Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Will John always get the better of Jim?

I think the Jim Harbaugh factor is going to come into play when they have a bad year. It happens. Injury here or there, couple bad breaks, division teams getting better...It is bound to happen.

When that bad year comes into play, the team will lose it's cool. It won't react in calm, controlled manners and try to rationally dig out. I could see things like locker room divisions, refs looking for penalties (ala the Ravens in '09/'10), coaching meltdowns, etc. I think it'll be interesting to see, if any of those things come up, will Jim step back, take a breath, mature, and channel his inner John/Jack Harbaugh, or will his fiery, whining style just amp up.

You can see a bit of Jim in John at times. Watch SoundFX from the Thanksgiving game last year. Heck, there was even a story from the playoffs where John was instructing players not to scream at the refs and overreact. On the next play, there was a borderline PI not called and John starts SCREAMING at the ref, basically just chucking his own advice.

I don't have the article right now, will need to find it...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

It starts at the top. Jim sets the tone with his Blame Anybody But Yourself mindset. Which quickly bleeds down to the players. Below is an excerpt from interviews with Donte Whitner and Chris Culliver about the Jacoby Jones wide open catch for the third TD.

"Culliver was asked if Whitner was supposed to remain deep. "Yeah," Culliver told the Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows on Tuesday. "Like I said, I don't want to throw nobody under the bus. But I had him and we wasn't on the same page, so it ends up as a touchdown."

Whitner had a different perspective.

"No. No. People don't know," Whitner said. "It's something we call 'pounder' where we're playing man-under (coverage) in a form of quarters where I'm on No. 2 (receiver). Anything that No. 2 does, I'm over him. Then we're playing man-to-man outside. Our corners did a great job all year of playing this coverage. And it just caught him (Culliver). It just caught him. I don't know.

"Chris is man to man, that was his guy. And the guy just got behind him. The guy is extremely talented guy. The guy who caught the football ... he's extremely fast. I don't know. He'll (Culliver) be better next year. He'll be better covering on the outside next year, and hopefully we don't give up those type of plays. But it's the Super Bowl.

"Coverage goes with rush. And on that play, I don't know if we had the best rush. We definitely didn't have the best coverage. So (Ravens quarterback Joe) Flacco was able to step up, throw it deep and that's exactly what we didn't want all week long."
    "

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...acoby-jones-td

Can you imagine this happening at a Ravens press conference? Me neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlestonraven View Post
    The fact they came up 5 yards short of winning the Super Bowl doesn't mean they have some sort of character flaw dooming their chances, that's ridiculous.
    You are correct. However, the fact that their head coach shows very little emotional intelligence does indicate that the team has a character flaw, and a serious one at that. Whether or not it dooms their chances for success remains to be seen. You seem angry. Are you?
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 02-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    It starts at the top. Jim sets the tone with his Blame Anybody But Yourself mindset. Which quickly bleeds down to the players. Below is an excerpt from interviews with Donte Whitner and Chris Culliver about the Jacoby Jones wide open catch for the third TD.

"Culliver was asked if Whitner was supposed to remain deep. "Yeah," Culliver told the Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows on Tuesday. "Like I said, I don't want to throw nobody under the bus. But I had him and we wasn't on the same page, so it ends up as a touchdown."

Whitner had a different perspective.

"No. No. People don't know," Whitner said. "It's something we call 'pounder' where we're playing man-under (coverage) in a form of quarters where I'm on No. 2 (receiver). Anything that No. 2 does, I'm over him. Then we're playing man-to-man outside. Our corners did a great job all year of playing this coverage. And it just caught him (Culliver). It just caught him. I don't know.

"Chris is man to man, that was his guy. And the guy just got behind him. The guy is extremely talented guy. The guy who caught the football ... he's extremely fast. I don't know. He'll (Culliver) be better next year. He'll be better covering on the outside next year, and hopefully we don't give up those type of plays. But it's the Super Bowl.

"Coverage goes with rush. And on that play, I don't know if we had the best rush. We definitely didn't have the best coverage. So (Ravens quarterback Joe) Flacco was able to step up, throw it deep and that's exactly what we didn't want all week long."
    "

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...acoby-jones-td

Can you imagine this happening at a Ravens press conference? Me neither.
    I believe it was Reed on the sidelines saying it reflected on the entire defense when the defense gave up a TD and not just on one player. Harbaugh really has everyone buying into the team mentality and not playing as a bunch of individuals.

I would argue that the Ravens did shut down the pistol and read option almost the entire game, and it will be used as a sort of blueprint. Suggs didn't have stats this game. Why, because he played assignment football and didn't try to be a hero. Their read option was minimally effective. They then attacked our only weakness in putting Davis one on one the entire second half. Most teams won't be relying on 37 year old legs to cover Davis. Our defensive ends both came up huge in this game even with the lack of stats to back them up.

Blog Entries

To answer the question in the thread title: Speaking not as a Ravens fan but solely as someone who was terrorized by his li'l bro for most of our childhood, I sure as hell hope so! :D

I don't know if anybody remembers, but John used to have Jim on our sideline during our playoff games his first 2 or 3 years here...and you could see Jim going more apeshit over bad calls than John.

The 2008 and 2010 Steeler playoff games in particular...you could see his act then. I mean the times they showed our sidelines after debatable calls, Jim, who wasn't even a part of the team was walking out on the field, getting in officials faces and screaming at them.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't know if anybody remembers, but John used to have Jim on our sideline during our playoff games his first 2 or 3 years here...and you could see Jim going more apeshit over bad calls than John.

The 2008 and 2010 Steeler playoff games in particular...you could see his act then. I mean the times they showed our sidelines after debatable calls, Jim, who wasn't even a part of the team was walking out on the field, getting in officials faces and screaming at them.
    Funny now that you mention this I remember. Jim was going nuts then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Charlestonraven View Post
    You mean that 30 minute break to clear their heads, that was directly after the other 30 minute break they had to clear their heads? They were running it down our throats before Ngata got hurt, and had been running all over the entire NFL all year long. They've been excellent for 2 years now coming up just short both times. The fact they came up 5 yards short of winning the Super Bowl doesn't mean they have some sort of character flaw dooming their chances, that's ridiculous.
    I went back to check the stats and, of their 182 yards rushing for the game, 53 came in the first half. Of the remaining 129 yards (I'm not precisely sure when Haloti got hurt but I thought it was about halfway through the 3rd) they got 104 after Ngata left.

So 78 yards rushing through 2.5 quarters and 104 in the final 1.5 quarters after he was hurt. I think it's pretty fair to say that Ngata's injury had a pretty sizeable impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Completely forgot about that.

First time I remember seeing him was when we played the Packers in 2010. It was definitely fuel for the fire when people were screaming at the time about Harbs and his nepotism.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

I would be happy to see Jim be John's bitch for the next 10 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    Off the point, don't you guys find it a bit icky icky of Jim's handling of the Alex Smith situation? I meant, Jim literally pumped him up, assured him that he would be the quarterback, then tried to get Manning, then re-assured Alex, then basically fucked him over once he got hurt. What Jim has been doing to Colin is what he used to do to Alex...
    OR perhaps Jim H. acted like a Head Coach who makes decisive decisions. Starting CK instead of Smith rode his team to the Super Bowl. We were all happy when the Ravens released Cam with only a few games remaining, on a team headed to the playoffs. Jim decided who was best to QB his team, and IMO he was right... Bc