Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Well, quite honestly, he does not have to seperate - Flacco just throws it up, and Q muscles it down, without dropping it! As long as he can still jump and out tough the opponent, keep him!
    ^THIS!
    Joe wants to get paid (and will get paid), but if he can structure it in a way that helps keep Boldin for a couple more years, one has to think he'll be somewhat flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    1. Not so sure about that...

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...-receiving.htm

Boldin is currently 7th in both receptions and yards in Ravens history. Needs a little over 3000 yards and a little under 300 receptions to best Mason, who is tops in both. And Mason seems to frequently be not ROH worthy...

Don't get me wrong, I think Boldin's impact to the team was much more than Mason's, but in terms of where he sits in the franchise's history, I think you'd have to put in Heap and Mason before Boldin can get in. Hell, he's still behind TRAVIS TAYLOR right now (He'll bust that up in 2013 easily).

2 is possible, he's already over 10000 receiving yards, and has 772 receptions. So three more years might get him to 1000 career catches, and hopefully up near 13000 yards. Still, it'll be a tough call, because he's not even tops in the active NFL for those categories (7th in yards, #6 is Fitzgerald...Tied for 4th in catches, if you take out TEs)

In comparison, here's a name...Henry Ellard. 814 catches, 13777 yards, 65 TDs. Retired since 1998. Not a HOF finalist.
    All well and good but stats don't decide who gets in the RoH ....

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/...-of-honor.html

I'd say he meets the criteria to a T.

Blog Entries

Re: Boldin says he will retire if released (Merged)

Also, I think the Ravens will count Boldin's career stats, not just his stats for the Ravens....

Q is one of the guys that I was most happy for. I hope we can retain him without hurting ourselves too much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    All well and good but stats don't decide who gets in the RoH ....

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/...-of-honor.html

I'd say he meets the criteria to a T.
    Question: Do you count Mason as RoH worthy?

To me, I do. And yes, I would put Boldin in the RoH, but I think it'd be weird to keep Mason out (for reasons like he was on the Titans longer than Ravens, didn't win a SB, etc) while putting in a receiver who didn't do as much as him.

Then again, I still think Ed Mulitalo belongs in the RoH, simply because of how awesome he was off the field.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Mason? No. His antics, leading up to and including his assault on Joe in Carolina, preclude him IMO. Too much of a "me" guy for my taste.

Boldin? Yes. The consummate teammate whose charitable work is something every player should strive for.

Blog Entries

To play Devil's Advocate, what about Jamal?

Jamal is our franchise leader in rushing, and was a huge part of our SB 35 squad...but his last few years here were rough, I recall him getting pouty and when he went to Cleveland, held onto a bit of animosity. He let it go after he was done there, but again...He would seem to me to fit the same flaws that Mason had, but he is in the RoH.

You may be right. I always took Mason's outbursts like that for just game passion, but you don't see any of that from Boldin. Couple more years of Boldin being productive with Joe and I think Boldin's case does surpass Mason's. If Boldin retired today, I think it'd be borderline.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    I disagree. Boldin lights people up, Heap got lit up. Boldin is WAY stronger than Heap. Well Boldin might not "light" people up but he's definitely more physical than most CBs.
    Well at times he does light people up, and appears stronger than DEs

E.g. at 3:40 in this clip.

Would love to see him for another season.

Blog Entries

Jamal is our franchise leader in rushing, and was a huge part of our SB 35 squad...but his last few years here were rough, I recall him getting pouty and when he went to Cleveland, held onto a bit of animosity. He let it go after he was done there, but again...He would seem to me to fit the same flaws that Mason had, but he is in the RoH.

You may be right. I always took Mason's outbursts like that for just game passion, but you don't see any of that from Boldin. Couple more years of Boldin being productive with Joe and I think Boldin's case does surpass Mason's. If Boldin retired today, I think it'd be borderline.
    Jamal, like Boldin, has ring. It makes a big difference, IMO. You think McCrary would be in there without the ring? Or Stover?

I wasn't thrilled about Jamal, for the reasons you mention, but I can see why he got in. He did a ton if work with inner city outreach programs.

That seems to be the one factor that makes or breaks if you get in or not, after being a true team player.

Blog Entries

Fair enough, but I still think we see Mason in the Ring of Honor in a few years. We're going to have a slight bit of backlog with Heap, Ray, and possibly OJ Brigance, but I could see a Jamal case happening with Mason (Jamal retired a few years ago, but we inducted him this year when we didn't have any more obvious candidates "ready")

I agree he is a tough case, and I think if Boldin's numbers get closer, the ring and his attitude and toughness put him in better position.

Off topic a bit...but do you think Heap goes in this year, or Ray? It would hands down be Ray, but if the statue for him isn't happening this year, I could see them waiting until 2014 and doing it all in one fell swoop.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Jamal, like Boldin, has ring. It makes a big difference, IMO. You think McCrary would be in there without the ring? Or Stover?
    Stover most definitely. He was MR. RAVEN for gosh sakes. Seriously, the ring on Stover's finger was probably a distant 4th or 5th on the reasons why he was inducted.

McCrary, you have a stronger case on. He was 2nd in career sacks to Boulware at the time he retired...but I always thought a big reason for him getting in was the way he destroyed his body in 2001 and 2002 to try to keep it going for the Ravens. That guy knew his knees were getting ruined, but kept plugging away anyway.