Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Re: Great Owner in Baltimore

Great to see some others figure out what we've known for years.
    Last edited by GOTA; 02-11-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Blog Entries

I remember a few years ago, there was a story that Steve Bisciotti had gotten upset at the press for saying things about how we lacked a deep threat or something, and he suggested to John Harbaugh that next game, our first play should be a shot to the end zone. John Harbaugh kind've agreed, then when the game came, he ran the ball. Steve said he learned then, you can't be that type of owner to dictate the football moves. A lot of people were up in arms over it, but I understood. He wasn't "Calling the plays" like Irsay was, he just wanted to shut up the critics. But he understood that our coaches have a plan they stick to, and they know what they are doing.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Just think if he owned the O's too.

:)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Just think if he owned the O's too.

:)
    I wish...

Blog Entries

Bisciotti didn't have the money for a team when Petey bought Os but said on radio he'd never own a baseball
    team because it favors the large markets. There's no incentive for an owner to succeed but a small market team
    like Bmore in football can do well with a smart organization.

When he got the Ravens he said from the
    very beginning he'll be a hands off owner and he said that before he talked to Ozzie about that draft. He
    remembered as a fan what Irsay did to the Colts.

I remember that draft and many if not most of the boards wanted Lito. Even at the draft day party at
    the stadium Tom Davis and Tom Matte who did the radio show thought it would be Lito. Matte said he
    was surprised when Oz took Reed.

Kiper said it was the safe pick.

Hell, he should have been the first pick but nobody knew him that well including Oz. I don't think even he
    knew Reed would be the best safety ever but that's just a guess.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Bisciotti didn't have the money for a team when Petey bought Os but said on radio he'd never own a baseball
    team because it favors the large markets. There's no incentive for an owner to succeed but a small market team
    like Bmore in football can do well with a smart organization.

When he got the Ravens he said from the
    very beginning he'll be a hands off owner and he said that before he talked to Ozzie about that draft. He
    remembered as a fan what Irsay did to the Colts.
    It makes sense. Small market baseball teams like Baltimore are hand cuffed because of not having a salary cap and no revenue sharing. Teams like NY and LA can just buy teams.

Blog Entries

Yea and a great movie to see which is on cable is MONEY BALL starring Brad Pitt.

It brings that point up big.

It's the true story about Billy Bean who built the A's, a small market team who lost to the Yankees in the
    final game of the POs before the World Series.

The Yankees had a payroll of $115M while A's had a $39M payroll. Bean turned down the Red Sox job and
    they finally beat the Bambino Curse after 80 years and won the World Series.

Of course, now the Yankees now have over a $200M payroll and Buck's guys almost beat them like the A's with
    just a fraction of that payroll.

“I kind of learned from that point on that I better not engage too much and try and alter their decision-making, or else we would have had Lito,” Bisciotti said.
    So does anyone think that he pulled the trigger on making the change at OC?

Along with Ray Lewis anouncing his retirement, that move was probably the number one event that put us on our way to the Superbowl.

Did he pressure Coach Harbaugh or did he flat out tell him to do it? Or did Harbaugh come to him about it?

Tell you the truth, after Cam Cameron made his comments to the press after he was let go, I think they all discussed it (including Cam) and came to the conclusion as a group. After that either Mr. Bisciotti made the final decision or he defered to Coach.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Not news to anyone that loves the Ravens in and outside of BMore. Some of salty cowboys fans weighed in asking Jerry to pay attention LOL. Best comment is the one below by a fellow ravens fan though.

That is why the Free Agents flock to Baltimore. It is a compliment when Ozzie comes calling. So the Ravens will lose some Free Agents that leave for money (McLain, Grubbs, Jason Smith), but we will pick up some diamonds in the rough that want to win GOLD.

lol I love how they ran with a story that was a simple footnote from pour State of the Ravens presser.

Love B as the owner though - seems very down to earth and LOVES his team in a good, non-smothering way. :D
    Self appointed Ravens SuperFan in the southern hemisphere/New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    So does anyone think that he pulled the trigger on making the change at OC?

Along with Ray Lewis anouncing his retirement, that move was probably the number one event that put us on our way to the Superbowl.

Did he pressure Coach Harbaugh or did he flat out tell him to do it? Or did Harbaugh come to him about it?

Tell you the truth, after Cam Cameron made his comments to the press after he was let go, I think they all discussed it (including Cam) and came to the conclusion as a group. After that either Mr. Bisciotti made the final decision or he defered to Coach.
    Ozzie was asked about the firing of Cam. He said John only sought advice from him and Steve B but ultimately it was John's call. Take it for its worth but knowing Steve B I'm pretty sure he gave his $.02 and let John make the call.