Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Is there ANYTHING Joe Flacco can do to convince the world he's a truly great player?

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I flipped on 105.7 yesterday on my way home from work (dumb move I know). The first thing I hear is some idiot caller saying to sign Flacco to a deal (only smart comment he made), but then he wanted to sit Flacco on obvious run downs and have another QB who just came in the game for run plays. Then, bring Flacco in for passes. It was quite possibly the dumbest thing I've heard.

Probably some f**ktard that has never played ball outside of Madden and backyard.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

"The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Re: Is there ANYTHING Joe Flacco can do to convince the world he's a truly great player?

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Haven't read the entire thread but the payroll challenge that we have going forward is not about Flacco and what he might get, it's about Suggs and Ngata and what they are getting. We can wash 2012 for Suggs but not Ngata. Not matter the history though we need to get better value from those two contracts/players.
    This is something that can be changed though. Both of those guys are, essentially, in the middle of their current deals. Extend the current deals for a year or two, knock down their cap numbers for this year and (hopefully) next year, and then look at Boldin for an extension.

Also...I'm not positive, but don't they have till like June or something to get under the cap?

First thing's first, sign Flacco.

See where they're at cap-wise.

Identify who else they "need" to re-sign (Ellerbe, Kruger, McKinnie, Ed, etc).

Tender their RFA's.

Identify possible cuts (BA, Leach, etc).

Re-work the deals of Jacoby, Suggs, Ngata, and Boldin.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Haven't read the entire thread but the payroll challenge that we have going forward is not about Flacco and what he might get, it's about Suggs and Ngata and what they are getting. We can wash 2012 for Suggs but not Ngata. Not matter the history though we need to get better value from those two contracts/players.

Joe is young and he has performed. Out-performed in the POs since NE 2011. Like Ex essentially said above, pay the man and keep it moving.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    This is something that can be changed though. Both of those guys are, essentially, in the middle of their current deals. Extend the current deals for a year or two, knock down their cap numbers for this year and (hopefully) next year, and then look at Boldin for an extension.
    I agree. That's pretty much what I'm saying... with the clarity of a pre 8am post :(
    The FO is going to look and deal with at each contract independently. Handle Joe first. Deal with the outliers separately...later.

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Joe could become Pope (I hear there is an opening) and as Pope he could propel the Ravens through blessings and appointing saints. And maybe an ascension at the Super Bowl this time. Has anyone seen Ray since the SuperBowl?
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Blog Entries

This debate is pretty sterile. Flacco is not going ANYWHERE. Neither he nor the Ravens want to part ways. They would be crazy to. A deal is going to be reached and it will not be too difficult.

As far as the original query, I think if Flacco throws 30+ touchdowns, 4500+ yards and takes the Ravens once again next season into the playoffs that the "not elite" question will go away.

As to the question of mortgaging the future for one player, I agree it's foolhardy, but you just cannot lose a franchise QB. They are too hard to find. Miami is still looking for the next Marino, Cower was an ordinary coach when he had Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart; as soon as he got Ben, he became a "genius" coach. In this NFL especially, the QB is the most important player by far if a team wants sustained trips to the playoffs.

In the end, I trust the Ravens will be able to retain Flacco and not cripple the organization in the process. I think they know what they're doing.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…

"We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr OC View Post
    As far as the original query, I think if Flacco throws 30+ touchdowns, 4500+ yards and takes the Ravens once again next season into the playoffs that the "not elite" question will go away.

As to the question of mortgaging the future for one player, I agree it's foolhardy, but you just cannot lose a franchise QB. They are too hard to find. Miami is still looking for the next Marino, Cower was an ordinary coach when he had Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart; as soon as he got Ben, he became a "genius" coach. In this NFL especially, the QB is the most important player by far if a team wants sustained trips to the playoffs.

In the end, I trust the Ravens will be able to retain Flacco and not cripple the organization in the process. I think they know what they're doing.
    He really needs to exceed the 30 TD mark. Big Jen did that once to go with his Super Bowl win and everyone declared him elite. The only thing that Joe has not done is had a big regular season. If they open the offense up he will get there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    He really needs to exceed the 30 TD mark. Big Jen did that once to go with his Super Bowl win and everyone declared him elite. The only thing that Joe has not done is had a big regular season. If they open the offense up he will get there.
    The issue was Cam was holding Flacco and the offense back. I think Joe could easily have a 30 td season this year. He threw for 15 tds and 1 int after Caldwell took over.

In 4 playoff games, without Cam and against the best teams in the league, he threw for 11 TD's. Spread that over a season, and you have 44 TD's. Joe is a new QB without Cam, just like Brees and Rivers were.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    In 4 playoff games, without Cam and against the best teams in the league, he threw for 11 TD's. Spread that over a season, and you have 44 TD's. Joe is a new QB without Cam, just like Brees and Rivers were.
    I don't think that can be understated. Joe did it in the playoffs with the most pressure against the best teams. Without the cam-cuffs, Flacco has flourished and it's no coincidence.