Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Will John always get the better of Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    They had just given up a long kickoff return, before they even had a chance to make a stop on the drive they needed to make a stop on to keep the game close, before the power went out.
    I know, I watched the damn game. You said we shut down the pistol, I called bullshit and said we got run on. You said it was because of the blackout, I say that has nothing to do with our strategy to shut down the pistol, so that's where we're at.

Blog Entries

Re: Will John always get the better of Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlestonraven View Post
    I know, I watched the damn game. You said we shut down the pistol, I called bullshit and said we got run on. You said it was because of the blackout, I say that has nothing to do with our strategy to shut down the pistol, so that's where we're at.
    They only scored six points, with two turnovers, before the blackout, and were stuck in third and long, right before it, in a little over a half. I said that they did a good job of stopping the pistol until A.) the blackout, and B.) Haloti Ngata left the game.

Terrell Suggs even went over the statistics before the blackout himself, as a guest on ESPN First Take.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

A "great" strategy for the pistol? They had 180 yds on 6+ ypc. The 49ers came within a cunt's hair of winning, I'm sure they'll be fine.
    I don't believe much of those yards were gained via the pistol formation. Did you see the stats BEFORE the power outage?? They absolutely shut it down. After the power outage, I think we had a bit of a letdown- and the Niners offense changed. BUt versus the pistol, we most definitely contained that well.
    "Sorry officer, nothing wrong here. I'm just watching the Ravens game!"

Blog Entries

Unless we meet in SB in the next two years, we won't be seeing them until 2015 season.

Who knows what the teams will be like by then
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

5. Re: Will John always get the better of Jim?

If you want to argue about the significance of momentum in football games, and how the blackout impacted the game, that's a different argument.

I responded to this thread because I thought the premise of it that:

A) The 49ers are screwed because Jim H. is too excitable.

and B) The pistol is unsustainable as evidenced by our run defense in the super bowl, was absurd.

Got to succeed in the whole game, the pistol accomplished nothing score wise in the first half and did not come thru on the last possesion. Ravens have given up a lot of yardage and still won. Fieldgoals aren't better then touchdowns in the first half. Seen that too many times playing the steelers. A fieldgoal will win it in the end if you are down by 2 points, 9ers needed a touch down and choked with their play calling. Jim inherited a team already put together and added a few players. His love affair with college Qbs who can run and pass is interesting, but will it allow him to win the big game? He shook up the NFL by going with CK and had some success. His team being the better team , no I don't think so. Packers were tired and beatable. Atlanta had that game until ryan made his mistakes. 9er division this year will be more competitive and will hurt the 9ers win column. Good chance they don't make postseason unless Jim Harbaugh gets his team together(who has it better then us, isn't getting them there). His team has to make sacifices by playing like their skills will win it for them, not Jim whining and abusing refereees. That's going to get old with the refs and it will hurt him more then help him. It's the NFL, not the NCAA. Big difference there, NFL refs aren't intimidated by his screaming and acrobatic drama. Had he been composed and rational, he would have called at least one more running play on their final possession. Jim has a lot to learn if he is willing to.

So you just signed up on here, to act like you know what you're talking about when you really don't? Is that where we are at?
    "Sorry officer, nothing wrong here. I'm just watching the Ravens game!"

A "great" strategy for the pistol? They had 180 yds on 6+ ypc. The 49ers came within a air of winning, I'm sure they'll be fine.
    Is that language necessary?
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 02-09-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

A) The 49ers are screwed because Jim H. is too excitable.
    They are. He is. The Ravens clearly had the mental edge, as reflected in the fact they won on most of the key plays in the game (see Filmstudy's analysis for more on that). Jim is wound up way too tight. When it was most needed, I think he failed his team. He was not thinking clearly and his team reflected that. Maybe as he and the 49ers mature, this won't be an issue, but a better coach would have won them that game. That said, he's done a great job there so far.

and B) The pistol is unsustainable as evidenced by our run defense in the super bowl, was absurd.
    Not the Pistol, so much, since that's just a function of where the QB stands taking the snap. Though it does present trouble in blitz pickup, with the RB set up behind the QB at the outset, and that hurt them on the 4th down play where Gore was adrift at sea as Ellerbe forced Kap to throw it away.

But the Read-Option is unsustainable, except as an occasional gimmick like any other kind of option play, or Wildcat, etc. Mainly because QBs have to be able to throw, and the more they are hit, the less they excel at their main job.

A year ago Cam Newton was all anybody could talk about. This year, 90% of NFL fans couldn't tell you what team he's on. RG3 is one more hit away from his 3rd major knee injury (he missed a season in college). He also took a nasty concussion and had to sit out earlier in the season, an injury pattern we've seen before -- with Michael Vick.

He can definitely have a fine career since he can play from the pocket, but his days of running out of the read-option will not be many. If he takes many more risks in that offense, he won't last long enough to become the great pocket passer he could become. Kaepernick is probably in the same boat as RG3. 10 games, so far so good. But if we learned anything from Cam Newton falling to earth and RG3 getting his ass handed to him, it's that the odds don't favor Kaepernick any more than those other two.

I expect the Skins to modify the read-option, as I 've said on here before, to become a "look" rather than a true option. Much like Oregon has done -- they give the look, the QB is a running threat so he can freeze the DE and LBs to an extent, but invariably he hands off, virtually every single time. As long as the threat of RG3 keeps defenses honest, the read-option "look" will remain viable, but if the offense gets to where it actually requires the QB to "keep and run" more than twice a game, it is doomed as an NFL offense. Keep it at 2 QB keeps a game or less, and it remains relevant as a different type of look.

Blog Entries

Jim continues to cheer lead, throw things, have breakdowns and get way too emotional on the sidelines. It does make me wonder if his lack of situational coaching hurts the team

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The pistol formation was very effective throughout the game. Any suggestion otherwise is silly.

Pat Kirwin and others on Sirius NFL Radio pointed out this very fact when analyzing the game this week. The Niners were averaging 8 yards per play out of the pistol formation and then mysteriously, they didn't run one play out pistol during that final goal line stand.

It doesn't diminish what we accomplished. More so, it shows that superior coaching and experience will give you the advantage in clutch situations.

Judging by Jim's public reaction(s) to John, typically silent and aloof, John has always gotten the better of Jim.