've been pushing for a couple of years now and that is to change Ravens Walk into LEGENDS LANE.
    Only Hall Of Famers qualify, past and present. Ray Lewis and Jonathan Ogden being the first two Ravens to be inducted into the HOF and also being the teams first two draft choices and the foundations in the early years of the franchise will get the first two places of honor.
    Great idea Gino. I'm all for it, but like all great proposals you have to consider the funding. To be honest with you, i'd rather save the money to memorialize real legends - that would be the future leaders we desperately need to renounce the corruption of special interests and figure out how to save our country by restoring it's economy and it's moral principles...

... Ok, so maybe I'm getting a little too deep here. :D

Seriously tho, if Mr. Bisciotti wants to commission a statue of Mr. Lewis (or the whole lot for that matter) I'm all for it. Just not out of public funds. I also think maybe we should wait a little while, or do it gradually. Winning a SB then creating a menagerie of statues looks a little pompous you know, and that's just not us.

Finally a little hair splitting on the details. ;) If you're going to include Ted Hendricks for the Baltimore Colts, i suppose you'd have to include Rod Woodson and Shannon Sharpe for the Baltimore Ravens. Maybe you put those guys names on a plaque as HOFers who played for Baltimore, but don't commission statues for them.

Either way, just like you i'm all for preserving Baltimore's football legacy. After all, there's alot of younger fans who hardly remember the Ravens first Superbowl, let alone the legends that were known as the Baltimore Colts.
    Last edited by Real Fan Dan; 02-13-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

thanx for your support and input. I'm sure there are differing opinions about just how to execute and I'm certain if LEGENDS LANE were to become a reality that all the details I've listed wouldn't necessarily be exact. If their number is in the ring of honor as a Hall Of Famer on that banner and their identity as a ball player is that of a Baltimore player then they get a statue. (reggie jackson sure ain't getting a statue at OPACY even if the O's had won a WS in '76 lol not that Rod or Shannon are in his category but I think you get the picture but on the other hand I wouldn't mind at all if Shannon and Rod did...that would be up to Steve B and the Ravens.)

The plaque idea is cool too.

Public money was never a consideration at all. Biscotti and maybe private donors.
    "Unitas was so outraged that he cut all ties to the relocated team. Other prominent old-time Colts followed his lead. After the NFL returned to Baltimore as the Ravens for the 1996 season, Unitas and most of the other old-time Colts regarded THE RAVENS as the TRUE SUCCESSORS of the Baltimore Colts!"

"I'll show you how to field a respected, competetive baseball team
    if you show me how to be a more effective dictator!
    "--Fidel Castro to Peter Angelos

The first thing we tell new comers to the stadium is to be sure to take in Ravens Walk.

I do, too. Ravens Walk is an attraction by itself. I tell visitors that they would be better off cruising Ravens Walk, with cheap sndwiches & beer & live bands, than crashing tailgate parties Unfortunately, most visitors I get do not use Lots B/C (sold to club and Suite ticket holders), and Lot A is sold out on a seasonal basis. So Ravens Walk takes an out-of-the-way hike

so if you guys never go there, you wouldn't see the statues ? (assuming this moves forward).
    I'd go over to Ravens Walk once or twice per season
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).