Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

I watch a lot of Packers games, and what I notice a lot about Rodgers is two things:

He rolls out and steps up in the pocket, buys some time to get rid of the football.

And when he throws the football, his receiver is often WIDE open.

Now, two things about Joe:

He is clearly adept at rolling out, stepping up in the pocket, shrugging off defenders, and buying some time to get rid of the football. If you pay attention, it was Cam Cameron and his coaching instruction that basically asked Flacco to stand put until a receiver got open. When Flacco plays his way, and Caldwell is obviously honing Flacco's natural abilities rather than limiting them and trying to shape him into what he wants to see (opposite of Cam Cameron's coaching style), you can see that has been doing a great job of this. Our offensive line wasn't even that much better in the post-season if you ask me. He still had guys chasing after him practically all the time. The difference was in his motion and his poise which enabled him to be more elusive, buy time, and throw on the move, and complete plays that way. Flacco made his O line look better than they were by refusing to get hit when he had any control whatsoever in the situation.

And two, he almost NEVER throws the football to a wide open receiver. Flacco has had to deal with throwing into tight windows all his career.

I truly believe that Flacco has had one of the most difficult systems and coaches to succeed under in his time in the NFL so far. But Caldwell will help relieve that situation.

Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    I watch a lot of Packers games, and what I notice a lot about Rodgers is two things:

He rolls out and steps up in the pocket, buys some time to get rid of the football.

And when he throws the football, his receiver is often WIDE open.

Now, two things about Joe:

He is clearly adept at rolling out, stepping up in the pocket, shrugging off defenders, and buying some time to get rid of the football. If you pay attention, it was Cam Cameron and his coaching instruction that basically asked Flacco to stand put until a receiver got open. When Flacco plays his way, and Caldwell is obviously honing Flacco's natural abilities rather than limiting them and trying to shape him into what he wants to see (opposite of Cam Cameron's coaching style), you can see that has been doing a great job of this. Our offensive line wasn't even that much better in the post-season if you ask me. He still had guys chasing after him practically all the time. The difference was in his motion and his poise which enabled him to be more elusive, buy time, and throw on the move, and complete plays that way. Flacco made his O line look better than they were by refusing to get hit when he had any control whatsoever in the situation.

And two, he almost NEVER throws the football to a wide open receiver. Flacco has had to deal with throwing into tight windows all his career.

I truly believe that Flacco has had one of the most difficult systems and coaches to succeed under in his time in the NFL so far. But Caldwell will help relieve that situation.
    This is what Cosell has more or less said. The system does not have any easy QB throws and requires more throws over 20 yards than any other offense. If Caldwell revamps the offense with Joe as the focal point he could see his stats go up significantly.