Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Will John always get the better of Jim?

The San Fransisco 49ers have been considered one of the favorites to return to the Super Bowl, but I'm not convinced that they have what it takes to win the Super Bowl.

The 49ers came into this game thinking that they could, or had to, win it by bullying the Ravens physically. The Ravens came into the game realizing that they had to execute better. The 49ers came into the game with a clear lack of control over their emotions, starting with the coach. The Ravens came into the game composed.

San Fransisco did not leave the game in a humble manner and I question whether or not they will figure out the problem, before they even get around to fixing it. Yes, they are a very talented team, but there is much that they need to work on. They can't just show up thinking that they are going to physically dominate everybody. They need to take more of an interest in the intricacies of execution.

I don't think their psyche' will change overnight. I expect them to have a more difficult time getting back to the Super Bowl.

The Ravens had a great strategy for the pistol formation. Suggs made sure that Kaepernick was forced to hand off to Gore. Then, they plugged the middle so that Gore wouldn't have anywhere to run. Atlanta couldn't plug the middle, but teams will catch on to this and adjust. It is only a matter of time.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

2. Re: Will John always get the better of Jim?

A "great" strategy for the pistol? They had 180 yds on 6+ ypc. The 49ers came within a air of winning, I'm sure they'll be fine.
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 02-09-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Yeah, we have ladies on this forum. Some language is not appropriate.

Blog Entries

Re: Will John always get the better of Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlestonraven View Post
    A "great" strategy for the pistol? They had 180 yds on 6+ ypc. The 49ers came within a hair of winning, I'm sure they'll be fine.
    Much of that success came A.) after a blackout, when they were given extra time to clear their heads, and B.) After Haloti Ngata got hurt. Besides, the Ravens defense is slow up the middle and they will come across faster defenses.
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 02-09-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

4. Re: Will John always get the better of Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Much of that success came A.) after a blackout, when they were given extra time to clear their heads, and B.) After Haloti Ngata got hurt. Besides, the Ravens defense is slow up the middle and they will come across faster defenses.
    You mean that 30 minute break to clear their heads, that was directly after the other 30 minute break they had to clear their heads? They were running it down our throats before Ngata got hurt, and had been running all over the entire NFL all year long. They've been excellent for 2 years now coming up just short both times. The fact they came up 5 yards short of winning the Super Bowl doesn't mean they have some sort of character flaw dooming their chances, that's ridiculous.

Blog Entries

You mean that 30 minute break to clear their heads, that was directly after the other 30 minute break they had to clear their heads? They were running it down our throats before Ngata got hurt, and had been running all over the entire NFL all year long. They've been excellent for 2 years now coming up just short both times. The fact they came up 5 yards short of winning the Super Bowl doesn't mean they have some sort of character flaw dooming their chances, that's ridiculous.
    They had just given up a long kickoff return, before they even had a chance to make a stop on the drive they needed to make a stop on to keep the game close, before the power went out.

6. Re: Will John always get the better of Jim?

They had just given up a long kickoff return, before they even had a chance to make a stop on the drive they needed to make a stop on to keep the game close, before the power went out.
    I know, I watched the damn game. You said we shut down the pistol, I called bullshit and said we got run on. You said it was because of the blackout, I say that has nothing to do with our strategy to shut down the pistol, so that's where we're at.

Got to succeed in the whole game, the pistol accomplished nothing score wise in the first half and did not come thru on the last possesion. Ravens have given up a lot of yardage and still won. Fieldgoals aren't better then touchdowns in the first half. Seen that too many times playing the steelers. A fieldgoal will win it in the end if you are down by 2 points, 9ers needed a touch down and choked with their play calling. Jim inherited a team already put together and added a few players. His love affair with college Qbs who can run and pass is interesting, but will it allow him to win the big game? He shook up the NFL by going with CK and had some success. His team being the better team , no I don't think so. Packers were tired and beatable. Atlanta had that game until ryan made his mistakes. 9er division this year will be more competitive and will hurt the 9ers win column. Good chance they don't make postseason unless Jim Harbaugh gets his team together(who has it better then us, isn't getting them there). His team has to make sacifices by playing like their skills will win it for them, not Jim whining and abusing refereees. That's going to get old with the refs and it will hurt him more then help him. It's the NFL, not the NCAA. Big difference there, NFL refs aren't intimidated by his screaming and acrobatic drama. Had he been composed and rational, he would have called at least one more running play on their final possession. Jim has a lot to learn if he is willing to.

The fact they came up 5 yards short of winning the Super Bowl doesn't mean they have some sort of character flaw dooming their chances, that's ridiculous.
    You are correct. However, the fact that their head coach shows very little emotional intelligence does indicate that the team has a character flaw, and a serious one at that. Whether or not it dooms their chances for success remains to be seen. You seem angry. Are you?
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 02-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.

I went back to check the stats and, of their 182 yards rushing for the game, 53 came in the first half. Of the remaining 129 yards (I'm not precisely sure when Haloti got hurt but I thought it was about halfway through the 3rd) they got 104 after Ngata left.

So 78 yards rushing through 2.5 quarters and 104 in the final 1.5 quarters after he was hurt. I think it's pretty fair to say that Ngata's injury had a pretty sizeable impact.

Blog Entries

Attachment 1481

Perhaps the add in your OP is telling?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Attachment 1481

Perhaps the add in your OP is telling?
    Where did that come from?

Blog Entries

Where did that come from?
    That's the ad that was there when I opened the thread....

John is a better coach and I'm convinced he knew before the game that the Ravens would win. He said something like 'No matter what happens, I love you' to his bro. He felt bad that his brother was going to suffer defeat. Jim on the other hand, strikes me as a guy who wouldn't have given John's feelings a second thought

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!