Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Where Does Flacco Rank Amongsts the League's Best QB's?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Just because he's younger, that doesn't mean he should be ranked higher than others who are still better than him. I'm doing a ranking list based on right NOW. I think if this is the Flacco we're going to be getting for the next few years, he'd probably be higher than Eli and maybe even Peyton and Tom Lady, but I still don't 100 % trust Joe to be that consistent. Right now, Joe is the Eli Manning of the AFC, just the way I see it for now, lets see if he changes that perception (which is barely a bad perception anyway).
    No, it doesn't mean that he should be ranked higher. However, there is an element of trends involved in this that a lot of people don't want to factor in.

When you (or anyone) says "Here are the top ranked <insert position here>", then you have to take into account who is trending upwards, who has likely peaked, and who is trending downwards. Prior to Jim Caldwell taking the reigns, many on here thought that Flacco's upward trend had stopped and he had peaked. He was as good as he was going to be. After Caldwell, we clearly saw that Flacco had not peaked and was continuing to trend upwards. Hence, why I think he should be ranked higher than Eli.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    No, it doesn't mean that he should be ranked higher. However, there is an element of trends involved in this that a lot of people don't want to factor in.

When you (or anyone) says "Here are the top ranked <insert position here>", then you have to take into account who is trending upwards, who has likely peaked, and who is trending downwards. Prior to Jim Caldwell taking the reigns, many on here thought that Flacco's upward trend had stopped and he had peaked. He was as good as he was going to be. After Caldwell, we clearly saw that Flacco had not peaked and was continuing to trend upwards. Hence, why I think he should be ranked higher than Eli.
    Not arguing with those facts, but I rank on right now rather than whats going to happen in a few months, depends on what your philosophy is when ranking players I guess.

You guys knocking Luck are insane. He had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever. He took a team that won two games last year and has such a massive talent deficiency that they're sickeningly under the cap and had no business winning more than five this year, and he turned them into an 11 win playoff team who lost to the eventual Super Bowl champions. If you offered me the chance to pick any QB in the NFL for my team for the next decade at absolutely no cost, it's pretty much a no brainer Luck is the guy to choose.

All the guy has done at every single level is play sick football and win games. He's the best QB prospect in the NFL long term and it's not close.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    You guys knocking Luck are insane. He had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever. He took a team that won two games last year and has such a massive talent deficiency that they're sickeningly under the cap and had no business winning more than five this year, and he turned them into an 11 win playoff team who lost to the eventual Super Bowl champions. If you offered me the chance to pick any QB in the NFL for my team for the next decade at absolutely no cost, it's pretty much a no brainer Luck is the guy to choose.

All the guy has done at every single level is play sick football and win games. He's the best QB prospect in the NFL long term and it's not close.

- C -
    I certainly think hes promising and under this fantasy draft would be a top pick for sure, but I dont think we can crown him the best of the next decade, by a long shot no less, based off his rookie season alone. 4400 yards and 23 TDs looks damn good but 627 attempts at 54% to get there with 18 INTs isnt exactly awe inspiring. Theres certainly a case to be made that Flacco is better the next 10 years simply because hes in his peak now as opposed to Luck still needing a few years to get there. what happened in Indy is certainly partially due to his credit (no question hes better than what they had out there last year) but I think its pretty well known that team quit last year when manning went down and didnt perform as well as capable. The coaching staff changed the atmosphere which was also a big factor in the turn around.
    -JAB

My current top ten assuming everyone's healthy.

1. Aaron Rogers
    2. Drew Brees
    3. Tom Brady
    4. Peyton Manning
    5. Eli Manning
    6. Joe Flacco
    7. Ben Roethlisberger
    8. Matt Ryan
    9. Collin Kaepernick
    10. RGIII

Wilson, and Luck just miss out, Luck landed 12th, Wilson landed 11th. I think Lucks slightly overrated at this point, but I think he'll be better than both RG3 and Wilson in time.

I base my list heavily on play off experience/games won, and how long they've been in the league winning games. The top 7 have all won SBs, pretty crazy when you think of it. I wont get carried away yet with the likes of RGIII having a very good rookie year, because they can come back and have an average year, as seen with Cam Newton. For now, I think Kaepernick and RGIII will be very good, but I'm not yet sold on their long term health or play. I think Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson will both overtake them eventually, because they both look to pass the ball first EVERY TIME in the pocket. No matter how good RGIII or Kaepernick are at throwing, they are always going to try and run and will eventually pay for that.

This would be my list, except:
    Place Luck in instead of RGIII.
    I'd then put Newton at 12 and RGIII at 13. I simply think that RGIII is set to have the biggest sophmore slumps of them all(including Kaepernick as a "rookie" despite the fact that he was actually in the league and not really playign last year. I jsut think RGIII's small stature and inability to avoid contact cost him a career changing injury, and post injury he will be a shell of what he was this past year.

After that group come the Staffords, Cutlers, Schaub's, Dalton's, etc... and somewhere after every QB that's decent has been listed, we ist Romo before we get to the craptastic likes of Vick, Fitzgerald, Freeman, Bradford, Tebow, etc. Last would be Sanchez, right after Kolb and Lindley,Gabbert, etc.

- C -
    I agree. Throw all the players onto a list, if I'm the first team to pick a player he would be my pick. He appears to have more staying power then the run-first guy's, from my perspective, and basically everyone's in reference to RGIII, who, IMO at this moment, might not even be a first rounder in that same scenario(injury considered).

Just because he's younger, that doesn't mean he should be ranked higher than others who are still better than him.
    That's the thing though for me - IMO right now he IS better than Tom Brady. Brady has been wilting against good teams in big games the past few years, where as Flacco has been flourishing.

I would not be surprised in the least if Flacco puts up bigger numbers than Brady in 2013.

You guys knocking Luck are insane. He had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever. -
    Not that I agree that Luck won't be great, but 1 year ago people said the same thing about Cam Newton and he followed that awesome season up with a pretty mediocre sophomore campaign.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Not that I agree that Luck won't be great, but 1 year ago people said the same thing about Cam Newton and he followed that awesome season up with a pretty mediocre sophomore campaign.
    This, and the 18 INT's and 54% completion percentage weren't exactly great. I think Luck will be a good, if not great QB down the road, but he still has to prove it, just like Newton did(didn't yet).

1) Brady
    2) Flacco
    3) Brees
    4) Peyton Manning
    5) Eli Manning

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    1) Brady
    2) Flacco
    3) Brees
    4) Peyton Manning
    5) Eli Manning
    Rodgers???

1) Rodgers
    2) Brady
    3) Brees
    4) P. Manning
    5) Roethlisberger
    6) Eli Manning
    7) Flacco