Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The hold on JJ's Kickoff return was legal? MMQB

I just thought it was a missed call (which frankly happens all the time)- but Peter King said that it's legal that Ayanbedejo held the 49 special teamer since he didn't fall to the ground. I have never heard this before- Is it, in fact, legal to hole as much as you want on a kickoff as long as the defender doesn't go to the ground? Why would exception be allowed? This seems bizarre, and counter intuitive.

Blog Entries

Re: The hold on JJ's Kickoff return was legal? MMQB

Quote Originally Posted by cbaywolf View Post
    I just thought it was a missed call (which frankly happens all the time)- but Peter King said that it's legal that Ayanbedejo held the 49 special teamer since he didn't fall to the ground. I have never heard this before- Is it, in fact, legal to hole as much as you want on a kickoff as long as the defender doesn't go to the ground? Why would exception be allowed? This seems bizarre, and counter intuitive.
    I saw that in one of the replays and wasnt sure why it was missed or not talked about. The 49ers, including 49, didnt seem to take issue with it, so it must be at least somewhat common, but looked pretty blatant to me as one of the only guys that could have made the play. If thats the rule its certainly news to me.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Someone mentioned the "defenders blocking perpendicularly" being legal. So I'm not sure if that part of it made it legal, because neither one was truly holding, but they "combined" for it?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Someone mentioned the "defenders blocking perpendicularly" being legal. So I'm not sure if that part of it made it legal, because neither one was truly holding, but they "combined" for it?
    to me it seemed the defender tried to roll off ayabadejo and the other Raven didnt allow him to. To me thats a hold but im not sure about this "perpendicular blocking" allows them to sandwich said player without penalty, basically neutralizing a player.

good view around the 1 minute mark.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-m...kickoff-return
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Mike Pereira explained it as it happened. Two blockers blocking one guy on a kickoff are not flagged for holding unless they bring the guy to the ground. They did not. In fact, if you look at Ayanbadejo and the other Raven (Allen?), they took pains to make sure that Miller stayed up. Miller never complained after the play either.

King learned about the rule between this week and last week.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Two blockers at an angle will almost always envelop one blocker around the body (at least a little bit). If that were holding, you could never have two guys block one guy unless it was right in front of his face.

Unbeknownst to most, that was actually a good no call. The one on Jimmy Smith was also a good no call. And I can even live with the no call on the Torrey Smith would be touchdown at the end of the first quarter. This, in my opinion, is how NFL games should be reffed -- minimal calls and the players settling it mostly.

Blog Entries

Special Teams Yo again!

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

The only one I'd be willing to concede was missed was Ed Dickson holding on the intentional safety. Result of the play is still a safety, but would that add time seeing as he held before Koch went out of bounds?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Solomon Wilcotts yesterday on NFL radio on Sirius said that holding should be called on the Smith/Crabtree play 0% of the time and that essentially Jimmy had the right to the space and the right to handfight back with Crabtree. The host of the show (didn't catch who it was) said that he agreed a "zillion" times over.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    And I can even live with the no call on the Torrey Smith would be touchdown at the end of the first quarter. This, in my opinion, is how NFL games should be reffed -- minimal calls and the players settling it mostly.
    Yeah. Looking at that closely, I don't think the defender really grabs Torrey, just puts his hand on him.

However, earlier in the play, he does jam and redirect him pretty forcefully 9 yards downfield, which I believe would constitute illegal contact and a first down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The only one I'd be willing to concede was missed was Ed Dickson holding on the intentional safety. Result of the play is still a safety, but would that add time seeing as he held before Koch went out of bounds?
    There was about 5 holds on that play (dicksons was probably the least aggressive actually, some guys tackled their man) and i think it was discussed that no time could be added on to the clock regardless. it should have been called and explained but the result was the same regardless.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
    Yeah. Looking at that closely, I don't think the defender really grabs Torrey, just puts his hand on him.

However, earlier in the play, he does jam and redirect him pretty forcefully 9 yards downfield, which I believe would constitute illegal contact and a first down.
    Agreed -- it looks more like illegal contact 10-12 yards past the line of scrimmage. But I am OK with them letting them play consistently like that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    There was about 5 holds on that play (dicksons was probably the least aggressive actually, some guys tackled their man) and i think it was discussed that no time could be added on to the clock regardless. it should have been called and explained but the result was the same regardless.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...hole-in-rules/

I do now remember reading that now.