Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is there ANYTHING Joe Flacco can do to convince the world he's a truly great player?

Joe Flacco just had the best playoff run any QB has had since at least Joe Montana's 1989 and possibly of all time. He is coming off a Super Bowl championship and Super Bowl MVP at the ripe age of 28, the prime of most quarterback's careers.

And yet all around Baltimore, there is a significant portion of the fanbase that is clamoring for the Ravens to not re-sign Joe Flacco, or to only re-sign him if he comes way down from his asking price. A number of posters on this board are openly questioning his desire to win by saying that if he holds firm on his contract demands, he is "forcing" the FO to downgrade the team around him, thus hurting their chance of winning.

Those people conclude that Flacco should take a hometown discount to "stay in Baltimore and win games" instead of going to a place like Cleveland where they assume he won't win as much (ignoring the fact that he could easily carry a win differential of 5 or 6 games from Baltimore to Cleveland, more than enough to knock the former far out of the playoffs and the latter into the playoffs.) "If he won't do that, maybe we're better off without him," they say. Nobody said this to Haloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, or Ray Rice, who together consume a cool 25% of the team's salary cap in 2013--a percentage it is unlikely Flacco's projected annual cap hit would ever even approach.

The national media has now picked up on this and the prevailing sentiment of the "football wonks" seems to be that maybe the Ravens should just go and put the non-exclusive franchise tag on Flacco, let another team sign him, and take their 2 first round picks to maybe get an Alex Smith, Matt Flynn, or... whoever... and go on their merry way. My jaw is on the floor that this is even a concept rational minds entertain.

So my question is... what will it take to convince people that Flacco belongs on this team? What will it take for the fanbase and national media to completely buy into Joe Flacco as the Ravens' most important player, a player worthy of being paid like the best at his position? (Keeping in mind that Ozzie in his career signed contracts that made Haloti Ngata the game's highest-paid DT, Terrell Suggs the game's highest-paid DE, Ray Lewis the game's highest-paid ILB, Ed Reed the game's highest-paid FS, etc...)

Is there even anything that can do that? The best or 2nd best playoff run of all time couldn't do it. I suspect a 4,000 yard, 30 TD season wouldn't, not in a time when 5,000 yard, 40 TD seasons are no longer eye-popping. I suspect another championship wouldn't. So what would? Is there any event or series of events that could possibly happen that would convince the world that Joe Flacco is a truly great player?

I think you're confusing two issues.

Just because some fans don't want to sign a QB to such a deal that would handcuff the team for years to come doesn't mean they don't want to keep Joe.

Let's say Joe says he wants $22 Million a year and won't budge. I'd fly to Bmore and pack his bags for him. Not because I think he's a bad QB, but because such a deal would cash strap the team to mediocrity.

Blog Entries

Re: Is there ANYTHING Joe Flacco can do to convince the world he's a truly great player?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Just because some fans don't want to sign a QB to such a deal that would handcuff the team for years to come doesn't mean they don't want to keep Joe.

Let's say Joe says he wants $22 Million a year and won't budge. I'd fly to Bmore and pack his bags for him. Not because I think he's a bad QB, but because such a deal would cash strap the team to mediocrity.
    curious but did you have the same thoughts about Ray Rice and his contract demands of being top 5 or "more than Peterson"?
    -JAB

Re: Is there ANYTHING Joe Flacco can do to convince the world he's a truly great player?

Even though there is a real chance that could happen, it is a chance you have to take. At the end of the day a disapointing season or two is not the end of the world. Oz is always worried about repeating the 2001 cap purge, but for what? Who did we lose off that team that turned out to be a major loss? There was a down year that was still competitive, and then we had a good young team to build around again. They made the mistake of picking the wrong QB to draft and develop, but McNair proved that the rest of the roster was ready to compete for a ring. So the window really never closed, we had one bad year and then an inconsistant era with a bad QB. There was never any real salary cap hell. We just had to let some vets go maybe a year or two before they were washed up.

:T2:

Blog Entries

"Is there ANYTHING Joe Flacco can do to convince the world he's a truly great player?"

Yes. Put up great fantasy football stats so ESPN will start saying he's a good QB and the useful idiots (aka viewers) will change their mind.

Let's face it, their are far more casual fans and fantasy football fans than there are people like us who watch games with mindset of looking for more than big stats. ESPN and others are just marketing to the idiots who tune in to find out who they should play.

I just did a playoff fantasy football league. Out of 40 teams, I was the only one to pick Flacco. Know who the highest scoring player in the league was? IF you guessed Joe Flacco, you're a winner, just like Flacco.

If people don't think he's a good QB, FUCK EM. He just led the offense of a Superbowl winning team. I am good for a few years.

Blog Entries

I don't even think Joe Montana in his prime is worth more than 20 million a year. I'm with Houstonraven on this one. I think the Saints may start badly suffering from this too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I don't even think Joe Montana in his prime is worth more than 20 million a year. I'm with Houstonraven on this one. I think the Saints may start badly suffering from this too.
    The Saints are suffering starting this season. They have some huge decisions to make to get under the cap this year. Unless we see significant cap increases 3 years from now we're going to have the same problems. That's the way it is with QBs in the NFL. Even the recent deal that Matt Schaub signed was crazy expensive. Teams need to learn how to deal with this because since they changed the rules no team without a stud at QB has won the Super Bowl.

e.

You're operating under the assumption that paying $22 million a year will drive this team into mediocrity, which I don't see as the case. I see not paying him and having to go in 2013 with a Ryan Fitzpatrick/Alex Smith/rookie as far more likely to push in that direction. This 2013 team is already shaping up to be offense-driven. Expecting our defense to be the dominating type of the past---one that could still produce great results even with an Alex Smith type QB---is unrealistic given the imminent turnover on D.

Blog Entries

It's clear to me that people just hate on Flacco for no apparent reason. I had an argument before the Denver game in my office about Flacco. I stated that he's a clutch QB and just wins while citing all his playoff stats from the past 2 years. People basically laughed at me. Then, Flacco goes on this historic record breaking playoff run culminating with a SB MVP trophy. I don't get what Flacco has to do to prove that he's a really good QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    It's clear to me that people just hate on Flacco for no apparent reason. I had an argument before the Denver game in my office about Flacco. I stated that he's a clutch QB and just wins while citing all his playoff stats from the past 2 years. People basically laughed at me. Then, Flacco goes on this historic record breaking playoff run culminating with a SB MVP trophy. I don't get what Flacco has to do to prove that he's a really good QB.
    I get the impression that Joe could throw 40 TD's on 20 attempts and some people on this board and around town would want Troy Smith or Tyrod Taylor to be the starter.

This is my issue as well. We have been neglecting the offensive line, wide receivers, and skill position players as we've paid the defenders top dollar. Flacco has made chicken soup out of chicken shit for too long. He deserves what he can get. In 17 years, he is the only QB to be considered even average. Yet as great as he is, he's still questioned by media and fans. Unreal.

People just assume that if you don't throw for 5000 yards and 35+ touchdowns you aren't a good quarterback. Plain and simple.