Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Ed Reed ~~ Stay or Go? (Merged)

I know this will be blasphemy to many of you. I hate having to say it myself. Ed Reed has long been one of my favorite Ravens. I have his jersey. He's going to Canton five years after he retires. He's one of the three best free safeties in NFL history by anyone's reckoning.

But if the Ravens bring him back, they will be making a mistake.

I could make a fine case for Ed Reed. I could start off talking about how Brady and Manning avoided the middle of the field because of the risk that Reed would make them look foolish. I could continue by talking about how his quiet leadership is a great example to the younger defensive backs, that he's been able to help keep a defense loaded with talent and personality from coming off the rails at times. I could even tell you how we've got nothing worthwhile behind him and we'll suffer if we let him walk... especially to a rival like the Pats.

But none of that would be enough.

Ed Reed is going to cost us significant money to re-sign. Probably not the $7m he got last season, but he's at the end stage of his career. He doesn't need or want long-term security or contract numbers he won't actually see. He wants to get paid now, while he still can. And he wants to linger long enough to set or approach the all-time interceptions record. I hope he gets there, in some other uniform.

Ed Reed isn't going to cost us money, Ed Reed is going to cost us players. Maybe it's Boldin, maybe Jacoby, maybe Leach, maybe Ellerbe, maybe McKinnie or some free agent left tackle. I don't know how it's all going to play out. But rest assured that if we pony up even $3-5m for the next few years to keep him in purple, some important younger piece of the puzzle is going to be sent elsewhere.

And we've all seen what no one really wants to admit. Ed Reed at 34 is a step slower. He's not quite able to close and make plays like he used to. He can't be isolated as the single high safety and still get there on sideline deep balls like he could 6-8 years ago. And he doesn't tackle, not any more, not after the neck and shoulder injuries. He's getting old. None of this is going to improve. The young QBs don't fear him, they know him only by reputation. And eventually the Bradys and Mannings of the NFL are going to realize it too, and start to take their shots over the middle again. Maybe he'll get a few picks. But he'll also be beat for some scores too, scores that a younger Reed wouldn't have permitted.

What if he finds there's no market out there, and is willing to come back for close to minimum money? It won't happen, but even if it did, why would he? Maybe he decides the interception record isn't worth dragging himself through a few more years for almost nothing, walks out on top alongside Ray. Worse, maybe he checks out a bit, decides he's done enough, that if someone's not going to pay him what he thinks he's worth, he's only going to give them as much as they paid for. Hey, he's human. And proud. He has nothing left to prove to anyone.

There's going to come a time, soon, where Ed Reed has to be put on the bench in favor of a younger player. Do we need to see that happen here, in Baltimore? I say we don't.

Maybe the 2013 Ed Reed will have a few highlight reel plays, prove me wrong. But history has shown across the NFL that it's better to cut ties with a player a year too soon than a year too late. Ed's got his ring. He's done all he needs to do to be a Baltimore legend forever. Let's remember him as the guy who made the pick in the Super Bowl to help us win our second trophy... and not the guy he'll become, the guy some team's fan base looks at and thinks, "we paid how much money for this?"

Some day Ed's going to be in our Ring of Honor, and in Canton, and maybe even get his jersey retired. But Super Bowl XLVII should be his last game as a Raven. I hope Ozzie and company see that too, and don't let emotion and history get in the way of this decision. As always, I trust them to do the right thing here. Shake Ed's hand, thank him for his many wonderful years here, and wish him the best of luck as his career winds down in another uniform.

Blog Entries

Re: I'll come right out and say it: I don't want Ed Reed back

So who plays FS next year?

Blog Entries

Before Ray Lewis announced his intentions to retire, there was some worry around town that the team would have to make the decisions for both Lewis and Reed. Lewis made the decision for himself and it turned about as well as anybody could ask. While we are all glad that Lewis took his future into his own hands and stepped down, I think most of us would be shocked if Reed did the same.

You can still see where he can disguise some coverages and where QBs are still afraid of him. However, he is slower, his tackling has declined dramatically and he just dropped at least a half dozen interceptions that he used to catch in his sleep.

It is time to move on. The idea that we won the Super Bowl with this group, should not blind us to the reality that this group was not without blemish.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Christian Thompson. A new draft pick. The next Bernard Pollard (e.g. a low-cost young free agent from another team). Take your pick. It will be someone cheaper or younger than Reed, preferably both. And in 2013 that player might not play as well as Reed will, but long-term we'll be better off by far, and it will let us keep some other player that we might have had to cut otherwise.

Isn't Thompson more of a strong safety?

Blog Entries

I would have an open competition. James Ihedigbo vs. Draftee vs. Potential FA signing.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Ok. Thanks for you're input.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    With the 32nd pick in the 2013 Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select... Matt Elam, Safety, University of Florida.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

FWIW, I think Gab's post makes sense, although I'd be happy to see Reed back as a Raven for "the right price".

What I find sobering (for lack of a better word) is that Reed could potentially really hurt himself physically if his shoulder (and I guess other parts) are saying, "It's time."

I also recall when Johnny Unitas was unceremoniously shipped off to San Diego. That was a sad time for any BALTIMORE Colts fan, although it was apparent that Unitas was not only past his prime, but perhaps would have been wise to hang up his boots and retire in a more positive light. Not that he couldn't play football anymore, but as a fan then as now, I would have preferred to see him "go out on top", notwithstanding the nonsense that Irsay Sr. (and Joe Thomas to a degree) were unfolding. Similarly, if I had my druthers, I'd like to see Reed say, "Thanks for the memories, Baltimore, but my time is done and I'm goin' fishin'!"

I feel the same way. It is time for him to hang them up. Go out on top Ed. The Ravens need to start the process of replacing him. It will be good to do it while they still have Pollard back there.

Blog Entries

Im mixed on it. I think he still offers a lot to us but at the same time i think he could be replaced in other ways. Im not a fan of letting our legends end their careers in other uniforms. Even if that means we arent fielding the absolute best team we could. I know some wont admit it but lewis was a liability his last 3 or so years here and really wasnt a 3 down lb that we let play 3. Reeds similar, id rather have his leadership and impact on opposing qbs than see him in another jersey for a year or two. Hes still one of the better safeties overall but its unlikely he keeps that up for much longer. His coaching qbility of the secondary should not be overlooked either. Webb and others have expressed how much he means to them by teaching them how to be pros and their responsibilites. I think its worth a yesr or two simply to get first dibs on his coaching career.
    -JAB

I don't disagree. If Reed would be willing to come back on a one or two year deal for about 3-4 million per year, I'd say bring him back. But I think we all know that isn't going to happen.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...