Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Aaron Wilson Sun Chat (long read)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,3561543.story

I don't venture over to the Sun for much but Aaron Wilson stills has some good info.

On Ellerbe

I do agree with you it will be very difficult to afford Ellerbe. League sources have emphasized to me that he's going to be in heavy demand as a free agent and could command at least twice what the Ravens paid Jameel McClain ($10.5 million over three years) last spring. It could get expensive and they'll have to make a tough choice with him.
    Boldin

As far as Anquan Boldin, I think they would love to keep him and will attempt to do so. They haven't reached out to the Boldin camp yet to discuss an extension that would be cap-friendly by converting his $6 million base salary into a bonus and adding years to the deal, but that's something that's not at all out of the realm of possibility
    Jimmy Smith's Play

I think Jimmy Smith had trouble moving well due to the scar tissue that needed to break up after the sports hernia surgery. Once he got deep into the playoffs, the AFC title game, he was moving well and reacting quickly to passes. I saw some potential in him in that game against the Patriots as they benched Chykie Brown and in the Super Bowl obviously. To me, he looks like he could be a starter down the road or at least a nickel back.
    Ed Reed

I'm told they sincerely have interest in keeping him, but it all hinges on the Joe Flacco talks. Nothing has been opened up yet between the Ravens and Ed Reed, who prefers to take this time to contemplate his future. He definitely still wants to play football and would prefer to stay with Baltimore, but remember he made $7.2 million this past season and won't want to take a paycut. With Ed Reed, nothing is ever uncomplicated. He'll want a raise or at least what he made last year even though his season wasn't up to his old gold standard. Still, he helped them win a Super Bowl. He won't lack for suitors if the Ravens can't afford him, most likely candidates: the Patriots and the Colts. I could see the Ravens letting Ed test the market and then trying to keep him if they have any cap space left over. I'm told this one isn't over by a long stretch. It would help the situation if Ed hired an agent, but he does have business advisors who consult with the NFL Players Association regarding contractual matters, so it's not like it's just him on his own with no counsel advising him.
    Practice Squad Potential

Carr's pass coverage and conditioning can still stand for improvement, but he's an aggressive hitter. Cornell is a smart player, tough, but not super athletic. McClain is a big body with potential. The Ravens are intrigued with the pass rushing potential of linebacker Adrian Hamilton, who was promoted to the active roster late in the year.
    Salary Cap Numbers

That's where they stand below the projected $121 million cap for 2013. So, when people say they're over, that's not technically correct. Will they be over if they don't cut players or sign Joe Flacco to a manageable salary-cap figure? Yes, that's correct.

With 49 contract commitments for 2013, including a $1.8 million in dead money for Billy Cundiff and not accounting for the $4.35 million the Ravens will save when Ray Lewis retires and not counting a franchise tag for Joe Flacco or a new deal or any restricted free agent tenders for Ed Dickson, Dennis Pitta and Arthur Jones or exclusive-rights tenders, here's the current precise salary-cap figure for 2013 right now, according to NFL Players Association Figures: $111,136,802.00.
    Jameel McClains health

I see him as a major question mark due to his neck/back after suffering a spinal cord contusion. Jameel told me during the Super Bowl that doctors have yet to clear him for contact. I would regard anything he gives the team this year as a bonus. It was a serious injury and there are never any guarantees when it comes to coming back from something like that. Jameel is serious about returning and has a great attitude. John Harbaugh said at the season-ending press conference that the team is upbeat about Jameel's health. That said, no one has come out and said he's medically cleared for contact. Until that happens and he takes or gives out a hit, we don't know enough about his status.
    Last edited by Justlovemybirds; 02-12-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: No Link

Re: Aaron Wilson Sun Chat (long read)

Draft Talk

Offensive tackles, inside linebackers, pass rushers, safeties
    Arthur Brown (Kansas State) and Kevin Minter (LSU) and Manti Te'o (Notre Dame) are a few inside linebackers to keep an eye on
    David Mims (recently signed)

I like David Mims. I think he has upside. I watched a few of his college games and have interviewed him a few times. David visited the Ravens before the NFL draft a few years ago and they are high on him. He's a huge guy at 6-8 and about 340 pounds. The Chiefs wanted him to come back, but he chose the Ravens. They've been interested in him for a few years now and it just didn't work out until now for him to join the roster. I think he's a very interesting developmental project.
    Jake Long

I know offensive line coach Andy Moeller would love to coach him again. He was Jake Long's position coach at Michigan and knows the quality of player and person he is. I think the Ravens would love to have him, but and it's a big but, I don't think they can afford Jake Long. Same goes for Branden Albert. I do think Jake has a good market in free agency. His play has slipped a tad, but he would be an upgrade over Bryant McKinnie obviously. I wouldn't get my hopes up that it happens.

This team will fill holes through the draft and value priced free agents, like they always do. People expecting them to keep Kruger, Ellerbe, and Reed or shell out a big contract to FA's like Jake Long just aren't dealing in reality. Right player, right price. Seems to have worked out pretty well for them so far.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    On Ellerbe...he's going to be in heavy demand as a free agent and could command at least twice what the Ravens paid Jameel McClain ($10.5 million over three years) last spring. It could get expensive...
    Jameel McClain's health

Certainly Ellerbe will command attention and money. My thought had been that they are already getting $4.3 million in cap relief I believe because of Ray's retirement. If they injury settle with McClain that helps some more I presume (not recalling what his bonus was last year and how much would escalate).

While the savings won't pay for Ellerbe entirely, it will have a positive net effect to offset what it will take to sign him. While Jameel may come back fine, it's hard to make a business decision to bank on him while letting Ellerbe walk and potentially ending up with three losses at ILB, with no one other than Bynes, Ayenbadjo and McClellan left from the current roster still in uniform or able to play for the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    This team will fill holes through the draft and value priced free agents, like they always do. People expecting them to keep Kruger, Ellerbe, and Reed or shell out a big contract to FA's like Jake Long just aren't dealing in reality. Right player, right price. Seems to have worked out pretty well for them so far.
    I certainly don't expect them to keep Kruger or sign anybody of Long's price, but I think they'll keep Reed and Ellerbe.

I mean, Ed might want 7.2 but so do I and I ain't getting it either. He's not getting anywhere near that here or elsewhere. When he figures that out, he'll come home.

Blog Entries

I have a feeling Reed's days in Baltimore are over. I hope I'm wrong though.

Whatever they do I hope they can retain Ellerbe and Reed without doing too much restructuring. Boldin is a good candidate for an extension. In my mind Kruger and Cary are as good as gone but we need to everything we can to keep Ellerbe and Reed.
    The draft needs to focus on Linebackers.

Blog Entries

im surprised to hear theres a large market for ellerbe. I didnt think hed sniff anywhere near what lofton got and more likely would be in that 4-5 range.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    im surprised to hear theres a large market for ellerbe. I didnt think hed sniff anywhere near what lofton got and more likely would be in that 4-5 range.
    I'm not surprised at all. Many teams often overvalue free agents from superbowl winning teams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I have a feeling Reed's days in Baltimore are over. I hope I'm wrong though.
    I've felt that way all year. This is Reed's last contract. He's going to try and get every dime. I really see some team with a lot of cap space deciding that Reed is going to help their young team. They're going to pay him more than we can.

Blog Entries

I just want Terrence Knighton and Kevin Minter, they could really help fix our front 7.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I've felt that way all year. This is Reed's last contract. He's going to try and get every dime. I really see some team with a lot of cap space deciding that Reed is going to help their young team. They're going to pay him more than we can.
    Did you notice on one of the Super Bowl replay shows (SFX?) there was a shot of Ray and Ed on the sideline as the lead was being cut into and Ed says to Ray something to the effect of "this is our last shot, our last ride."?

To me it sounded clear Ed was thinking he wouldn't be back in football with another shot at a ring. Although you could certainly believe he meant that the two of them wouldn't have another shot together. Or that Ed was just pessimistic that the Ravens would be back before he retired. Still, it made me think at the time I heard it, "oh, Ed already has his retirement mapped out."