Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Dean Pees deserves a lot of credit

I just clicked on this thread, and the first adverstisement that showed up at the top of the page was for San Francisco Super Bowl Champions gear. OOOPS..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I just clicked on this thread, and the first adverstisement that showed up at the top of the page was for San Francisco Super Bowl Champions gear. OOOPS..
    Same for me just now.

Maybe the ad-placement algorithm thinks this site is in Bolivia, or Mozambique--you know, the kinds of places that clothing is going to end up...:D (This article is a few years old, but you'll get the idea...)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I corrected the title ....

And I'm not going to give Pees as much credit as some.

That defense, all through the playoffs, gave up way too many yards (and points in the Super Bowl). Yes, that goal line stand was amazing but I viewed that as more of a player victory than a coaching one.

Hopefully, younger and faster talent is the solution there.
    Agree completely. I still feel the Ravens players won in spite of Pees and not because of him. Way, way too many yards given up, and the Ravens were fairly in tact against Vick and showed nothing of the Ravens aggressive D that, in McCrary's words, should have pinned their ears back and made Vick react, not the other way around. And losing to Batch!?

Didn't A Thomas falter in NE because his aggressive Raven's style of D wasn't used and he had to play bend not break? Pees was the D coord I believe, I'll have to check, but makes me wonder how will we know when we have another Thomas style player in this style D?

Blog Entries

This was one of the worse defenses in years; not just due to injury. I'm not yet sold on DP

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'm not going to give Pees as much credit as some.
    Just curious, but would you give him more or less credit than Moeller? The OL play really didn't improve until McKinnie reentered the starting lineup & Oher & KO could move to their natural positions.

Meanwhile at one point or another during the year Pees had to deal with injuries to Sizzle, Ray, Pollard, McClain, Webb, Ngata, McPhee, Ellerbe, JSmith, and Kruger. That's more than half the starting lineup plus rotations--& only the last 4 were back at anywhere near 100% for the playoff run.

IMO Pees did more with a chronically depleted defense than Moeller did with the OL until he was able to start three former All-Pros with 9 Pro-Bowl selections amongst them.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Suggs was never better than 50%. Tops
    Agreed. Next season, hopefully he can get back to 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    This was one of the worse defenses in years; not just due to injury. I'm not yet sold on DP
    Agreed. In my mind he isn't aggressive enough to be a Ravens DC. Even with injuries this defense had a lot of talent left. I do give Pees credit for showing up big with the play calling on the last drive, supposedly Harbs was trying to get him to zero blitz on the play that Klapperdick ran out of the pocket to his right. If we would have done that it probably would have been an easy score for him.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Suggs was never better than 50%. Tops
    Agreed.

Considering he had TWO season ending injuries by the end of the year, the fact that he played at all is a credit to how great he is.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    LOL - I always ignore the ads.

Back to the Pees, it sure helped the game for him to move upstairs where he could see better. At the time
    I joked it was HARBs new dog house.

Caldwell moved up there too when he took over.

Just watch, now every Coord in NFL will move upstairs from the side lines.