Joe Flacco's Progression (Rookie Year through 2012 and a Super Bowl victory)

Please note, the stats do include post-season performances for each year.
    The red is his career worst season in that category, the green is his career best season in that category.
    The X Axis of each graph represents the season of his career (e.g. 1 = Rookie Season / 2008, 2 = 2nd Second Season / 2009, etc.)

2008 (19 Games):
    Total: 290/503, 3408 Yards, 15 TD, 15 INT = 75.9 QB Rating
    179.4 Y/G, 57.7%, 6.78 Y/A, 33.5 A/TD, 33.5 A/INT

2009 (18 Games):
    Total: 339/544, 3836 Yards, 21 TD, 15 INT = 84.8 QB Rating
    213.1 Y/G, 62.3%, 7.05 Y/A, 25.9 A/TD, 36.3 A/INT

2010 (18 Games):
    Total: 347/553, 4012 Yards, 28 TD, 11 INT = 93.2 QB Rating
    222.9 Y/G, 62.7%, 7.25 Y/A, 19.8 A/TD, 50.3 A/INT

2011 (18 Games):
    Total: 348/605, 4092 Yards, 24 TD, 13 INT = 82.5 QB Rating
    227.3 Y/G, 57.5%, 6.76 Y/A, 25.2 A/TD, 46.5 A/INT

2012 (20 Games):
    Total: 390/657, 4957 Yards, 33 TD, 10 INT = 93.4 QB Rating
    247.9 Y/G, 59.4%, 7.54 Y/A, 19.9 A/TD, 65.7 A/INT

Passer Rating

Yards Per Game

Completion Percentage

Yards Per Attempt

Attempts Between Touchdowns

Attempts Between Interceptions

Last edited by callahan09; 02-12-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Re: Joe Flacco's Progression (Rookie Year through 2012 and a Super Bowl victory)

Two events jump out at me when I look at the charts.

1. The departure of Derrick Mason
    2. The arrival of Torrey Smith

Blog Entries

Re: Joe Flacco's Progression (Rookie Year through 2012 and a Super Bowl victory)

Should also be noted...2010 was the year that Jim Zorn was in Joe's ear. He had a career best completion % that year.

I always had the thought that with Jim Zorn here, Joe's progression was on track. Once they got rid of Zorn, his play sort've leveled off. Had Cam never been fired, I was under the impression we'd seen the ceiling of Flacco's play. Thankfully, once Caldwell was here, his play suddenly SPIKED. I'd like to see that kind of charting of just the 2012 season game by game. We know what it will look like, but having the graph makes it all that much more awesome.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The key to Flacco's play has and always will be the offensive line.
    Rookie year it was average, 2nd year a tad better but from there it was slowly declining each season until they finally made some tweaks before this years playoff run. For the playoff run "the dangling carrot" right in front of them was a factor, McKinney had a lot to prove. Would he (if he is still with us) go into the next season and play with the same quality as he showed at the end of this year taking into consideration what he had to prove after not playing? Doubtful considering his track record.

I've heard people saying that the o-line is now "set". To me that is a big mistake. We're always better off treating the o-line as not nearly good enough. We have questions at left tackle and at center and we need SOLID depth.
    "Unitas was so outraged that he cut all ties to the relocated team. Other prominent old-time Colts followed his lead. After the NFL returned to Baltimore as the Ravens for the 1996 season, Unitas and most of the other old-time Colts regarded THE RAVENS as the TRUE SUCCESSORS of the Baltimore Colts!"

"I'll show you how to field a respected, competetive baseball team
    if you show me how to be a more effective dictator!
    "--Fidel Castro to Peter Angelos

Blog Entries

the only way the OL is "set" is that we've got a LG to replace Grubbs in KO, and Yanda who should remain top notch for the next 3-4 years. Oher at RT is decent, but we could always look for competition. I have high hopes for Gino Gradkowski as our C of the future, but he has to prove it.

LT is FAR from set though, as McKinnie is a free agent. If you resign him, you MAY have a solid LT for a year or so. Definitely need to look for more OL help in the draft.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

The key to a lot of QB success is a good OL.

Tom Brady and Peyton wouldn't be where they are without playing behind some ridiculous OL's in their "hey-day".
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

7. Re: Joe Flacco's Progression (Rookie Year through 2012 and a Super Bowl victory)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The key to a lot of QB success is a good OL.

Tom Brady and Peyton wouldn't be where they are without playing behind some ridiculous OL's in their "hey-day".
    This, plus the quality of the receiving corps, and the play design/calls.

Brady was also just a "game manager" before Moss and Welker joined the Pats.
    And Manning had Harrison and then Wayne.
    That's 4 potential (probable) HoF'ers.

Brady and Peyton also have benefited from having 2 of the most creative and efficient offensive schemes in the league.

OTOH, There's no question Flacco has been hampered by Cam and the Ravens' inability to keep the same O-line/receiver corp intact for more than one season.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post

OTOH, There's no question Flacco has been hampered by Cam and the Ravens' inability to keep the same O-line/receiver corp intact for more than one season.
    Word to Gawd hon
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver