Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: What I'd like to see done

Ummm nevermind. I thought you proposed moving KO to RT. As long as KO is left at guard I'm cool with whatever they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I do. Under the proposed scenario Oher would be moved to LT from RT, KO from LG to RT and no McKinnie. That would weaken 3 spots along the line. If the only hole we have to worry about is LT, you can scheme to overcome that. Flacco's playoff run should convince them over at the Castle to quit playing musical chairs with the offensive line.
    As far as I'm concerned, the #1 priority for the OL is maintaining the solid wall up the middle of KO, Yanda, and Birk/Gradkowski (if GG can play at a high level). I actually think the performance we got out of McKinnie and Oher is getting overrated in the playoffs compared to the interior OL. McKinnie was good vs. Indy but Oher was bad. Both were great against Denver, admittedly. McKinnie was average at best vs. New England while Oher was good. Then in the SB, neither of them were very good at all. So our OT performance wasn't consistently good apart from one game.

The constant wasn't the OT play, it was the interior OL. They presented an impenetrable wall for Ray and Pierce to run behind while giving Flacco plenty of space to step up and throw in every game. That to me is going to be crucial for 2013.

They CANNOT break up the interior OL next year. They've got to maintain it intact. I don't like Oher at LT at all, but it very well might happen, in which case I would put Jah Reid at RT and hope that the interior will hold up at the level it did in the last 4 games. I'm not sure how well that will work, but at least we'll be strong at 3 spots on the line instead of alternating between strong and weak.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Mods, feel free to merge this w one of the other million offseason threads, but I thought I'd toss my 2 cents into the ring.

Ozzie once said something along the lines of, "I like going into the draft w/o needing to draft a guy to play right away."

Obviously, that's not always possible, but I think it's ideal. It allows you to take BPA, and it allows you to break guys into their roles on merit.

With that in mind this is what I'd like to see done:

1) Obviously, the first order of business is signing Flacco.

2) Then I'd cut Leach, and Birk if he doesn't retire. I love Leach, and I'd be open to bringing him back on the cheap, but he doesn't have much a role in where in this offense is headed. Birk's a great pro, and I wholly expect him to retire, but if he doesn't he ain't worth the scrill. His replacement is already on the roster; he's had a year to learn and prepare, and frankly, he looked alright in limited action this year. Furthermore, flanked by Yanda and KO, GG doesn't need to be a stud.

3) Then I'd extend Boldin for a year if possible; two if he demands it.

4) I say thanks for the memories to Kruger and Williams.

5) I think of our FAs Darnell is the most important to retain. And I'd make that a priority.

6) This might not be popular but I'd do what I could, and I think it'll happen, to retain Reed as well. I don't think he's going to cost big time money, and I think he's more than open to a "hometown discount." But I'd structure the contract so I could cut him after two years, if need be.

The next two things are dependent on money:

1) Resign McKinnie. All things equal I'd rather have him on the roster. That said, I wouldn't make much more of a financial commitment to him than we've made in the last two years. I don't trust him.

2) I'd like to keep Jacoby. I'd extend him if necessary but he makes a lot of money, and I think he's a luxury. I think we could replace him in the draft but I'd prefer not to.

So, if we did those things, including the last two I suggested, I think we would be under the cap, and I think we'd be in good shape going into the future cap-wise. I'm not going to break down the whole 53 but that leaves us w:

Offense

QB- Flacco

RB- Rice and Pierce

LT McKinnie
    LG KO
    C Gradowski
    RG Yanda
    RT Oher

WR- Boldin, Smith, and Jones

TE- Pitta and Dickson

That offense can play tomorrow. If I can't sign McKinnie reasonably I stick Oher back at LT, and find a G or T in the draft. If I sign McKinnie then my tackle depth is on the roster w Oher, KO, and Jah, so I would take a developmental T in the draft, and sign a cheap vet for depth at G and C, in case GG can't cut it. We don't need any play makers.

Defense

DL- Ngata, Jones, Cody McPhee
    OLB- Suggs, Upshaw
    ILB- McLain, Darnell
    CB- Webb, Graham, Smith, Brown
    S- Pollard, Reed

And this is where I spend my draft picks, particularly up the middle. I want a NG, MLB, and S in the draft. And I'd try to weasel an edge rusher too. But, like I said, none of him have to be impact or even start in September. They can be worked in- if they earn it.

So in summation:

1) Try to go into the draft w as few holes as possible. Duh.

2) Focus on the middle of the defense in the draft. Duh. I wouldn't be opposed to trading out of RD 1 much as we did last year to gain another 3rd or 4th. And use my later picks to move around in those midrounds to target specific guys.

I don't think any of this is rocket science or unreasonable, and I fully expect Ozzie do to something very similar to this.

Thoughts??
    Agree with most, but want to keep Birk if he wants to stay. He is a bargain at his price, and played in the top half of his position this year....his knee wasnt bothering him.
    I would keep Kruger over Ellerbe, Kruger is much, much harder to replace and is more important and has just scratched his potential, IMO. Edge rushers are not found on the streets. Team him with a healthy Suggs next year with a good DT play from Jones, Ngata and Mcphee thats a good front. Plus, they can draft a piece to fit the puzzle in the middle with one of thier first few picks. Flacco=priority Number 1, Kruger Number 2.

Blog Entries

Ed Reed has never been open to a hometown discount. He's actually been more vocal about not taking a hometown discount.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

No matter what they do, they are in good hands with Juan Castillo. He has a great reputation for developing young linemen.

Oher back at LT. No NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Michael Oher at LT again would suck. Just being honest.
    I agree, he's a RT period. I'd like to resign McKinnie to a 1 year (reasonable ?) contract. If not,
    I would consider moving KO to LT. I think he may have the stuff to do it. If the coaching staff feels the same way,
    then draft an LG (I don't like Reid of Harwood over there) fairly high... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Ed Reed has never been open to a hometown discount. He's actually been more vocal about not taking a hometown discount.
    "We play football here in Baltimore, and we're going to keep playing football here in Baltimore."

-Ed Reed

If you watched the parade, then you'd know Reed has a real desire to stay here.

Blog Entries

If Ed Reed was just looking to get paid, don't you think he would have an agent? I think all signs are pointing towards him coming back on a fair deal. Plus after watching this city react the way it did to Ray's last ride, he has to know that he has the same thing waiting for him if he finishes it out with the ravens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    If Ed Reed was just looking to get paid, don't you think he would have an agent? I think all signs are pointing towards him coming back on a fair deal. Plus after watching this city react the way it did to Ray's last ride, he has to know that he has the same thing waiting for him if he finishes it out with the ravens.
    Ed Reed has been his own agent for awhile. Doesn't want other people getting in between him and his business.

It's an odd way to go, but in a way I like it. Just makes it tougher because he can't remove himself emotionally from a decision. Negotiations play with the talent wanting a high price and the team wanting a low price. So I'd expect the Ravens to start low. Ed may take that personally and just break off negotiations altogether, whereas an agent would pretend that he wasn't going to speak to the team, then wait for the inevitable phone call.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Ed has to play for the Ravens, in any other city, he would be locked up for looking like a hobo. His personality tells me he stays(maybe coach later on). THe man is loved here in Baltimore and Baltimore will be where he retires. Where can you go with two tickets to paradise?

Oher is our RT. KO our LG. I see us keeping Mck.innie and drafting a LT