Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 106
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Scaggsville, MD
    Posts
    1,057

    Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?



    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I rank Flacco ahead of the pack because he has demonstrated that he is a money ballplayer and is just coming into his prime. The only stat which I care about is the playoff "W" and the QB's age. Brady has a better playoff record, but is pushing 36. Peyton Manning (37) has a poor playoff record and has a noodle arm - don't be too surprised if Peyton doesn't come back. Eli Manning (age 32) & Ben R (age 31) have slightly better playoff records. Phillip Rivers (32), Drew Brees (34) and Aaron Rodgers (29) have so-so playoff records.

    looking out 5 years, with most weight given to age and playoff performance, I would rank them:

    (1) Flacco
    (2) Rodgers
    (3) Eli Manning
    It's hard to make predictions over a five-year timeframe, but ranking anyone ahead of Aaron Rodgers for that stretch would be foolish, based on current accomplishments. Rodgers also has a Super Bowl ring, won with a sixth-seeded team that had to overcome numerous injuries, and his annual statistics are also stellar. I can see an argument for Flacco as second on the list based on his playoff success, but Eli Manning has a strong case there as well, with two titles to Flacco's one. Drew Brees is probably still young enough that over a five-year timeframe he should also rank ahead of Flacco, even if you can use the timeframe to throw out Brady and Peyton because they will be retired or at least in serious decline before those five years are up.

    Matt Ryan, in spite of his playoff struggles, would also be pretty high on the list, and in the next five years the younger phenoms will also have plenty of chances to prove themselves. The truth is, Flacco just needs to continue to prove it if he wants to solidify his place in the eyes of anyone who's not a Ravens fan. The championship puts him in the discussion. But he's still viewed as streaky and inconsistent. Give him the big contract and another year with Caldwell and the current offensive weapons, without such a star-studded defensive cast, and see if he can put up the numbers that match what our eyes are telling us.

    If he plays during the next regular season like he did in the playoffs, he'll post 4000 yards and 30 scores, easy. And for the first time we might need him to!




  2. #77

    Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

    I haven't read every post in this thread but did someone try to make a serious argument that Flacco is a better QB than Rodgers? Because that would be literally insane. If Rodgers had been playing in Baltimore the past five years, this team would have two or three Super Bowl wins. At least.

    - C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

    www.oblongspheroid.com

    A blog about any and everything football.

    Twitter: oblong_spheroid




  3. #78
    So Aaron Rodgers would have made Lee Evans hold onto that ball or Cundiff make that kick last year?

    Flacco SHOULD have back to back rings.

    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2




  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit Michigan
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    So Aaron Rodgers would have made Lee Evans hold onto that ball or Cundiff make that kick last year?

    Flacco SHOULD have back to back rings.

    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Specious. That assumes the game is identical with Rodgers in. It would not have been, that's the entire point.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

    –Eleanor Roosevelt




  5. #80

    Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    So Aaron Rodgers would have made Lee Evans hold onto that ball or Cundiff make that kick last year?
    Rodgers wouldn't have needed a last second drive. With the way the team played, he'd have absolutely killed that team. And virtually every other team.

    - C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

    www.oblongspheroid.com

    A blog about any and everything football.

    Twitter: oblong_spheroid




  6. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,127
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

    Last 3 years in the playoffs:

    Rodgers: 14 tds 4 ints 270 yards/game 100 QB rating
    Flacco: 18 tds 2 ints 251 yards/game 105 QB rating

    Both have a SB win and SB MVP. They are very close in the playoffs in the last 3 years.




  7. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

    Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I haven't read every post in this thread but did someone try to make a serious argument that Flacco is a better QB than Rodgers? Because that would be literally insane. If Rodgers had been playing in Baltimore the past five years, this team would have two or three Super Bowl wins. At least.
    I don't think Flacco is a better QB than Rodgers, but that's an unsupportable argument. There's no way of knowing how Rodgers would have done here. It's quite possible that Rodgers, with Cameron running the offense, would have had roughly a similar career path as Flacco. He's more mobile, but that's meaningless when the offensive schema calls for the QB to stand in the pocket and wait for receivers to get open downfield. Rodgers wouldn't have been in a modified West Coast offense, he would have been in a Cam Coryell.




