Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: The National media is OBSESSED since we won the Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Not to debate semantics but the ref didn't go on his ass. Ngata pulled Bohger out of that pile. He touched an official too, intentionally I might add.
    Boger was glad it happened.
    On sound FX Boger mentions that a player helped him out.
    That brings up something that's kinda overlooked.
    Sure looks like Bruce Miller is the one that gave Boger a shove and knocked him back.

Oh, P.S.

As for Williams, by all rights he should've been ejected. It would've sucked, and might've cost us the win, but I don't think anyone could argue against it if he had been, let alone penalized. But it is what it is. The refs, to their credit, cut both teams a lot of slack both during and between plays. Probably too much in Cary's case, but it is what it is. FWI, there is precedent, as I believe Cam Newton made contact with a ref this season and wasn't ejected. I think he might've been penalized, though. Either way, I still wouldn't have complained if he'd been tossed, and I definitely think he should've been fined. Terrible precedent by the NFL. I also wasn't thrilled with Williams' post-game comments on it. The quotes I saw were pretty unapologetic. At least Newton apologized to the ref directly during the game, and publicly afterwards, and it seemed like a genuine apology.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Yeah, like I said, the refs gave them a lot of leeway, on both sides. That scrum could've had several players tossed, Williams included. Great job by Ngata there, and Harbs too, which we all saw on Sound FX.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreboy View Post
    Boger was glad it happened.
    On sound FX Boger mentions that a player helped him out.
    That brings up something that's kinda overlooked.
    Sure looks like Bruce Miller is the one that gave Boger a shove and knocked him back.

so youre saying the media and 49ers fans are hypocritical?... consider me shocked.
    -JAB

I disagree, the Ravens have been getting a lot of positive press for over a week now.

They are being celebrated as much as any recent SB champion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    He's right though about Williams, IMO. Williams should have been ejected and it sets a terrible precedent that he's not getting fined and / or suspended. You simply cannot touch a ref. Period. It's all well and good he didn't know that was a ref he was shoving, but that's a mitigating factor once punishment is handed down.
    You are swallowing line, sink and hook the argument made by the opposition on this call. No, Williams should not have been ejected or fined. Contact with refs happens all the time in pile situations. We have seen it time and again. Refs are trained to understand that. How could it be any different if refs are going to be allowed to dive into piles to determine possession or break up fights?

Blog Entries

One guy pops off about Ray and it's a media frenzy? Come on. Boomer is on the radio in NYC IIRC. He has to stir up some noise to get heard. If people respond, they keep saying it. Very simple. Just like on slow days you'll hear some dork on sports radio asking if Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame. Just something to fill air time in the offseason.

As for Cary, you don't hit or make contact with officials, period. The league saw fit to levy no punishment, and heaven knows, Goodell hasn't ever been shy about that, so clearly they must not have thought there was anything to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    You are swallowing line, sink and hook the argument made by the opposition on this call. No, Williams should not have been ejected or fined. Contact with refs happens all the time in pile situations. We have seen it time and again. Refs are trained to understand that. How could it be any different if refs are going to be allowed to dive into piles to determine possession or break up fights?
    Williams stood up and with both hands, shoved the official. That's a FAR cry from the occasional bumping that occurs when a scrum breaks out or when, as you put it, officials dive into piles.

This is the first time I've heard anyone defend Williams this much so I don't think my analysis is far off the mark.

I thought Williams should have been ejected. Bruce Miller as well. And whoever tore Carey's helmet off should have been too.

I was at the game and I thought for sure Williams would get ejected but kudos to the refs for letting the players play. When I refs let that one go it was obvious how they intended to officiate the rest of the game.

Blog Entries

As soon as he pushed the ref I said "OMG he's going to get ejected". As noted above, the refs knew this was the SB and they didn't want to influence the outcome. They let both teams get away with a little bit and I think, did a very good job of not being the deciding factor.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    As soon as he pushed the ref I said "OMG he's going to get ejected". As noted above, the refs knew this was the SB and they didn't want to influence the outcome. They let both teams get away with a little bit and I think, did a very good job of not being the deciding factor.
    I thought the officiating was very good. The refs let both teams play a physical game and called it consistently throughout. I think all their calls were fine, all their non-calls were fine, and I don't normally think that after a game.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.