Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1. Re: Is there ANYTHING Joe Flacco can do to convince the world he's a truly great player?

As has been pointed by others, Joe's never thrown for more than 25 TDs or 4000 yards, so with Ray Rice regarded as being the best player on the Ravens, and with the Ravens having a "vaunted" defense (which was only true in 2011**) Joe is seen as nothing more than a "game-manager" by many fans--especially ones who don't follow the Ravens every week.

A game manager who's been riding on the coattails of his great RB, Defense, O-line, WRs, coaches, team masseuses, etc.***
    It doesn't help that this is what fans of other teams constantly hear and read from not only other fans but also the "experts" on ESPN and NFLN.

And since it's always been the prevailing viewpoint, it must be true right?

So, what needs to happen is the "experts" need to do a complete 180 on Joe, which has already started because not only did Joe win the Super Bowl MVP, he matched Joe Montana's performance for most TDs with 0 INTs.
    And he did it by outplaying 2 HoF QBs in Brady and Manning, and 2 young prodigies in Luck and Kaepernick.

Once the "experts" stop parroting each other in proclaiming Joe to just be average, a lot of the fans will follow suit. Yes, people are that sheep-like.

So, basically if Joe puts up decent numbers under Caldwell and has another strong playoff performance, he'll finally get the respect he deserves****

**Since Joe's arrival, 2011 was the only year where our D was strong against the run, had an elite secondary, had a fierce pass-rush, forced a lot of turnovers and kept the penalties at a reasonable level. In his other 5 years here, either the pass rush was lacking, secondary was weak, too many stupid penalties, and/or only average number of turnovers.

*** I've heard and read this a lot from fans of other teams about our team, especially after the Super Bowl win--I think some of these people aren't even aware that Cameron was fired and replaced by Caldwell, or that the O-line in the Super Bowl was very different then what it's been since 2010 or even most of 2012, or that Boldin hasn't been lined up in the slot for most of his time here.

****There will always be some trolls and haters though.

Re: Is there ANYTHING Joe Flacco can do to convince the world he's a truly great player?

IMO, if Flacco started putting up 4,500 yards 35 TD regular seasons, people would probably take notice. I think that some commentators just don't really buy into the "he's great because his team wins" argument. Remember that after Eli Manning won the Super Bowl, people still didn't buy into him, it wasn't until he put up a lot of yards and TD's that he started getting love. It might be hard to remember, but Tom Brady was even called a "game manager" until he started putting up big yardage and TD's in the regular season even after he'd won 3 Super Bowls.

The pisser is that if Flacco played the last regular season game against the Bengals, he would have gone over 4,000. He was less than 200 yards away.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Re: Is there ANYTHING Joe Flacco can do to convince the world he's a truly great player?

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    The pisser is that if Flacco played the last regular season game against the Bengals, he would have gone over 4,000. He was less than 200 yards away.

Probably.

Including the playoffs and SB he came close to 5,000 yards.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

iggyman555 Guest

flacco needs a solid line like most other qbs and hell be aight

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    As has been pointed by others, Joe's never thrown for more than 25 TDs or 4000 yards, so with Ray Rice regarded as being the best player on the Ravens, and with the Ravens having a "vaunted" defense (which was only true in 2011**) Joe is seen as nothing more than a "game-manager" by many fans--especially ones who don't follow the Ravens every week.

A game manager who's been riding on the coattails of his great RB, Defense, O-line, WRs, coaches, team masseuses, etc.***
    It doesn't help that this is what fans of other teams constantly hear and read from not only other fans but also the "experts" on ESPN and NFLN.

And since it's always been the prevailing viewpoint, it must be true right?

So, what needs to happen is the "experts" need to do a complete 180 on Joe, which has already started because not only did Joe win the Super Bowl MVP, he matched Joe Montana's performance for most TDs with 0 INTs.
    And he did it by outplaying 2 HoF QBs in Brady and Manning, and 2 young prodigies in Luck and Kaepernick.

Once the "experts" stop parroting each other in proclaiming Joe to just be average, a lot of the fans will follow suit. Yes, people are that sheep-like.

So, basically if Joe puts up decent numbers under Caldwell and has another strong playoff performance, he'll finally get the respect he deserves****

**Since Joe's arrival, 2011 was the only year where our D was strong against the run, had an elite secondary, had a fierce pass-rush, forced a lot of turnovers and kept the penalties at a reasonable level. In his other 5 years here, either the pass rush was lacking, secondary was weak, too many stupid penalties, and/or only average number of turnovers.

*** I've heard and read this a lot from fans of other teams about our team, especially after the Super Bowl win--I think some of these people aren't even aware that Cameron was fired and replaced by Caldwell, or that the O-line in the Super Bowl was very different then what it's been since 2010 or even most of 2012, or that Boldin hasn't been lined up in the slot for most of his time here.

****There will always be some trolls and haters though.
    Seriously doubt if Flacco cares at all in convincing anybody of what he already knows. When he goes to the postseason this year and wins some game,maybe all again, he will have an NFL record not to be broken for a while. Flacco does his talking on the field and with his win record. Screw 4000 yards and TDs, winning the game is the only important stat for getting to the postseason(what all NFL teams should be trying for). There were some great Qbs who didn't make postseason or were one and done. At the end of Flaccos career, most experts will see what Flacco accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post

He migth also have been that more expensive, if he also have had all those top ten regular season stats.

After 2000 we did not resign Dilfer.. and for not so long ago some people was still bitter over that fact, I cant imagine the emotions if we are not resigning Joe Cool. And two picks, Alex Smith, resigning Ellerbe, Reed and Kruger will not make be feel any better.

They will resign Joe.

I have no problem with Peter King, only he is wrong this time.