  8. #83

    Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    You sir/ma'am have succeeded in stunning me in disbelief.
    Literally stunning me, I can actually feel the sensation in my head.
    It's a bit unpleasant, in fact.
    Fortunately, I can't retaliate because I help mod here. Suffice it say that that was a dumbass statement. If my opinion is "a bit unpleasant" because it does not jibe with yours, you may want to try a different hobby than message boards.

    =================================================================================


    Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I haven't read every post in this thread but did someone try to make a serious argument that Flacco is a better QB than Rodgers? Because that would be literally insane. If Rodgers had been playing in Baltimore the past five years, this team would have two or three Super Bowl wins. At least.- C -
    If you had bothered to read what I stated: my premise was youth and playoff performance are the most important factors in assessing the NFL's QBs. Flacco's performance in this regard make him, to me, the top QB in the league. Rodgers is no slouch, almost as young as Flacco. He also has a good playoff record at 5-2. One could make a case for either. I'll take Flacco, but I am not knocking Rodgers.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




  9. #84

    Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    If you had bothered to read what I stated: my premise was youth and playoff performance are the most important factors in assessing the NFL's QBs. Flacco's performance in this regard make him, to me, the top QB in the league. Rodgers is no slouch, almost as young as Flacco. He also has a good playoff record at 5-2. One could make a case for either. I'll take Flacco, but I am not knocking Rodgers.
    I didn't, but Rodgers has still been great in the playoffs and has a worse team around him, and isn't that much older than Flacco and has the same mileage as Flacco does. Sorry Ted, you may like Flacco more, but he's not better than Rodgers, and there is really no one that isn't a Ravens fan who would take more than a second answering Rodgers if you gave them a choice between the two.

    - C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

    www.oblongspheroid.com

    A blog about any and everything football.

    Twitter: oblong_spheroid




  10. #85

    Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

    Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I didn't, but Rodgers has still been great in the playoffs and has a worse team around him, and isn't that much older than Flacco and has the same mileage as Flacco does. Sorry Ted, you may like Flacco more, but he's not better than Rodgers, and there is really no one that isn't a Ravens fan who would take more than a second answering Rodgers if you gave them a choice between the two.

    - C -
    I wouldn't say the Packers were a worse team at all. And there is nothing taking away from Rodgers here. But let's be realistic here. Rodgers and Flacco have the same amount of rings, and Flacco did it faster and under more difficult circumstances. I appreciate the numbers Rodgers put up, but his offense at least until Cam left was far and away better overall than ours. And he got to sit behind a HOF QB for 3 years before even having to deal with a regular season.

    If you asked me which one I would take, I would flip a coin and be happy with either.




  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

    The Packers are absolute dogshit on defense, and have a pretty bad Oline, and a very good depth of WRs (albeit slightly overrated IMO). I'd say the Ravens fully healthy team is more talented than GB, Rogers is still the best in NFL IMO.

    With that said, lets not take anything away from what Flacco did either, he was awesome.




  12. #87

    Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    I wouldn't say the Packers were a worse team at all. And there is nothing taking away from Rodgers here. But let's be realistic here. Rodgers and Flacco have the same amount of rings, and Flacco did it faster and under more difficult circumstances. I appreciate the numbers Rodgers put up, but his offense at least until Cam left was far and away better overall than ours. And he got to sit behind a HOF QB for 3 years before even having to deal with a regular season.
    DUDE!

    Both QBs have five years as the primary starter. No, Joe did not do it faster. And the reason Rodgers' offense was "far and away better than" the Ravens offense is because of Rodgers!!! Match talent-for-talent:
    The GB OL is better than ours when fully healthy, but has dealt with far more injuries. It's an upgrade, but not a huge one.
    Their WRs/TEs are mostly a downgrade from ours. Jennings is very good. But Rodgers has been doing exactly what Peyton Manning did for years...take whatever Joe Schlub they plugged in, and made him look great. The one argument here is that the Ravens mostly haven't had a good #2 WR here which can compare. But the Ravens TEs have across-the-board been better.
    Their RBs are significantly worse than the Ravens backs have been.

