Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Re: Would we cut Suggs to keep Kruger?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    He who has no sin cast the first chide.
    I love sour cream & chides on my baked potatoes..

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Tom Brady took a massive hometown discount to make the team better lol.
    Early on he did. The next one I'm pretty sure he cashed in his chips.

Blog Entries

His cap hit for this season and next is 21.8 million.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-engla...ots/tom-brady/

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    His cap hit for this season and next is 21.8 million.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-engla...ots/tom-brady/
    Since we're on this topic check this out. 3 of their players account for nearly a third of the cap. Yikes.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ercent-of-cap/

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

psl--
    I was laughing at the following reader response/post at your link which is titled "Three Pats consume 35 percent of cap" ---

"When I saw the headline about consumption, I knew Vince Wilfork had to be one of them."

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I never said we should let Suggs go this year. I definitely would not do that. He's the leader of the defense right now.

Reed is a bigger hole than not having him at this point. He took a massive step back this year and has been in decline for the last couple years. There's no reason to expect him to get better, and odds are good he's going to get worse. FO has him as the #1 guy with most broken tackles against for the year. He's ineffective in, if not outright blowing coverage. The only time he intercepts passes is if they're overthrown. The guy was a HoF player, but it's time to let him move on.

It's actually painful to think that Flacco wouldn't be willing to take a bit less to be here. His agent sounds like he's trying to get a max deal, and that's not conducive of putting great players around him who can help make him look even better. I never really understood this. I never understood why guys don't try to do this more. Why take a gigantic deal when instead you could take about half that, get your team to surround you with great players, win a few more Super Bowls and become iconic? You can easily more than make up that difference in endorsements. What I worry most about is that Flacco winds up costing us so much now, he completely hampers our ability to field a team with great players and we never get back to another Super Bowl with him under center. This league is so tight that one or two great players instead of one or two mediocre players can completely make that difference.

- C -
    Echo the sentiments regarding Reed. I hope he retires but regardless I think the Ravens should move on . He avoided contact most of the year. His body is failing him.

I also worry about the impact of Flacco's contract on the rest of the team. If they are going to be around 20m a year I think they have to do it for 8 years. The only thing I can take comfort in is that it is going to drive up the cost of Rogers, Ryan, and the young guys.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    A lot of that was very early on in the year. I think he was still covering fro his hip surgery then.
    I agree, as the season went on he became better and better specifically in that area.

Im surprised so many people are anti-Reed in this thread. To me Reeds best attribute is his ability to read and react to the offense which he still does at a great level. Hes not an all world safety by every measure but hes certainly still one of the best in the game as a whole. Neck injury aside he still influences games whether thats showing up in the boxscore or not. Not much unlike Lewis' last few years here where the leadership outweighed performance. With Lewis gone, we may need some more of that leadership and ability to get the defense in the right positions. Suggs and Ngata are great leaders/players as well but neither really seem like the type to adjust the Defense, Reed fits that mold. At some point Id say the price doesnt match the production, but without saying numbers yet im not sure how we can just say let him go, we dont need him.
    -JAB

lol brady didn't take a hometown discount, he had his contract restructured.

Just thinking out loud here, but if we're envisioning a 4-3, what if we toss Cody out of that starting lineup? The questions are: can Arthur Jones play DT in a 4-3 scheme? He has the build for it (6'3" 313 lbs). And can Pernell McPhee be a 3-down player at DE? Or at least something near that? Because then we'd have:

Def. Line: McPhee - Ngata - Jones - Suggs
    Linebackers: Upshaw - Ellerbe - McClain/McClellan/Draft

I wonder if McPhee might wear down a little at LDE at 280 lbs but maybe not, and he'd be backed up by the beastly Upshaw who is a 272 lb monster truck at SLB, providing extra beef as needed.

This would add speed and pass rush while removing the sluggish Cody from the starting group. Basically I'd rather see McPhee than Cody in the front 7.

Cody would definitely not be a starter, and I think your alignment makes sense. Problem is, I'm skeptical that they can keep Ellerbe. I think you're more likely to have a draft pick in there. I could also see them playing a hybrid, with Suggs switching off between OLB and DE. The rest of your alignment could basically stay the same.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

11. Re: Would we cut Suggs to keep Kruger?

Suggs should be extended until 2017 when he'll be 34 years old.
    Because the best pass rushers are usually still pretty good up to that age.

But I am concerned that he isn't having surgery to repair the partially torn biceps--and that he needed to go to someone else for a second opinion to diagnose that he could rehab it.

I can think of quite a few times when players would seek out 2nd or 3rd opinions telling them they can rehab and avoid surgery for their injury, only to later need surgery after all.

We obviously don't want that with Suggs, especially when his salary takes up quite a bit of our cap space.