Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: The National media is OBSESSED since we won the Lombardi

Cary played great in the Super Bowl. I hope he is back but understand it probably will not happen. I don't think he is anything close to an instigator like that d-bag Finnegan.

Also - there is a thread how the hold on the KR was t he right call. Stupid rule maybe, but right call.

The late hit on Flacco was a HUGE call vs the Ravens. We would have been 1st and goal at the 3.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    So... I'm listening to 105.7 this morning and they go to one of Boomer's goofy little clips.. and he's talking about how nice it is that Ray is retiring to spend time watching his son play at Miami. How does Boomer end his clip? By saying, "that's all well and good but Ray still needs to come clean on what happened in Atlanta 13 years ago" WTF!

Then I get to the office and start reading Peter King's MMQB. Pete starts by writing a long diatribe about how he thinks Ozzie and Steve might actually let Flacco go as not to be handcuffed by a monster contract. Then Pete goes off about Cary Williams not being fined or ejected for shoving an official.

As I recall after the Steelers beat Seattle in the game marred by horrible penalties, Pete came out in MMQB the next morning and defended the refs. Funny how it's okay for other teams to get favorable treatment but not us.
    This reminds me when King said Ravens would draft Henne the night before that draft because
    he had the Ravens play book. He fooled me on that one.

Joe wasn't even on my radar being from Delaware and all but I learned to never read
    Peter King again.

ILMAO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Jim Harbaugh should be duct-taped to a chair and made to watch [that replay] until his eyes bleed.
    I have about half a semi trailer's worth of green chiclets left over from the Sun board that I'd love to send your way in appreciation of your comment! :D

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I have about half a semi trailer's worth of green chiclets left over from the Sun board that I'd love to send your way in appreciation of your comment! :D
    I haven't found the slow motion view I say last night, but here's the full speed view from that angle (2:24 mark):

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-...per-Bowl-XLVII

It's much easier to see with the slo-mo, but it's still obvious. Somebody with balls should ask Jim-boy to explain why he thinks this is holding/DPI.

5. Re: The National media is OBSESSED since we won the Lombardi

It couldn't be holding because Jimmy didn't pull Crabtree's jersey away from his body and he didn't let Crabtree get around him while still holding on to Crabtree with his arm across Crabtree's body; Jimmy kept his body in front of Crabtree's and released his grip as he was pushed down, which is then when Crabtree ran around and by him.

It couldn't be defensive PI because there no longer was any further contact while the ball was coming back down from the apex of it's arc--and the ball was uncatchable anyway.

The only call that could've been made against Jimmy was illegal contact as he did keep his hands on Crabtree up to about 1 yard into the end zone--about 6 yards downfield (and the rule is you get 5 yards) but that would've been one of the most ticky tack calls in the history of the Super Bowl.

You (almost) never see officials flag DBs for continuing to jam WRs 6 to 7 yards downfield; they almost always give them more slack--mainly because it's hard to tell in real time just how far the contact is downfield EXACTLY. It only gets obvious once it's past 7-8 yards or so.

Finally, the officials could've also flagged Crabtree for offensive PI as he did push Jimmy down about 2 yards into the end zone, about 7 yards downfield (again you only get 5 yards) but that also would've been ticky tack--and the Ravens would've declined it anyway since the pass was incomplete.

The best the 49ers could hope for was the officials flagging both Jimmy and Crabtree, then with offsetting penalties, they'd have replayed the 4th down, giving the 49ers one more shot.

But after the criticism the officials (rightfully) received after the Seattle-Pittsburgh Super Bowl fiasco, the firestorm that erupted over the replacement refs especially after the Fail Mary, and the potential controversy over the blackout and subsequent 30+ minute delay that occurred during the game, there was NO WAY THE OFFICIALS WERE GOING TO MAKE THAT CALL.

If they had, they (and the blackout) would have become the story, the focal point for decades to come. This current controversy however will blow over and be forgotten about once the new season begins, maybe even by the time the draft rolls around. And it'll even be largely forgotten about by (most) 49ers fans if/when the 49ers do win a Super Bowl in the next few years--much like we're (mostly) no longer bringing up Cundiff/Evans anymore.

You cant call illegal contact or holding, because the ball was in the air already. It's PI, or nothing. It's very debatable if it was OPI, or DPI.