    The Packer had a terrific defense in '09 and '10. They won the Super Bowl with one of those two defenses. Other than those two years, their defenses haven't been in the top ten. Of course no one can make a case that Rodgers would in fact have won one or more SBs in Baltimore over the last five years. But the talent the Ravens have had as a whole across the 21 O/D positions beyond QB is unquestionably better than what the Packers have had over the last five years. There's no question in my mind Rodgers would have nothing less than one ring if he was a Raven, and I honestly believe that with the defenses the Ravens had in '08, '09 and '11, and with how far they went in the playoffs those years with Flacco (who in '08 and '09 was not good in the playoffs...no games over 57% passing, 189 his highest yardage total and a 1:6 TD:INT ratio those years), he'd have two or three rings by now.

    FWIW, I also think he wouldn't likely have won a SB this year on the Ravens. What Flacco did this post-season was flat incredible. It's not getting enough accolades, honestly. If one of the current crop of big-time QBs did what Flacco did, it would be talked about as going down as one of the two greatest post-season performances in the history of the game without question.

    - C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

    www.oblongspheroid.com

    A blog about any and everything football.

    Twitter: oblong_spheroid




  13. #88
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,127
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Last 3 years in the playoffs:

    Rodgers: 14 tds 4 ints 270 yards/game 100 QB rating
    Flacco: 18 tds 2 ints 251 yards/game 105 QB rating

    Both have a SB win and SB MVP. They are very close in the playoffs in the last 3 years.
    ahem




  14. #89

    Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

    Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    DUDE!

    Both QBs have five years as the primary starter. No, Joe did not do it faster. And the reason Rodgers' offense was "far and away better than" the Ravens offense is because of Rodgers!!! Match talent-for-talent:
    The GB OL is better than ours when fully healthy, but has dealt with far more injuries. It's an upgrade, but not a huge one.
    Their WRs/TEs are mostly a downgrade from ours. Jennings is very good. But Rodgers has been doing exactly what Peyton Manning did for years...take whatever Joe Schlub they plugged in, and made him look great. The one argument here is that the Ravens mostly haven't had a good #2 WR here which can compare. But the Ravens TEs have across-the-board been better.
    Their RBs are significantly worse than the Ravens backs have been.

    The Packer had a terrific defense in '09 and '10. They won the Super Bowl with one of those two defenses. Other than those two years, their defenses haven't been in the top ten. Of course no one can make a case that Rodgers would in fact have won one or more SBs in Baltimore over the last five years. But the talent the Ravens have had as a whole across the 21 O/D positions beyond QB is unquestionably better than what the Packers have had over the last five years. There's no question in my mind Rodgers would have nothing less than one ring if he was a Raven, and I honestly believe that with the defenses the Ravens had in '08, '09 and '11, and with how far they went in the playoffs those years with Flacco (who in '08 and '09 was not good in the playoffs...no games over 57% passing, 189 his highest yardage total and a 1:6 TD:INT ratio those years), he'd have two or three rings by now.

    FWIW, I also think he wouldn't likely have won a SB this year on the Ravens. What Flacco did this post-season was flat incredible. It's not getting enough accolades, honestly. If one of the current crop of big-time QBs did what Flacco did, it would be talked about as going down as one of the two greatest post-season performances in the history of the game without question.

    - C -
    I completely agree with this. In that I believe Rodgers > Flacco. But at the same time, Joe's 2012/2013 post-season is probably top 3 or top 5 ever.
    Self appointed Ravens SuperFan in the southern hemisphere/New Zealand.




  15. #90

    Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Fortunately, I can't retaliate because I help mod here. Suffice it say that that was a dumbass statement. If my opinion is "a bit unpleasant" because it does not jibe with yours, you may want to try a different hobby than message boards.
    I didn't say your opinion is "a bit unpleasant", if I'd done that, that would've been a dumbass statement on my part.

    What I said was that your claim that any intelligent football fan would look at Unitas' stats and think "Pfftt, what's the big deal with this Unitas guy, his stats aren't all that great." left me so flabbergasted that I started to feel a headache coming on (which is a slightly unpleasant sensation).

    I mean you're a mod here and a longtime Baltimore football fan--so how could you say that about Johnny U?
    Use some other QB for your argument like Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw or John Elway.

    Because Johnny U? As an example of a great QB with "average" stats?
    That might be the worst possible choice you could go with.

    Especially since here in Baltimore that's almost sacrilegious: like saying Ray Lewis doesn't belong in the HoF because he didn't sack the QB enough.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland